• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1

147 posts in this topic

The only time that MC 1 was ever viewed as the top book by Overstreet was the early 80s and, even then, only very briefly. And I'm not sure that it was ever really true. Most of the record prices paid for comics over the years have been for DC comics -- mostly for Action 1.

^This.

And ultimately this is why it is a huge disservice for Overstreet not to report accurate market conditions.

We already have a thread about how Overstreet doesn't have the top books correct in the new guide (AA#16 is still at #4 or something for example) and in 20 years people will look back and say it must have been worth more than Bat 1 or Cap 1 at this point in time even though it's not true.

Marvel #1 took over the top spot in the guide thanks to the Church copy selling for crazy money at time when there weren't really any other high grade unrestored copies known (and no nice Action #1s selling at the same time), but Snyder has told me several times that if Chuck had made the Action #1 available instead he would have jumped on it, and paid a higher price for it than he did the Marvel #1.

Where there any pictures taken of the Church MM 1 or the Action 1?

I would keep a Captain America 1 over a Marvel 1, but only because I'm such a Kirby freak. I think Marvel 1 is the more important, and cooler, book.

Value aside, I would rather have a Marvel 1 than either Tec 27 or Act 1.

I would keep a Captain America 1 over a Marvel 1, but only because I'm such a Kirby freak. I think Marvel 1 is the more important, and cooler, book.

hm

hm

(shrug) (shrug) (shrug)

hm

(shrug) (shrug) (shrug)

No way would I chose Marvel 1 over Act 1 or Tec 27!!

Based on some comments in this thread I'm going to make an unpopular remark that the reason I really like Marvel Comics #1 is because of its "pulp" flavored cover by Paul. It and the 1928 Amazing Stories cover that introduced Buck Rogers slay it with regards to covers.

The last time I was involved with a copy of Marvel Comics #1 was directing Cory from the Masterworks program to acquire a copy for Marvel for the Marvel Mystery Omnibus.

I was in a position at the time to get a copy for myself (again) during the hunt and instead put the money into something more serious than comics.

I'm better off but man I wish ever so slightly I had one back in my collection.

At least I got Marvel an October date something I stupidly let the opportunity slip by me when I had the chance many moons ago.

Based on some comments in this thread I'm going to make an unpopular remark that the reason I really like Marvel Comics #1 is because of its "pulp" flavored cover by Paul. It and the 1928 Amazing Stories cover that introduced Buck Rogers slay it with regards to covers.

The last time I was involved with a copy of Marvel Comics #1 was directing Cory from the Masterworks program to acquire a copy for Marvel for the Marvel Mystery Omnibus.

I was in a position at the time to get a copy for myself (again) during the hunt and instead put the money into something more serious than comics.

I'm better off but man I wish ever so slightly I had one back in my collection.

At least I got Marvel an October date something I stupidly let the opportunity slip by me when I had the chance many moons ago.

It's a great book to own for sure just not as great as Action 1 or Tec 27 (I guess for some it is but not for most).

Yes. The Mile High MC 1 has had pictures widely distributed, including in Gerber, because Verzyl doesn't mind sharing; however, the only person to own a picture of the Action 1 other than the current owner (who apparently has no desire to ever let anyone see a picture of the book) is Chuck R. -- and he's never published that picture. I wish he would.

We do know from people who have seen the book that the Mile High Action 1 has Church's name written neatly on the top of the cover.

Yes. The Mile High MC 1 has had pictures widely distributed, including in Gerber, because Verzyl doesn't mind sharing; however, the only person to own a picture of the Action 1 other than the current owner (who apparently has no desire to ever let anyone see a picture of the book) is Chuck R. -- and he's never published that picture. I wish he would.

We do know from people who have seen the book that the Mile High Action 1 has Church's name written neatly on the top of the cover.

Would love to see the MC#1 pictures as the Gerber pics are not the best quality.It looks like they printed an old photocopy.

Fischler has Action #1 as a 9.2 and Borock had it as a 9.4 so it's not to hard to imagine what it looks like based on the other Mile High books.

So you could bet CBCS would give it a 9.4 grade. I kind of trust Fischler's opinion slightly more in this case.