• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comic Collecting After 55

201 posts in this topic

I'll be 58 later this year and am in the process of selling off my collection. I honestly don't enjoy reading even the classic stories much anymore. Am currently reading the Master of Kung Fu Omnibus and am not that thrilled with a series I used to love. I enjoy bargain hunting but the thrill is getting the book at X and selling it for Xplus.

Right now I'm selling the flotsam and jetsam from my hoard, about $500-$1,000 worth a month. At this rate, I figure it will be years before I get to the stuff I really like. I've an almost complete collection of Marvel Omnis of the SA books. They'll be here until the end.

So what is the stuff you really like that you are trying to buy? Or do you just mean you want to finish your SA Marvel Omni collection?

I'm only 50 and only recently got back into collecting actively. Still have all (most) my books from when I was collecting as a kid with a paper route in the mid 1970s.

My guess is there are many collectors on this site who are 50+ and have been doing this a looooong time. We were among the last ones who bought old school pulp books from the "news stand" (or in my case the 7-11 racks) as far as I can tell. That changed the hobby immensely imo from something aimed at kids to focusing on adults.

Same here

I just turned 50 and definitely remember the spinner racks at the local stationary stores. I read Archie and Richie rich practically from birth then started collecting marvels around 5th grade. Stopped in 8th grade and started again at age 41. I loved FANTASTIC FOUR and xmen in the 80's. Now I like GA and marvel keys.

Am currently reading the Master of Kung Fu Omnibus and am not that thrilled with a series I used to love.

I read some recently and got the same reaction. Even the Gulacy and Zeck art didn't seem that special anymore. They've both done better.

I'll be 58 later this year and am in the process of selling off my collection. I honestly don't enjoy reading even the classic stories much anymore. Am currently reading the Master of Kung Fu Omnibus and am not that thrilled with a series I used to love. I enjoy bargain hunting but the thrill is getting the book at X and selling it for Xplus.

Right now I'm selling the flotsam and jetsam from my hoard, about $500-$1,000 worth a month. At this rate, I figure it will be years before I get to the stuff I really like. I've an almost complete collection of Marvel Omnis of the SA books. They'll be here until the end.

So what is the stuff you really like that you are trying to buy? Or do you just mean you want to finish your SA Marvel Omni collection?

I like Schomburg war covers, especially the Cap and Torch ones, but as I said, I like buying bargains and selling them. This week I won a book for $130 I think I can list and sell for $250 easily. That's how I enjoy the hobby these days.

I too have put together an almost complete collection of Omnibus and Absolute Editions.

I figure I have years of reading ahead of me...and if I ever read them all, start back over again.

I don't own a single CGC or raw comic anymore. Just the hardcovers.

I am 62. Started reading books as a kid - Archie, Casper, Hot Stuff, Turock,etc - then the Superman DC stuff. Connected with ASM, Thor, FF and then it was Marvel comics after that until high school.Started buying and collecting comics after the Spider-Man 1 movie. Put together runs of ASM, FF, JIM/Thor, Avengers, DD, ST, TOS/Iron Man, etc so I feel pretty much done. I still may upgrade an issue if I find the right book at the right price. But lately I would rather buy a Gibson guitar than a SA Marvel key. Plan to sell off the collection after retirement to supplement my income.

Punyhuman, what kind of guitar do you play?

Not quite 55 yet. Will be 52 in about a month or so. I can't say I'm a really huge collector to begin with. I jumped back into this hobby in 2010 after a 30 year hiatus, and even then, my buying habits were very focused. Over the last two years, I would say I'm buying fewer and fewer books, but that hasn't taken the enjoyment out of what I'm doing. Once I completed my Adams Bats and Smith Conan runs, I'm pretty satisfied with what I have.

In truth, comics is just one of many past times I have. Between the job and family, I don't have that much time during the course of a day anyway. This particular "hobby" is a lot easier to slip in during the day versus going out to the target range or fishing for example.

I am 62. Started reading books as a kid - Archie, Casper, Hot Stuff, Turock,etc - then the Superman DC stuff. Connected with ASM, Thor, FF and then it was Marvel comics after that until high school.Started buying and collecting comics after the Spider-Man 1 movie. Put together runs of ASM, FF, JIM/Thor, Avengers, DD, ST, TOS/Iron Man, etc so I feel pretty much done. I still may upgrade an issue if I find the right book at the right price. But lately I would rather buy a Gibson guitar than a SA Marvel key. Plan to sell off the collection after retirement to supplement my income.

Punyhuman, what kind of guitar do you play?

You can have both you know. I've been collecting comics since I was around 10 and playing guitar since I was 13. Am also over 55 and still doing both.

I was collecting a few years before I bought Overstreet #2. Hitting used book stores, swapping with kids in the neighborhood, Rogofski catalogs, The Buyer's Guide ect. I picked up and slowed down over the years. It was always about "the hunt" I was lucky enough to have picked up some great stuff over the years. Comics and Guitars as well as some motorized "toys" as well...

Spinner racks :cloud9:

Glad to hear there is a collecting life after 50 !

I'll hit that milestone next week and like many, my current return to collecting has been with a narrow focus supplemented by Omnis & TPB reprints of material I wanted to revisit from my earlier days.

Got back to hitting local cons & shows and even a few shops. Now when I travel for work, I try to hit an LCS in every city if I have a chance.

And of course, the everlasting source of entertainment on these boards also keeps things interesting.

Thanks to the generation before me that saved this stuff to share with us new guys !

-bc

Hi,

I just turned 50. I collected from age 8-18 but stopped completely when I went to college. About 13 years ago I was a late comer to eBay. I have been collecting since that day.

I am trying to put together a FF run from 1-295. I try to buy other Silver and Bronze age keys. I also am an Adam's fan, especially the GL run.

Thanks!

I'm only 50 and only recently got back into collecting actively. Still have all (most) my books from when I was collecting as a kid with a paper route in the mid 1970s.

My guess is there are many collectors on this site who are 50+ and have been doing this a looooong time. We were among the last ones who bought old school pulp books from the "news stand" (or in my case the 7-11 racks) as far as I can tell. That changed the hobby immensely imo from something aimed at kids to focusing on adults.

Same here

I just turned 50 and definitely remember the spinner racks at the local stationary stores. I read Archie and Richie rich practically from birth then started collecting marvels around 5th grade. Stopped in 8th grade and started again at age 41. I loved FANTASTIC FOUR and xmen in the 80's. Now I like GA and marvel keys.

That makes me the runt of you puppies lol I'm turning up at 48 soon and like you both above in these posts. I had started in late 1973 with Disney, Richie Rich and Archie off the spinner racks and wall racks in local grocery or drug stores. I soon add Superman, Hulk, FF and many others later until 1990s. Took a break and return back to rediscover my focus on pre-1980s comic collecting.

And I have my spinner rack to remind me why I love reading the comics. :cloud9:

I am 61 and did not join the boards until after I retired at 55. I worked seventy hours per week, so there was not much extra time except for work, sleep, eat, maintain the house, and take care of others.

I did buy silver age comics off the newsstands and at drug stores in the early sixties and felt lucky to have been a youngster during the beginning of the Marvel silver age. I bought mostly silver age Marvel, some DC and Richie Rich. There was a used junk shop that sold old comics for a nickel a piece or three for a dime. I bought from classmates that wanted to get rid of their comics.

I started hard core collecting in 1971, since my parents moved to within walking distance of the late Gary Arlington's San Francisco Comic Book Company. Again, my focus was on silver age Marvel. I bought my first GA book, Superman 22, from Gary.

In 1973, I attended UC Berkeley and moved within blocks of Comics & Comix. I started collecting Carl Barks Donald Duck and what I would call square jaw Batman.

Over the years, I always collected comics, but started doing other things, automobiles, pinball machines, firearms, and sports and non-sports cards. I completed my Barks set, early Spiderman, Avengers, FF, Tales of Suspense, X-Men, Incredible Hulk, Journey into Mystery, etc. I also collect and enjoy OA from Wally Wood, Spoon Sprang, Russ Heath, and Mark Schultz (super nice guy). I also have ASM Ditko and Avengers Kirby pages.

I had been planning my retirement since I began my professional career at 24. I retired earlier than I had planned, because my parents needed help and I could easily retire. All along, I always went to my LCS, which changed over the years as stores closed.

After I discovered the boards, I met many super nice boardies in person. After 55, I bought my favorite Alex Schomburg CA covers, GA Joker covers, Batman 1, Dan DeCarlo and Matt Baker books. I do not invest in comics. I only spend disposable income on comics. My two regrets are that I did not attend SDCC until late 80's and not joining the boards earlier. I have attended LSCC (London Super Comic Con), Wizard Chicago, NYCC, and numerous local cons.

In planning my estate, a prominent boardie has promised to purchase my entire collection. He knows who he is. I never sold anything, but did do a big trade. I have given away many comics, including ASM 129 that I purchased off the newstand.

I have good stuff, but not as cool as WooWoo, Robot Man, or Primetime, three cool boardies that I have met in person.

I am 61 and did not join the boards until after I retired at 55. I worked seventy hours per week, so there was not much extra time except for work, sleep, eat, maintain the house, and take care of others.

I did buy silver age comics off the newsstands and at drug stores in the early sixties and felt lucky to have been a youngster during the beginning of the Marvel silver age. I bought mostly silver age Marvel, some DC and Richie Rich. There was a used junk shop that sold old comics for a nickel a piece or three for a dime. I bought from classmates that wanted to get rid of their comics.

I started hard core collecting in 1971, since my parents moved to within walking distance of the late Gary Arlington's San Francisco Comic Book Company. Again, my focus was on silver age Marvel. I bought my first GA book, Superman 22, from Gary.

In 1973, I attended UC Berkeley and moved within blocks of Comics & Comix. I started collecting Carl Barks Donald Duck and what I would call square jaw Batman.

Over the years, I always collected comics, but started doing other things, automobiles, pinball machines, firearms, and sports and non-sports cards. I completed my Barks set, early Spiderman, Avengers, FF, Tales of Suspense, X-Men, Incredible Hulk, Journey into Mystery, etc. I also collect and enjoy OA from Wally Wood, Spoon Sprang, Russ Heath, and Mark Schultz (super nice guy). I also have ASM Ditko and Avengers Kirby pages.

I had been planning my retirement since I began my professional career at 24. I retired earlier than I had planned, because my parents needed help and I could easily retire. All along, I always went to my LCS, which changed over the years as stores closed.

After I discovered the boards, I met many super nice boardies in person. After 55, I bought my favorite Alex Schomburg CA covers, GA Joker covers, Batman 1, Dan DeCarlo and Matt Baker books. I do not invest in comics. I only spend disposable income on comics. My two regrets are that I did not attend SDCC until late 80's and not joining the boards earlier. I have attended LSCC (London Super Comic Con), Wizard Chicago, NYCC, and numerous local cons.

In planning my estate, a prominent boardie has promised to purchase my entire collection. He knows who he is. I never sold anything, but did do a big trade. I have given away many comics, including ASM 129 that I purchased off the newstand.

I have good stuff, but not as cool as WooWoo, Robot Man, or Primetime, three cool boardies that I have met in person.

Sounds like you did a big trade, what did you end up keeping that you felt had to stay with you?

Hi,

I just turned 50. I collected from age 8-18 but stopped completely when I went to college. About 13 years ago I was a late comer to eBay. I have been collecting since that day.

I am trying to put together a FF run from 1-295. I try to buy other Silver and Bronze age keys. I also am an Adam's fan, especially the GL run.

Thanks!

Wow that's quite a lot of issues, are you going to have all the 295 graded? If so do you have a certain grade threshold, like do you only get the top tier grade for a particular issue or as long as you have it in whatever condition you're fine with it?

Sounds like you did a big trade, what did you end up keeping that you felt had to stay with you?

During the mid-seventies, I wanted to complete my Carl Barks collection. Four Color 9 was considered a rare and desirable comic book. One dealer had a poor but complete copy with amateurish restoration. I traded an Avengers 1,2, FF 6, 9, Conan 1,2,3, and a rare Donald Duck forties movie poster (Drip Dippy Donald) for the Four Color 9. The Donald Duck movie poster, which cost me $60, is worth thousands, whereas the Four Color 9 is worth probably less than trade value. I actually tacked the movie poster on the wall. The Donald Duck movie posters are exceptionally rare, but I didn't know that. I have two copies of Four Color 9. Before the internet, you really have to look hard to find old comics. I never found another copy of that movie poster, but I am not looking very hard.

I have plenty of original movie posters that I paid $4 each, Enter the Dragon, Goldfinger, etc. There was a shop close by that sold old and new movie memorabilia.

During the mid-seventies, I wanted to complete my Carl Barks collection. Four Color 9 was considered a rare and desirable comic book. One dealer had a poor but complete copy with amateurish restoration. I traded an Avengers 1,2, FF 6, 9, Conan 1,2,3, and a rare Donald Duck forties movie poster (Drip Dippy Donald) for the Four Color 9. The Donald Duck movie poster, which cost me $60, is worth thousands, whereas the Four Color 9 is worth probably less than trade value. I actually tacked the movie poster on the wall. The Donald Duck movie posters are exceptionally rare, but I didn't know that. I have two copies of Four Color 9. Before the internet, you really have to look hard to find old comics. I never found another copy of that movie poster, but I am not looking very hard.

I have plenty of original movie posters that I paid $4 each, Enter the Dragon, Goldfinger, etc. There was a shop close by that sold old and new movie memorabilia.

If you could get that poster back, your Four Color 9 and the poster are a perfect pair. :)

I'll be 53 in January, started collecting in '72 with 'The Mighty World of Marvel' .. stopped collecting in the early '90's, when (for me) Comics went pear-shaped :P

I felt the love again in 2000 and have been on a roll ever since. I love the hobby now more than ever :banana:

59 in 2 weeks. the details of my childhood are quite inconsequential (oops thought his was the Austin powers recap forum). purchase my first superhero comic off the rack in 1970 (think it was) captain America #112 (hulk issue) and attended my first comic con in buffalo at the statler hotel in 1974 (still have the program from it) held 5 copies of unbagged amazing fantasy 15 in my hands (and wondered how far I would get if I started running) dealer wanted $150 per book on these (wished i'd have purchased one but at 17 who had $150 extra)....... Spidey was my favorite character at that time along with ff (could have purchased a ff #1 at queen city comics and books & coins on bailey avenue in 1972 for $31 (again didn't have the $$$) I purchased back issues of asm from issue #80 heading downward to about issue # 16 or so and then stopped and quit buying comics from the mid 70's until the late 90's (family issues kids, marriage etc) when my wife said you never buy something for yourself and I always wanted that incredible hulk #1 that I saw on ebay and won. (beat up but complete) purchased this in early 2000 and had some extra books to sell. and found out about the "internet" and the old wizard web site there before they crashed and burned and started buying collections and bulk and sold a few and bought more and continued with this along with ebay and 20 years later my 12 long box collection has grown into a 40 short box collection of my own books and about 80 short boxes of books to sell that I do on ebay at local cons, my own garage con held yearly and on cpg.com. it gives me something to do in my spare time and hobby has been great. It always is interesting that books I bought off the rack hulk 181, asm 129, giant size x-men #1, uncanny 94-100, are under glass at shows (not golden aged books bronze and silver). continued to fill in holes and trying to complete my asm collection from 1-700 and am missing 1-4, 6,9, 14 at this point (and will finish before I am done collecting. will give a run of uncanny x-men, capt America, hulk and avengers to my 2 sons and nephews (to remember me by) but the rest will be sold sooner rather than later, but hobby has been really great way to spend some time

I remember going to Gary's shop on 23rd Street in 1975 shortly after I got into comics (I was pretty young so my dad drove me there) and being blown away by the stuff in his shop and a shop down the street that was run by a guy named Scott, if I remember right...good memories!

I'm 65 and retired but have been a comics dealer for the past 40 years. I've slowly been down-sizing my collection and don't buy anything to keep.

There are so many baby boomers down-sizing that I'm inundated with requests to help them sell their collections. I've carved out a great niche doing this in Chicago.