• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel and DC comic figurines and statues, hot or not?

6 posts in this topic

Just doing an estimate for an estate liquidation. The comic portion is fairly simple but the deceased also has about 150 various comic related figurines and busts, and they are a little out of my wheelhouse. They all appear to new and unopened in box. All are numbered 300-4000 limited editions.

I have done the usual checking of sold items on Ebay so the value can be established, now I am curious if these are easy movers or shelf sitters. Not fishing for a sales thread, these will likely not end up in my possession, just trying to help out a friend of the family.

The vast majority of figurines need to be substantially discounted to move. The people who wanted them bought them when they came out. Then you have the shipping factor. Obviously there are exceptions to the rules.

I own about two dozen statues and with one exception, I would lose money selling them.

Hope that helps..

Just doing an estimate for an estate liquidation. The comic portion is fairly simple but the deceased also has about 150 various comic related figurines and busts, and they are a little out of my wheelhouse. They all appear to new and unopened in box. All are numbered 300-4000 limited editions.

I have done the usual checking of sold items on Ebay so the value can be established, now I am curious if these are easy movers or shelf sitters. Not fishing for a sales thread, these will likely not end up in my possession, just trying to help out a friend of the family.

It's going to be a statue by statue analysis I am afraid.

There are sculptors and companies that have fallen in and out of vogue over the last 25 years.

Some items were hot upon release and now people don't care, and other items under the radar on release that have sustained high values.

There's no easy way to tell, really, without going one at a time.

I will say that the ease of shipping the smaller Bowen busts, along with their low relative initial cost makes them easier to sell and ship from a price point and packaging standpoint. Some of the larger statues or more intricate designs will be a nightmare due to damage concerns, etc.

Also, to really maximize return, each statue will have to be inspected out of the box to assure buyers they aren't buying something already broken. You can skip this step but when you disclose it's unopened it will be more of a gamble for buyers and may reflect that in price sold.

Thanks, great info all around. They are mostly Bowen from what I could see. So tough having to explain to a family what things are actually worth in these situations, makes me want to finish my personal inventory list I started months ago!

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the Bowen mini busts as I prefer a full action figure. I seriously have been tempted to buy a Showcase Maquette Destroyer but those things are huge and weights over 32 pounds. Maybe when I get my office set up I will pull the trigger on one of these.