• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maybe You Went Here? Vintage Store Bag!

9 posts in this topic

I've never been to NY so safe to say I've never been to either of those shops.

But that is really cool! I wish I had saved a store bag from the first comic shop I frequented here in town, Sierra Comics. I have a lot of fond memories shopping there.

I have saved a store bag from Captain Nemo's, a shop I like to visit when I'm vacationing on the central coast.

But that is really cool! I wish I had saved a store bag from the first comic shop I frequented here in town, Sierra Comics. I have a lot of fond memories shopping there.

I have saved a store bag from Captain Nemo's, a shop I like to visit when I'm vacation long on the central coast.

Wow! What a shock to see Sierra Comics mentioned! I grew up in Fresno, and went there all the time as a kid. Captain Nemo's is San Luis Obispo, right? That's where I went to college...

Small world!

Never saw that bag either but used to go to Forbidden Planet in the early 80's too when they had the bigger store with the back issues. Held on to a couple of their old white bags with the "R. Crumb" (old wizard character?) artwork that used to adorn the sign outside. Bought my first issue of Cerebus the Aardvark there. Another lcs (C&P Comics) had bags with a John Byrne X-Men team drawing... Ahhh, the good ole' days.

That's a generic bag that was available thru Sea Gate, and maybe some other distributors.

I had some for my first shop, but instead of paying to have the name printed, I got blank ones and rubber stamped them.

Marvel also provided artwork and would give co-op credit for bags that exclusively used Marvel characters. They paid for my stores sign, telephone book ad and most of the advertising I did. They were leaps and bounds ahead of D.C. in this regard.

I shopped at the Comic Art Gallery the summer I interned in the city.It was right by a great pizza place on Second Avenue. Other than the fact you walked up a few steps to get in, I don't remember much.

Bought my first copy of JLA 21 from Village Comics, back when it was a hot and rare book.

I have saved a store bag from Captain Nemo's, a shop I like to visit when I'm vacation long on the central coast.

Wow! What a shock to see Sierra Comics mentioned! I grew up in Fresno, and went there all the time as a kid. Captain Nemo's is San Luis Obispo, right? That's where I went to college...

Small world!

Yup, Captain Nemo's in SLO! Though I think the store's primary name is Culture and Thrills but they still use the Captain Nemo's name. While they have a good selection of new comics and trades with prime location on the first floor, it seems they've shifted away from vintage comics, relegating them to the 3rd story attic. Most of the first floor is now devoted to used video games, CDs and DVDs.

Makes sense I guess, most collage kids looking to sell stuff for party money probably don't have collections of comics anymore. Still, I enjoy browsing through there when I get a chance.

I really miss Sierra Comics. The one decent store that survived the 90's was Heroes. They're alright, but it's just not the same.

I don't remember if Sierra actually used bags with something printed on them or just used plain brown bags. I remember they had a store news letter for awhile. Wish I had kept those.