• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some random thoughts on grading contests

13 posts in this topic

As much as a really like the current grading contest where if you take the bible (aka The Overstreet Grading manual) there seems to be such a lack of consistency.

Wouldn't it be nice is the grading notes could accompany this contest....... I have seen such inconstancy it would be interesting if CGC would add to the book the graders ID# like they used to do with underwear so WE could grade the graders.

Does CGC actually do a spot review of their graders, are the graders spot checked unannounced?

Is there really a FINAL grader or is there a team of graders? Does it really go thru 3 blind grades?

I think for the point of transparency and since the cost of grading is steep, they owe it to the Customer.

These grading contests just show that one man's treasure is one man's trash.

I would almost spend the $$$ just to see the notes on some of these books that go from a 9.0 to a 7.5 and back and forth doh!

How many vote that graders ID number should be part of the notes on the books so in the future so that we as the consumer might be able to judge the graders???

Nuff Said

As much as a really like the current grading contest where if you take the bible (aka The Overstreet Grading manual) there seems to be such a lack of consistency.

Wouldn't it be nice is the grading notes could accompany this contest....... I have seen such inconstancy it would be interesting if CGC would add to the book the graders ID# like they used to do with underwear so WE could grade the graders.

Does CGC actually do a spot review of their graders, are the graders spot checked unannounced?

Is there really a FINAL grader or is there a team of graders? Does it really go thru 3 blind grades?

I think for the point of transparency and since the cost of grading is steep, they owe it to the Customer.

I would almost spend the $$$ just to see the notes on some of these books that go from a 9.0 to a 7.5 and back and forth doh!

How many vote that graders ID number should be part of the notes on the books so in the future so that we as the consumer might be able to judge the graders???

Nuff Said

"Owe"? :facepalm: Really? If you don't like the way they do things and don't agree with their grading, stop using their service.

They don't "owe" you mess outside of the service they provide, which is an independent third party opinion of the grade of your book and a resto check.

I think the more plausible reality is some folks on the boards are not the awesome graders they think they are. Keep in mind also that we don't see what can be going on inside the book, so in this sense graders notes may be beneficial, or not, if you've actually seen some notes or lack thereof. Grading a book in a scanned slab is not trivial IMO.

It's a game, have fun, and there is always next year.

P.S. Who calls Overstreet the bible these days other than Overstreet?

We're trying to grade from a scan. Maybe CGC is consistent but you're having troubles seeing it because you're looking at a front and back cover scan from the inside of a case. It's hard to see NCB creases and scratches. On the inside of the cases we're having troubles seeing staples, staple tears, spine ceases and splits, page tears, inside stains, etc.

I examine my own books before submitting to CGC and I'm a lot closer to the grades then. I get many more bulleye's then. ;)

Just asking for the Grading Notes..... nothing to hide right. As to the Lord yes I use both companies. But I've been here since 2003, as a long time member I do have a right to say what I have on my mind.

Still think it would be nice to have the graders number just like you has with your underwear "This was approved by number "fill in the blank"

meh

Nuff Said

"Owe"? :facepalm: Really? If you don't like the way they do things and don't agree with their grading, stop using their service.

They don't "owe" you mess outside of the service they provide, which is an independent third party opinion of the grade of your book and a resto check.

Not a matter of OWE... it's a mater of transparency most likely the most over used word ever.

They have graded millions of books, we have tight and loose grading. Some of "us" love those loosely graded 9.8's which in reality are 9.4-9.6 because they are found $$$. I would rather have consistency... but of course if someone asks that it's :tonofbricks:

If the grading is so inconsistent, how come the same guys top the list in the grading competition year after year?

That might be that they cracked the code.... but when I look at the large range sometime.. by the way

I was only echoing what another member said.....I just decided that it was important enough to say

:makepoint:

An actual contest requires you to flip through all the page and have the book in hand out of the case. Since that isn't possible, this is the best kind of contest to everyone that you can provide. You can only grade what you see.

and that is why the notes would be nice...I really love the contest, and it helps us get our grading skills better, but look at the Overstreet Grading book.... it is an awesome fully annotated book pointing out all the defects, and guess what you don't have to paw through the book. In the contest I'm sure that all interior defects (stains tear etc are noted) the cover and back we need to be responsible for,

By the way I know we will never have the notes for any contest it's nice enough that we are carrying on a tradition Nuff Said