• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is there no Platinum Age Forum?
5 5

239 posts in this topic

Here are two versions of a 1928 Herbert Hoover for president campaign comic book.

Interesting. I wonder which version was published first? Maybe the one with the White House shown came first and then they thought it might be a tad presumptuous. hm

Here are two versions of a 1928 Herbert Hoover for president campaign comic book.

Interesting. I wonder which version was published first? Maybe the one with the White House shown came first and then they thought it might be a tad presumptuous. hm

Overstreet says:

Scarcer First Print, Text cover, 8 3/4 x 7, 20 pgs,

Scarce Second Printing, Illustrated cover, 9 x 6 3/4, 24 pgs

And then it says "Unknown which version published first"

hm

Guys, all those issues of Cartoons Magazine are to die for. One of those series that I usually get beat out on when I see them on ebay. Some day!

Still deals to be had...

D'OH. doh!

All right... there's another search bookmarked. (of course, I'm collecting every American periodical in the history of history these days, it seems. I should leave that to the far wealthier Isiah Thomas's legacy, though this might be a little late for them anyway)

Overstreet says:

Scarcer First Print, Text cover, 8 3/4 x 7, 20 pgs,

Scarce Second Printing, Illustrated cover, 9 x 6 3/4, 24 pgs

And then it says "Unknown which version published first"

hm

Unknown whether the first printing came before or after the second printing? That is odd. Sounds like someone told them that it wasn't clear which version was the first printing and which the second, and they didn't quite rewrite the entry correctly.

Robot Man, what do you know about these..they are seemingly endless. Is there a guide or something?

What a beautiful selection. These are circa 1910. They came in cigarette packages. Look on the back. They probably have back papers for Hassan or Tokio cigarettes. They featured popular comic characters and artists of the era. Characters were Mutt and Jeff, Happy Hooligan, Krazy Kat and Ignatz Mouse among others. Yes, there are near endless. They came in color and black & white versions of the same pins. Also came in tin litho in larger sizes. Not real valuble and are fairly common. (Makes them fun to collect) Usually found in groups. You have one of the Mutt & Jeff ones with a baseball theme. Look close, there is. NY Yankee logo on his sleeve. These are pretty popular. There is also a Jeff as a catcher with a Cubs logo on his sleeve. I think they are in the Hakes premium guide. I see you have one of the Krazy Kat ones I still need...

Robot Man, what do you know about these..they are seemingly endless. Is there a guide or something?

What a beautiful selection. These are circa 1910. They came in cigarette packages. Look on the back. They probably have back papers for Hassan or Tokio cigarettes. They featured popular comic characters and artists of the era. Characters were Mutt and Jeff, Happy Hooligan, Krazy Kat and Ignatz Mouse among others. Yes, there are near endless. They came in color and black & white versions of the same pins. Also came in tin litho in larger sizes. Not real valuable and are fairly common. (Makes them fun to collect) Usually found in groups. You have one of the Mutt & Jeff ones with a baseball theme. Look close, there is. NY Yankee logo on his sleeve. These are pretty popular. There is also a Jeff as a catcher with a Cubs logo on his sleeve. I think they are in the Hakes premium guide. I see you have one of the Krazy Kat ones I still need...

Home Run response, Robot Man. :applause::headbang::applause: Thanks for all the info! I'll keep an eye out for the one with Jeff as catcher... Finding them cheap and in groups does make these fun.

1853, in the series that defined his look more than anything previous --

Uncle Sam has a sidekick "Junior", and a dog, "the dorg". History has cheated us of this. lol

Junior there is literally thumbing his nose at the fallen man.

yankee-notions-2_zps87h3yq9c.jpg

BOOT, I love your September issue of Cartoons Magazine!

This is # 28 of the 1930 Funnies Dell which is extremely hard to find any of them. This is the only one I have ever seen and I wasn't going to let anyone else have it! lol

Funnies1930001_zpsa31cb208.jpg

BOOT, I love your September issue of Cartoons Magazine!

This is # 28 of the 1930 Funnies Dell which is extremely hard to find any of them. This is the only one I have ever seen and I wasn't going to let anyone else have it! lol

Amazing!!