• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giants, Annuals and other Big Fatties!

120 posts in this topic

From Dell...

BBV8_zpsce31d2d4.jpg

to Fox...

AoC_48.jpg

Maybe not far in the alphabet, but miles away from each other in content!

What are the interior stories? I have two copies and they are different but they both have the Phantom Lady issue. :headbang:

27847214551_accfa858cc_b.jpg

These are all made up of issues that didn't sell and contents are all over the place. I have 2 or three of some of the Fox annuals and they all have different contents.

OK not exactly Golden Age but the content certainly counts; this Gold Key reprint from 1965 proudly proclaims, "GIANT" perhaps to distract you from the lack of gloss covers. They would have been better off reprinting cover reproductions of the two classic stories inside. I vividly remember owning this comic as a kid bought off a second hand rack (I was always a value shopper) due to the fact that it contained the half page splash of Scrooge's money erupting from a dam. Oddly, I don't remember the Mummy's Ring reprint also in this issue.

164114.jpg.48b86e1b1fcabdcba220994e10da5d93.jpg

164115.jpg.bb37a70823b6b0a8db4f4f63100c3134.jpg

164116.jpg.9b0ba3541ed5718e3ca053abe9f70fb1.jpg

Nice, Robot!

You wanna talk about FAT, though...let's try 232 pages on for size: :D

picstoriesbiblecot8_f.jpg

That's an odd price on that book Ed. What year is that from? 232 pages for 65 cents. The Peter Pan I posted from 1953 gave you 212 pages for 50 cents. Of course you did get the entire Old Testament for those extra 15 cents!

Nice, Robot!

You wanna talk about FAT, though...let's try 232 pages on for size: :D

picstoriesbiblecot8_f.jpg

That's an odd price on that book Ed. What year is that from? 232 pages for 65 cents. The Peter Pan I posted from 1953 gave you 212 pages for 50 cents. Of course you did get the entire Old Testament for those extra 15 cents!

That there's the 8th printing...from 1947. A couple years earlier (i.e., 5th printing and before), the book was indeed 50 cents. Max Gaines was mainly selling this book to schools and churches...I guess it was easier to get them to pony up that extra 15 cents...probably would have been a tough sell to the average Joe :D Here's the back cover.

picstoriesbiblecot8_r.jpg

OK not exactly Golden Age but the content certainly counts; this Gold Key reprint from 1965 proudly proclaims, "GIANT" perhaps to distract you from the lack of gloss covers. They would have been better off reprinting cover reproductions of the two classic stories inside. I vividly remember owning this comic as a kid bought off a second hand rack (I was always a value shopper) due to the fact that it contained the half page splash of Scrooge's money erupting from a dam. Oddly, I don't remember the Mummy's Ring reprint also in this issue.

8827418540_a0289bda4f_c.jpg

I purchased that one off the news stand and still have it. It didn't start my Disney collection but kept it alive.

8214240401_3fc49315f5_c.jpg

and I am a big fan of World's Finest...

Here's my favorite World's Finest. And yes, pretty dopy stories.

comworldsfinest9_zpsdwuf1ith.jpg

I don't think the stories were particularly dopey. Some are mysteries and some are bizarre. WF 7 had a pretty good Simon and Kirby story.

4587801256_cf6a23a00d_b.jpg

I like the Superman splash in WF 6.

29061545431_4a939740f3_b.jpg