• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding rust stain on spine

5 posts in this topic

The one staple on a GA comic I recently acquired has light rust on it. The rust has migrated onto the spine, around the staple, leaving a minor rust stain. If I were to remove the staple completely I assume that would stop further rust progression on the spine correct? I'm trying to figure out if the rust stained area of the spine will get worse over time even after the staple is removed? The comic will be stored in a proper humidity controlled environment now that I own it. I'm not familiar with the long term effects of a rust stain on a a comic cover. Thanks

The one staple on a GA comic I recently acquired has light rust on it. The rust has migrated onto the spine, around the staple, leaving a minor rust stain. If I were to remove the staple completely I assume that would stop further rust progression on the spine correct? I'm trying to figure out if the rust stained area of the spine will get worse over time even after the staple is removed? The comic will be stored in a proper humidity controlled environment now that I own it. I'm not familiar with the long term effects of a rust stain on a a comic cover. Thanks

I would say that with the staple out you wouldn't have to worry about the rust stain increasing ... but if it's a valuable book, I would think twice before removing the staple.

My concern with leaving the staple in is the long term impact of the rust. From my understanding rust never sleeps but controlling the environment the comic is stored in should slow the process. I don't want to be living in constant fear of pulling the comic out one day to find the cover completely detatched due to rust destroying the area around the staple. I might be in the minority on the idea of removing the staple. I wonder what the chances are of the rust returning if I were to remove the staple, clean it and the re-insert it?

My concern with leaving the staple in is the long term impact of the rust. From my understanding rust never sleeps but controlling the environment the comic is stored in should slow the process. I don't want to be living in constant fear of pulling the comic out one day to find the cover completely detatched due to rust destroying the area around the staple. I might be in the minority on the idea of removing the staple. I wonder what the chances are of the rust returning if I were to remove the staple, clean it and the re-insert it?

Again, I would say that it depends on how valuable the book is. As it is, the book would receive a blue label. If you clean and reinsert the staple, it will receive a purple label -- assuming the graders are able to detect what happened, which they are likely to do if they see rust on the paper but not on the staple.

If it's not a valuable book, then I would say go ahead and remove the staple or replace it. If it is a valuable book, you might want to consider selling it and buying a copy that doesn't have this problem.