• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CGC Not Grade Weird Tales (1923)

5 posts in this topic

Not just that. Overhang is a big deal - over 70+ years they get wrapped around the book (that's if things work out right) and you don't really want to open it up and disturb things. This from a prominent boardie into pulps, detective35DF:

I remember asking Steve Borock about it and at the time he said "no chance" because besides the overhang problem, he said that page count would be an nightmare, (the number of pages, the fact the the quality control on pulp paper is not great, so you end up having one page cut shorter than the next, some stick together and are diffuclult to separate etc). Add to this, pulps in different years of the 30's etc., changed sizes, even within the same titles, and it would be a nightmare in having to create various slab sizes. Yes it would be easier to slab pulps that are cut flush from the factory (like the 1940's pulps and the Amazing Stories bedsheets), but the amount of time it would take to grade pulps would just be too time consuming, for CGC and would be too cost prohibative, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dwight

Not just that. Overhang is a big deal - over 70+ years they get wrapped around the book (that's if things work out right) and you don't really want to open it up and disturb things. This from a prominent boardie into pulps, detective35DF:

I remember asking Steve Borock about it and at the time he said "no chance" because besides the overhang problem, he said that page count would be an nightmare, (the number of pages, the fact the the quality control on pulp paper is not great, so you end up having one page cut shorter than the next, some stick together and are diffuclult to separate etc). Add to this, pulps in different years of the 30's etc., changed sizes, even within the same titles, and it would be a nightmare in having to create various slab sizes. Yes it would be easier to slab pulps that are cut flush from the factory (like the 1940's pulps and the Amazing Stories bedsheets), but the amount of time it would take to grade pulps would just be too time consuming, for CGC and would be too cost prohibative, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dwight

Thanks that was very insightful!