• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1

147 posts in this topic

Well actually Namor's rights still aren't cleanly with Marvel. It's still very much uncertain. Quesada's statement was obviously off the cuff and hasn't been verified by anybody else since he said it.

Not sure how that would help MC 1 anyway since that isn't Namor's first appearance. .....

-J.

Maybe but there are no facts yet to say it's uncertain unless you just don't believe him.

Kevin Feige said before that comment that Sub-Mariner was already "partly" at Marvel and there was no way Universal could make a film about him. It was a rights issue that needed resolving that resulted in the limbo status.

In not going to say it's 100% true but I'll at least give him the benefit of a doubt before saying otherwise.

Here's an article that quotes what Quesada actually said.

As you can see, his choice of words is cagey at best, deliberately vague at worst, and does not add to or actually change anything that was already known.

You'll also note that he has been wrong about rights situations before:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3950279

The consensus is that people were reading way too much into his unsupported statements than was there.

-J.

The Hulks rights had to do with making a solo movie with him. It can be done but not without paying Universal a piece so Disney won't do it.

Sub-Mariner was believed to be in that same boat. So the "partly" at Marvel may be he can be in a film but not one of his own without paying Universal.

Disney has been trying to "buy out" of Universal for the Hulk too.

Regardless only Marvel could make a Sub-Mariner film in the future and not anyone else. Kevin Feige was clear on that.

Thanks for the link although none of the other information was new and some of it guessing of their part.

The Hulks rights had to do with making a solo movie with him. It can be done but not without paying Universal a piece so Disney won't do it.

Sub-Mariner was believed to be in that same boat. So the "partly" at Marvel may be he can be in a film but not one of his own without paying Universal.

Regardless only Marvel could make a Sub-Mariner film in the future and not anyone else. Kevin Feige was clear on that.

Thanks for the link although none of the other information was new and some of it guessing of their part.

Quesada lost me in that interview when he was asked by Kevin Smith: "So do you have the rights to Namor?"

And Quesada says "Yeah, we can publish Namor comic books."

Then Smith says : "No man, I mean the movie rights."

And instead of answering the question directly he says: "The rights aren't with Sony or Fox".

Of course I'm paraphrasing but you get the gist. And the actual audio of the interview is readily available online. Listening to the whole thing will show you there's nothing there.

Which as the article mentions, we already knew. We already knew the rights aren't with Sony or Fox. And we also already knew that Marvel can publish Namor comic books if it wanted (does it now, even?).

And to this day Feige has yet to say anything differently from what he said two years ago, in spite of that silly Quesada interview.

-J.

Thanks for the info!

I just hope prices are stagnant when I try and buy a copy. Can't think of another book I would want more.

Sounds like you should try and jump on this book now - in this market you never know when a book is going to explode and get out of reach, especially a big key.

But really it is the Sub-Mariner's first appearance in Timely's first real foray into the super-hero market. It is the God father of what we know as. Marvel Comics today. The fact that it technically isn't shouldn't hurt the importance of the book. A movie with a WWII back drop or maybe centered around a Torch/Subby battle would be epic.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but Marvel Comics #1 is not the Sub-Mariner's first appearance.

Not to answer for anyone but he may have meant it in the sense Marvel comics #1 has his first published (distributed) appearance.

The Motion Picture Funnies weekly book seems to only exist as the few sample copies that were printed but never saw distribution as was intended.

Most people didn't even know it existed until the mid 1970's.

This discovery along with the mystery of what really happened to All Winners #20 were up there with the Bermuda Triangle in the 1970's for comic fans.

But really it is the Sub-Mariner's first appearance in Timely's first real foray into the super-hero market. It is the God father of what we know as. Marvel Comics today. The fact that it technically isn't shouldn't hurt the importance of the book. A movie with a WWII back drop or maybe centered around a Torch/Subby battle would be epic.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but Marvel Comics #1 is not the Sub-Mariner's first appearance.

Peter meant to say it was Subby's 1st Newsstand appearance. MPFW 1 was the first published Subby app ,but that was passed out at select east coast movie theatre's as a promo by Funnies, Inc. Only 8 copies exist which were found in Jacquet's estate in the mid 1970s.

Peter meant to say it was Subby's 1st Newsstand appearance. MPFW 1 was the first published Subby app ,but that was passed out at select east coast movie theatre's as a promo by Funnies, Inc. Only 8 copies exist which were found in Jacquet's estate in the mid 1970s.

Correct.

Correct.

I'm not sure it was conclusively determined that MPFW was distributed at movie theatres. There might be ten known copies.

There's an old thread about MPFW.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7328189&fpart=1

Correct.

I'm not sure it was conclusively determined that MPFW was distributed at movie theatres. There might be ten known copies.

There's an old thread about MPFW.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7328189&fpart=1

agreed. Boston theatres was a suggested spot. Circa April 1939. Only Jacquet and his staff would have known.

I've always considered Marvel #1 to be Subby's 1st appearance. The MPFW just wasn't out there enough (at all?) to count.

Not that I wouldn't love to own MPFW...

I'm inclined to agree. I would think after all this time we would probably have gotten some confirmation that MPFW actually was distributed in some theaters.

? I thought that was always the case.

A failed attempt which is why all but 1 (?) copy came out of the estate. None for distribution.

If they had distribution it seems like we'd see copies from different sources which isn't the case.

So if a undistributed comic emerged with Superman in it before Action comics #1 would that now be his first appearance? Something to consider.

? I thought that was always the case.

A failed attempt which is why all but 1 (?) copy came out of the estate. None for distribution.

If they had distribution it seems like we'd see copies from different sources which isn't the case.

So if a undistributed comic emerged with Superman in it before Action comics #1 would that now be his first appearance? Something to consider.

Wasn't there a theater owner who kind of sort of maybe vaguely remembered he might have received some for distribution? But, yeah, if there had been a significant number distributed, you would think at least one would have turned up by now.

Bill Everett might have been able to provide more information but sadly died just before the comics and covers were discovered. I've always considered the books the same as ashcans.

Printed but not published for distribution.