• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is there no Platinum Age Forum?
5 5

239 posts in this topic

This is # 28 of the 1930 Funnies Dell which is extremely hard to find any of them. This is the only one I have ever seen and I wasn't going to let anyone else have it! lol

Funnies1930001_zpsa31cb208.jpg

I've only ever seen three of these, including yours, none for sale. These are truly rare! :applause::headbang::applause:

:whistle:

gotta get this thread rollin'!

puck-1891-opper-collecting-mania_zpspuuowtaz.jpg

We tend to think of the transformation of "collecting" from niche pastime to obsessive money-centric mania which occasionally makes the news as a recent development, but no -- here's Frederick Opper in 1891 to tell us otherwise.

If you're a collector or know collectors, you can see that Opper has nailed many of the basic types of mania that can take hold:

- Obsessive autograph seeking

- Strange alliances built around hoping to get a chance at buying a particular collectible.

- Amassing a great collection making you famous and esteemed among your peers

- Collecting unusual stuff that you'd think that no one will ever, ever care about

- The joy of finding something good for under fair market value.

And of course, the mask collection is a great visual that has been used in numerous different ways over the decades. I keep meaning to make a large print of this for myself, as I... am familiar with one or two of these concepts.

:whistle:

gotta get this thread rollin'!

puck-1891-opper-collecting-mania_zpspuuowtaz.jpg

We tend to think of the transformation of "collecting" from niche pastime to obsessive money-centric mania which occasionally makes the news as a recent development, but no -- here's Frederick Opper in 1891 to tell us otherwise.

If you're a collector or know collectors, you can see that Opper has nailed many of the basic types of mania that can take hold:

- Obsessive autograph seeking

- Strange alliances built around hoping to get a chance at buying a particular collectible.

- Amassing a great collection making you famous and esteemed among your peers

- Collecting unusual stuff that you'd think that no one will ever, ever care about

- The joy of finding something good for under fair market value.

And of course, the mask collection is a great visual that has been used in numerous different ways over the decades. I keep meaning to make a large print of this for myself, as I... am familiar with one or two of these concepts.

That's a great page. Except for the clothing, it doesn't seem that much has changed for collector's in 125 years.

This makes me want to re-read a book called A Gentle Madness, about obsessive book collectors throughout history.

[

That's a great page. Except for the clothing, it doesn't seem that much has changed for collector's in 125 years.

This makes me want to re-read a book called A Gentle Madness, about obsessive book collectors throughout history.

I collect a lot of pre-WWI stuff these days... dime novels, nickel weeklies, etc. There exists a dime novel price guide from 1929 which uses good-fine-mint terminology and associated price spreads, discusses the impact of restoration on price, discusses the impact of character, genre, and creator on future potential, discusses speculation, and on and on. It is dead on how we think of this stuff to this day.

The more you look, the more you realize that what we do spins out of deeply embedded human nature stuff, and has been going on for ages.

What a great Opper piece and funny observations on collecting.

It may not be strictly a human obsession. Check out bowerbirds and how they collect color-coordinated objects to decorate their nests, supposedly to attract potential mates...

165926.jpg.dd6941731f1970064294fe01dabc9a31.jpg

What a great Opper piece and funny observations on collecting.

It may not be strictly a human obsession. Check out bowerbirds and how they collect color-coordinated objects to decorate their nests, supposedly to attract potential mates...

Almost exactly how I got my wife!