• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1

147 posts in this topic

...$2,200 for Detective 27 sold by Comics & Comix to Burl Rowe (per Robert Beerhbohm) ...

I'm not sure if I even owned a comic in 1974 and, if I did, I was probably busy trying to spell my name on the cover to make sure no one took it.

Can anyone who was seriously collecting comics waaaaay back then put into perspective what it meant to spend $2,200 on a single comic? Was that a monthly paycheck? A car? A house?

I was around in 1974 buying comics, including from Comics&Comix in Berkeley. I think on occasion I may have stretched a bit and paid them, oh, maybe $20 for a book I really wanted. :D

I was buying from Comics & Comix in 1977 from John B the manager at the time and i was getting all the Fantasy 15s for around 100 bucks from him and that was in trade. :headbang:

don't many of you view buying a high grade (or any copy) of Marvel 1 today like catching a falling knife? It tumbles lower and lower in Overstreet each year. Of course, Overstreet isn't the be- all and end-all for values anymore, but it represents at worst, the other top books GAINING in value at MCs expense.

As we have seen, interests change over time. Seems to me that the Force just aint that strong with MC#1 anymore.

I see an upswing for MC1 from the many years of being stagnant.

So do I.

I suspect if a nice mid grade unrestored copy came to an auction this year, people would be surprised at the final hammer.

I wouldn't as its been depressed for sometime now. I bet that the Pay copy could easily sell for over $500k today.

As we have seen, interests change over time. Seems to me that the Force just aint that strong with MC#1 anymore.

I thought the trick was to buy them when they are out of favor and sell them when they are hot. hm

Like all of the early Wonder Woman books which were relatively stone cold dead and a tough sell just a few short years ago, but will probably be going for much bigger dollars and a easy sell over the next few years. (thumbs u

don't many of you view buying a high grade (or any copy) of Marvel 1 today like catching a falling knife? It tumbles lower and lower in Overstreet each year. Of course, Overstreet isn't the be- all and end-all for values anymore, but it represents at worst, the other top books GAINING in value at MCs expense.

Many old-schoolers just can't let go of what MC 1 used to be.

Of course it will always have significance and be coveted as "the first Marvel Comic", but absent any real or recognizable first appearances, even a movie won't save it. Just as Tec 1 is a fading blur in Tec 27's shadow, so too shall MC 1 be in Cap 1's, regardless of how awesome of a copy of MC 1 that will eventually come up for auction. At some point (and it's already happening now), people will just say "eh, I'd rather just wait for a Cap 1".

-J.

Well what it does have going for it in the future is that it's the first issue of a very long running series (Marvel Mystery/Marvel Tales) that are both popular with GA and PCH collectors.

Also being the first Marvel comic may increase its importance over time if Marvel Studios and its characters continue their importance in popular culture. I'm not talking about current comic collectors views but we are now seeing new generations being exposed to and aware of the Marvel name and characters. We are still only a little over a decade into this whole superhero craze on the big screen and media products with Marvel far and away being the gold standard. Growing up in my wildest dreams I never expected to see this kind of mainstream explosion of Marvel name and products. It's just amazing.

So yeah, I wouldn't write off Marvel Comics #1 just yet as something that "older" collectors were into. As we see in collecting the tide can change rather quickly.

One problem is that Fox owns the rights to the Human Torch, and Unversal has Sub-Mariner. If Marvel could make a deal with those studios, maybe we'd see a movie that includes them and that would help Marvel 1. I personally would love to see an Invaders movie.

One problem is that Fox owns the rights to the Human Torch, and Unversal has Sub-Mariner. If Marvel could make a deal with those studios, maybe we'd see a movie that includes them and that would help Marvel 1. I personally would love to see an Invaders movie.

Nope. Universal actually didn't have the rights to make it for some time but it was stuck in limbo between the two studios. That's come to an end.

"The movie rights for Namor The Sub-Mariner have been up in the air for years now, with confusion over whether he currently resides at Universal, Marvel Studios, or elsewhere. This confusion was seemingly put to an end this week as Joe Quesada asserted that Namor is back home at Marvel Studios —"

That's from June 2016.

Well actually Namor's rights still aren't cleanly with Marvel. It's still very much uncertain. Quesada's statement was obviously off the cuff and hasn't been verified by anybody else since he said it.

Not sure how that would help MC 1 anyway since that isn't Namor's first appearance. .....

-J.

Well actually Namor's rights still aren't cleanly with Marvel. It's still very much uncertain. Quesada's statement was obviously off the cuff and hasn't been verified by anybody else since he said it.

Not sure how that would help MC 1 anyway since that isn't Namor's first appearance. .....

-J.

But really it is the Sub-Mariner's first appearance in Timely's first real foray into the super-hero market. It is the God father of what we know as. Marvel Comics today. The fact that it technically isn't shouldn't hurt the importance of the book. A movie with a WWII back drop or maybe centered around a Torch/Subby battle would be epic.

-J.

Maybe but there are no facts yet to say it's uncertain unless you just don't believe him.

Kevin Feige said before that comment that Sub-Mariner was already "partly" at Marvel and there was no way Universal could make a film about him. It was a rights issue that needed resolving that resulted in the limbo status.

In not going to say it's 100% true but I'll at least give him the benefit of a doubt before saying otherwise.