• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giants, Annuals and other Big Fatties!

120 posts in this topic

Anyone know why the MM and CAC annuals are so hard to find? It isn't like most of the standard issues are rare.

Limited distribution, probably only in Canada, though there are claims they were available in the NYC area as well, but folks recall a lot of things that weren't so.

Anyone know why the MM and CAC annuals are so hard to find? It isn't like most of the standard issues are rare.

Limited distribution, probably only in Canada, though there are claims they were available in the NYC area as well, but folks recall a lot of things that weren't so.

And they are not repackaging of unsold copies but new printings, oversized and in black and white.

002.jpg
Nice! That ones from when the title went to another publisher after Fox folded I believe. The cover 'looks' L.B. Cole to me as did some other Fox funny animal books from the period. He is credited with creating Cosmo Cat for Fox so it's possible. Any Cole people can confirm?

002.jpg
Nice! That ones from when the title went to another publisher after Fox folded I believe. The cover 'looks' L.B. Cole to me as did some other Fox funny animal books from the period. He is credited with creating Cosmo Cat for Fox so it's possible. Any Cole people can confirm?

I think it might be by Ellis Chambers, he had sort of a similar style as L.B. Cole. He did a lot of fox comics, including Cosmo Cat. Sometimes, but mostly not, his stuff was signed EC or HC, his middle name was Holly.

Thanks for the info! It is a killer funny animal bandage cover to boot too!

Chambers worked for Cole I think too, maybe at Star? Chambers is sort of revered by certain cartoonists, Milton Knight being one of them. You can see the influence in his work. I remember reading somewhere about Chambers, I think Milton Knight knew him or knew someone that did and said how Chambers was a real character, violent and a heroin addict and he just dissappeared in the early 50s and no one knew what happened to him, but it was suspected he had ties to the mob somehow through his drug addictions and got whacked or something haha

Thanks for the info! It is a killer funny animal bandage cover to boot too!

Chambers worked for Cole I think too, maybe at Star? Chambers is sort of revered by certain cartoonists, Milton Knight being one of them. You can see the influence in his work. I remember reading somewhere about Chambers, I think Milton Knight knew him or knew someone that did and said how Chambers was a real character, violent and a heroin addict and he just dissappeared in the early 50s and no one knew what happened to him, but it was suspected he had ties to the mob somehow through his drug addictions and got whacked or something haha

Wow, was there a 'message'' in this cover of impending danger? hm