• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylar Products and Sealing Them

What type of mylars do you use?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What type of mylars do you use?

11 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of "standardizing" my raw collection within mylars and wanted to poll members of our viewing audience. This only applies if you use mylars for your collection.

I also assume everyone using mylars are using fullbacks.

Now, for those who don't use flaps on mylars....where do you buy them (and the fullbacks from)? I'm happy with egerber pricing but I don't see an open mylar type (well they do but it's open from two sides and I only want them open from the top).

For those that use flaps, what do you use to close them? Tape is a PITA, and I've considered getting those pricing "dot" stickers...any best tips on that appreciated.

For reference, I found this awesome thread from 2009. Very useful for sizing the eGerber stuff.

eGerber Sizing and Products

Which specific product are you referring to that's no top flap? It appears I'm not reading something well. Are the eGerber L Archives open on the top AND the side? Is there an advantage to that vs just loading from the top? I rarely do the "double" approach...would love comments on it...I suspect it's only on the "very best books".

Mylite 2 + 2 half-backs: I used to fold/crease the mylar flap and tuck it between the two half-backs, but that makes thumbing through a box a wee bit more troublesome because the flaps would sometimes "unflap" while thumbing through them.

So then I went to fold/creasing the mylar flap over the back like regular flaps and taping it down, but tape is ultra-sticky on mylar, so I create a little tab at the top and use it to pull down the tape just enough to release the folded flap - 0% chance of tape-pull. But tape is still very sticky on mylar. But this works with using either 2 halfbacks or 1 fullback.

So then I tried blue painter's tape with a little tab on the top and it works the best. BUT....

My only concern about tape is if it imprints on the comic behind it in the box. hm

Actually I think I saw a video of that technique somewhere....need to find it. So you make a "loop" with the tape and there's just enough tape exposed to the flap to allow it to be held in place yet easy to remove and prevent tape pull. What type of tape are you using?

One thing's for sure...how I'm taping these mylars now has to improve.

The Archives are shown in the first post of Michael;s awesome thread.

They are only open at the tabbed top.

"Archives L" are open at the top and an adjacent side, thus the "L"

I have never had anyone buy "L's" for comics

Got it! on eGerber's site the word "flaps" eluded me for some reason. Sigh.

use 3-M post-it flags

ahhhh, I accidentally said post it notes doh!

I'll edit my earlier post to avoid confusion

Some folks use those too.