• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to CGC; What to do with Mylar Sleeve Flap

17 posts in this topic

After paying for my submission it says:

Shipping Your Books to CGC

We recommend that you place each comic carefully in a Mylar or poly bag WITH a backing board. Please do not use the Mylars that have a flap at the top.

The comic should be in the bag or Mylar sleeve with the top of the book closest to the opening. One piece of tape is sufficient for a poly bag (affixed so the tape is on the BACK of the comic) Do not use tape to seal a Mylar sleeve!

I only have Mylar sleeves (Mylites 2), should I just not tape the flap and fold it? Or should I cut the flap off?

Crease the Mylite2 with your thumbnail, where the fold will be, after putting only a full back inside of the Mylite2.

Now the mylite2 will seal tightly with 2 small pieces of tape, with no air bubble behind the flap.

Air bubbles=asking for spine ticks while book is in transit

Apply 2 SMALL pieces of scotch gift tape on the flap, even with gift tape, I like to stick it to my thumb a few times first, so it's easier for the graders' to remove the book without having to exert pressure on the board or cut the tape.

....make sure that 1 of the 2 pieces of tape is far away from the side where the spine will lay.

Put the other piece of tape where you normally would put it, when using 2 pieces if tape on a bagged/boarded book.

Dunno what kind of book you're subbing but if it's a modern, I'd suggest using standard size Mylite2 & standard suze fullbacks.

And use *3* full backs per mylite2.

It sounds wasteful but 3 full backs cradles a spine perfectly as rigid as can be.

Here's an alternative "no tape" recipe:

Ingredients for your basic copper-modern book:

1 standard-sized comic book

1 Gerber 725 Mylite2 sleeve

1 Gerber 700FB full-back board

1 Ultra-Pro resealable golden size comic bag or equivalent.

Directions:

Gently rest comic book on full-back. Gently slide comic book and full-back into the Mylite2 sleeve, with the top of the book toward the bottom of the Mylite2 sleeve (upside-down). Gently remove any air pockets. Fold the flap of the Mylite2 to close the opening, which is at the bottom. Apply a firm crease (use your thumbnail, butterknife, etc.), Slide the comic rightside-up into the resealable polybag. Remove any air pockets. Seal the bag. Ready for lift-off.

Here's an alternative "no tape" recipe:

Ingredients for your basic copper-modern book:

1 standard-sized comic book

1 Gerber 725 Mylite2 sleeve

1 Gerber 700FB full-back board

1 Ultra-Pro resealable golden size comic bag or equivalent.

Directions:

Gently rest comic book on full-back. Gently slide comic book and full-back into the Mylite2 sleeve, with the top of the book toward the bottom of the Mylite2 sleeve (upside-down). Gently remove any air pockets. Fold the flap of the Mylite2 to close the opening, which is at the bottom. Apply a firm crease (use your thumbnail, butterknife, etc.), Slide the comic rightside-up into the resealable polybag. Remove any air pockets. Seal the bag. Ready for lift-off.

But if the Mylite 2 is upside down, doesn't it go against their intruction to:

The comic should be in the bag or Mylar sleeve with the top of the book closest to the opening

Crease the Mylite2 with your thumbnail, where the fold will be, after putting only a full back inside of the Mylite2.

Now the mylite2 will seal tightly with 2 small pieces of tape, with no air bubble behind the flap.

Air bubbles=asking for spine ticks while book is in transit

Apply 2 SMALL pieces of scotch gift tape on the flap, even with gift tape, I like to stick it to my thumb a few times first, so it's easier for the graders' to remove the book without having to exert pressure on the board or cut the tape.

....make sure that 1 of the 2 pieces of tape is far away from the side where the spine will lay.

Put the other piece of tape where you normally would put it, when using 2 pieces if tape on a bagged/boarded book.

Dunno what kind of book you're subbing but if it's a modern, I'd suggest using standard size Mylite2 & standard suze fullbacks.

And use *3* full backs per mylite2.

It sounds wasteful but 3 full backs cradles a spine perfectly as rigid as can be.

But doesn't the instruction say if using Mylar sleeves to not tape?

The comic should be in the bag or Mylar sleeve with the top of the book closest to the opening

Bah! I've been submitting comics the same way for over a decade. Never an issue. It works just as well for me, CGC, and Bobby McGee. :cool:

Ultimately, the position of the printed book - top, bottom, up, down - doesn't matter as long as it's secure and protected. It's just that the rightside-up position of the polybag helps keep the fold of the inserted Mylite2 closed at the bottom.

I really don't like using tape, at all, and that's the motivation for me to do it this way.

Here's a visual:

IMG_6826_zpstue8z9st.jpg

When I ship my raws, I am going to protect them in the best way possible = heck with the 'instructions'. I do think it's a good idea to consider the removal of the book, to make it easy. Personally, I think tape on a mylar 2 is dangerous for it's removal. The flap upside down is cool.

OK, I have them in Mylites 2 with full backs and one tape on each flap.

When I ship my raws, I am going to protect them in the best way possible = heck with the 'instructions'. I do think it's a good idea to consider the removal of the book, to make it easy. Personally, I think tape on a mylar 2 is dangerous for it's removal. The flap upside down is cool.

Why is tape on a Mylite 2 with a flap dangerous as opposed to a Polybag flap taped?

OK, I have them in Mylites 2 with full backs and one tape on each flap.

Why is tape on a Mylite 2 with a flap dangerous as opposed to a Polybag flap taped?

Good question. Basically, the tape seems harder to remove on the Mylite 2. The mylite2 can be very sharp on the corners. I get nervous about catching it. I like to use an oversized polybag or mylite in a mylar. This way, when pulling the book out, it is protected by the polybag/mylite. Also, use a tape that comes off easy. Clear tape seems the worst, very sticky.

Bah! I've been submitting comics the same way for over a decade. Never an issue. It works just as well for me, CGC, and Bobby McGee. :cool:

Ultimately, the position of the printed book - top, bottom, up, down - doesn't matter as long as it's secure and protected. It's just that the rightside-up position of the polybag helps keep the fold of the inserted Mylite2 closed at the bottom.

I really don't like using tape, at all, and that's the motivation for me to do it this way.

Here's a visual:

IMG_6826_zpstue8z9st.jpg

It is much more likely that there has never been an issue, that you have attributed to how you ship books.

I see that the book fits loosely in the bag & board combo i.e. there's no tape securing the flap...so the book is free to move around.

Also, you are using a single BCW/cheapy backing board...which looks like it's not even a full back?

No bueno.

I bet there have been a lot of moderns that you have subbed and that came back around 9.4/9.6.....would have gotten 9.8's, if you had taken more precautions.

Read more carefully, brother.

I use Gerber full-backs; not cheap flimsy boards. Where do you get this? Also, the polybag is not open when it goes to CGC. It's in a resealable bag that I will close tightly. In the photo, I was only demonstrating the position of the Mylite2 in the polybag.

And why are you knocking me? I have a very good track record when submitting books. If it's a 9.8 when I submit, it will come back 9.8, period. I prefer to save my books and drop them off to CGC at a comic con anyway.

My contribution to this thread is to show that tape is not a necessary ingredient. There is more than one way to prepare your books. This one negates the use of tape.

Geez.

After paying for my submission it says:

Shipping Your Books to CGC

We recommend that you place each comic carefully in a Mylar or poly bag WITH a backing board. Please do not use the Mylars that have a flap at the top.

The comic should be in the bag or Mylar sleeve with the top of the book closest to the opening. One piece of tape is sufficient for a poly bag (affixed so the tape is on the BACK of the comic) Do not use tape to seal a Mylar sleeve!

I only have Mylar sleeves (Mylites 2), should I just not tape the flap and fold it? Or should I cut the flap off?

CGC is mixing products and not being very clear in the process

Gerber makes 4 mil "Sleeves" called Archives with a 7/8" tab cut at the top. They don't fold over and if you were to put tape across the top, the comic can easily slide up and contact the tape during shipment. Thus the "Do not use tape to seal a Mylar sleeve!"

Ultimately they would like to get to your books as quickly/safely as possible.

If it takes them 15 minutes to make it through your packaging, they are paying someone for that time.

Just pack you books so they don't get damaged, but can be easily accessed.

I've never had a problem removing tape from a Mylar bag. Just put it face down flat on a hard surface to avoid bending the book. Use a bit of nail along the tape's edge and pull. I've yet to damage a book this way. (shrug)

I use Gerber full-backs; not cheap flimsy boards. Where do you get this? Also, the polybag is not open when it goes to CGC. It's in a resealable bag that I will close tightly. In the photo, I was only demonstrating the position of the Mylite2 in the polybag.

And why are you knocking me? I have a very good track record when submitting books. If it's a 9.8 when I submit, it will come back 9.8, period. I prefer to save my books and drop them off to CGC at a comic con anyway.

My contribution to this thread is to show that tape is not a necessary ingredient. There is more than one way to prepare your books. This one negates the use of tape.

Geez.

Sorry for my tone, I get pretty OCD when it comes to bagging/boarding my CGC subs. :insane:

I didn't mean to knock you. :foryou:

And yeah, I actually sub all of my books to CGC at cons. How I laid out the above method is how I would ship books to CGC*, if I didn't prefer to hold off and sub books in person, at cons.

*I ommited my last step of placing the bagged/boarded comic inside of a silver/gold Mylite2 + Silver/Gold Mylite2 Full Back combo.

If you do a search under my user name + the word "sheathed" or "sheath".....ugh, you'll probably get at least a dozen posts about me raving on about my ideal shipping of raws...and an equal amount of boardies giving me static, over the subject.

:shy::flamed:

Geez.

Sorry for my tone, I get pretty OCD when it comes to bagging/boarding my CGC subs. :insane:

I didn't mean to knock you. :foryou:

And yeah, I actually sub all of my books to CGC at cons. How I laid out the above method is how I would ship books to CGC*, if I didn't prefer to hold off and sub books in person, at cons.

*I ommited my last step of placing the bagged/boarded comic inside of a silver/gold Mylite2 + Silver/Gold Mylite2 Full Back combo.

If you do a search under my user name + the word "sheathed" or "sheath".....ugh, you'll probably get at least a dozen posts about me raving on about my ideal shipping of raws...and an equal amount of boardies giving me static, over the subject.

:shy::flamed:

Don't worry CAK, it's all good. :)

Nothing wrong with being challenged now and then. lol

I think we're on the same page anyway.

(thumbs u