• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OS 35 prices for low grade Spideys...what gives?

30 posts in this topic

Just got the new OS guide and have been very much enjoying it so far, but the values for low-grade Ditko ASMs leave me stunned. Okay, I know these are hot issues that will eventually find buyers regardless of grade...and I know that the bargain prices on ebay don't reflect ALL sales of silver ASMs. Fair enough. But even with that said, the huge jumps in lower grades just seem out of touch with reality. Is it me?

ASM #1-5 jumped up a bit in all grades. No argument there.

#11 & #12 jumped a bit...2nd & 3rd appearances of Doc Ock, and were perhaps undervalued before. Again, OK by me (VG at $134 still seems a tad high though).

#13 (1st Mysterio). The VG price is now $184. Unreal. Are there really recorded sales of $184 for a VG #13? Same with #15 (1st Kraven) now at $152 for VG, and #17 (2nd Goblin) now at $144 for VG. I picked up a 4.5 #17 for $45 last year without a great deal of effort. #18 seems to have jumped quite a lot as well for a minor key.

#28 is now $63 in Good, $126 in VG. Once again, are there recorded sales that bear this out?? Low-grade #28s usually look especially awful b/c of the black cover, and don't come anywhere close to these prices on ebay. I snagged a solid, unrestored 4.5/5.0 for $30 on ebay only a few months ago, and in general I rarely see low-grade #28s break the $40 mark.

But maybe most surprising are the new prices for #32-#38...$23 for Good, $46 for VG. I don't have last year's guide in front of me but I think that's a bigger jump than the early ASMs took, percentage-wise at least? Wha? Maybe #33 could reach these prices on a good day (probably time to break this out as a classic cover in OS) but I can't see #34-#38 coming anywhere close to these prices. #35, #37 & #38 in particular are extremely common below Fine, are less desirable covers (tho I love 'em), and would have a tough time breaking the $20-25 mark in VG/VG+, at least from the umpteen sales of them I've seen in the past year.

Am I crazy guys? Any thoughts?

#13 (1st Mysterio). The VG price is now $184. Unreal. Are there really recorded sales of $184 for a VG #13? Same with #15 (1st Kraven) now at $152 for VG, and #17 (2nd Goblin) now at $144 for VG. I picked up a 4.5 #17 for $45 last year without a great deal of effort. #18 seems to have jumped quite a lot as well for a minor key.

Before the new guide came out, I bought a VG copy of ASM#13 as a filler at WonderCon. I talked the seller (A-1 Comics) down from $160 to $120.

Of course, I am a skilled and shrewd negotiator. acclaim.gif

Of course, I am a skilled and shrewd negotiator.

Yeah, 5.55 times guide for a TOS #52 CGC 9.4. Good negotiating!!!!! tongue.gif

He originally was talking about 10 times guide. sumo.gif

Find one for less. confused-smiley-013.gif

Or maybe I can boil this down for you a little further:

"Hello, Bitter? Table for one?" poke2.gif

He originally was talking about 10 times guide.

Find one for less.

Or maybe I can boil this down for you a little further:

"Hello, Bitter? Table for one?"

Doug always start at ten times guide. By the time dinner is over, I get the books for 2-3 times guide, and he pays the check. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, right!!!!!! screwy.gif

Hey, I'm glad you got the book. I know I'll never have a 9.4 collection of TOS's, so I'll settle for the nice looking copy that I have. cloud9.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Steve, why do you still buy comics? If I lived as close to Doug as you do, I'd offer him $50 a day just to come look at his books and pretend they were mine. grin.gif

That's what I do with my Bay Area forum buddies, except I don't pay them. poke2.gif

But maybe most surprising are the new prices for #32-#38...$23 for Good, $46 for VG.

32-38 were $38 in VG in OS 34.

$8/$38 = 21% increase in price.

frustrated.gif

Before the new guide came out, I bought a VG copy of ASM#13 as a filler at WonderCon. I talked the seller (A-1 Comics) down from $160 to $120.

Of course, I am a skilled and shrewd negotiator. acclaim.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Steve, why do you still buy comics? If I lived as close to Doug as you do, I'd offer him $50 a day just to come look at his books and pretend they were mine.

I prefer to pretend that his house is mine!!!!!!

Actually, his collection is NOT at his HOUSE. So, I have not seen all of his books at all.

He has brought around $500K of books to a restaurant once. hail.gif. Just FF #1 CGC 9.6, TOS #39 CGC 9.6, Hulk #1 CGC 9.2 and some other Silver-Age junk in CGC 9.8. tongue.gif

Of course, I brought him down to size by saying "hommy, you know you ain't shooting from there, you ain't got know J".

Doug's big into hoops.

But maybe most surprising are the new prices for #32-#38...$23 for Good, $46 for VG.

32-38 were $38 in VG in OS 34.

$8/$38 = 21% increase in price.

frustrated.gif

Exactly, Aces! So in terms of percentages, #38 in VG went up more than #3 in VG. Does that make any sense at all??

There are three stores in Toronto that are well stocked with Silver Age comics. One of the stores always goes to half price at conventions, on books that are not keys. On the keys they usually drop about 20%. I sometimes buy from them. More often I can get better deals on Ebay. And if the book is high in cost the postage doesn't seem like much. I also find good prices at the Detroit, Chicago and even sometimes at Toronto comic shows. Overstreet doesn't always seem as relevant to me as it does to the comic stores. Good deals can be found.

Why would ASM #1 move up at all? It's a comic that's definitely close to fully valued. Does a CGC 9.2 copy command much of a multiple over the OS 9.2 price?

Of course, I brought him down to size by saying "hommy, you know you ain't shooting from there, you ain't got know J".

Steve, next time you feel the urge to mimic modern American urban patois, RESIST! poke2.gif

Why would ASM #1 move up at all? It's a comic that's definitely close to fully valued. Does a CGC 9.2 copy command much of a multiple over the OS 9.2 price?

Based on ebay sales I'd guess that ASM #1 has moved up a bit... Good to VG copies are definitely moving at higher-than-Guide prices, especially if slabbed. In fact, one of the forum members (sorry, don't remember who) sold a low-grade copy for way over guide just recently. I can't speak for 9.2 copies, but I would guess they are getting more expensive as well. (Anyone?) Personally, I'd be pretty happy to consider copies in any grade at guide prices. There's definitely some renewed interest in the last year or so.

In general Gude is probably fairly accurate on many ASM, ASSUMING they are CGC'd.

That's the interesting part because no one knows if GUIDE is suppose to represent CGC'd or RAW. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They are clearly off on other titles in CGC 9.0 and higher range, especially the Pre-1965 issues of Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense, Journey into Mystery, etc.

I tend to agree with what Donut has been saying forever, the OS is way over valued for low to midgrade and under valued for HG. Thats an across the board statement that everyone has come to accept, why they dont adjust it, I dont know. I guess the 9.2 maximum was a sweeping attempt to address the HG issue - which I applaud, now if they just reduced every non-key book in Fine or worse from the SA and BA by say 30% we'd be getting somewhere.

those G and VG prices for early ASMs are bargains! they are sure to go up 300-500% in the next 3-5 years.

buy as many as you can at those prices. especially if I'm selling!

As for ASM 28 -- maybe a legit VG without a bunch of horrid stress lines marring the spine may get near guide. Also, SO many of that issue have lousy amateur color touch on the spine it's ridiculous.