• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Horror Mag Publisher

Horror Mag Publishers  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Horror Mag Publishers

43 posts in this topic

8 votes so far. Wow, the mag section really doesn't get much traffic! yeahok.gif

What, no votes for Seawald? insane.gif

WHERE IS SEAWALD!!!! yay.gif

poke2.gifKeith

I figured I would let Blob vote for Seawald by using "other." poke2.gif

wink.gif

Growing up, my Mag horror diet consisted of 80% Warren, 20% Skywald but I had to give the vote to Skywald for their sheer unusual creepy take on the genre!

After reading all the praise for Skywalds in this Forum, I went to the LCS recently to buy some copies to check them out (of course, I had seen the garish covers before, but had never actually read any issues). I was about to buy a few copies when the LCS owner told me that I might want to open up the bagged copies and flip through the material before buying any, as they were, in his words, "some of the worst comics ever published."

You know, I think he was right. After flipping through a few issues, I realized that there was no way I would have the patience to sit through and read this dreck, especially considering how many unread Warren mags I have (which actually have good stories by some of the brightest talents to ever work in comics).

Needless to say, I passed on buying any Skywalds. I voted Warren in the poll - you just can't argue with quality.

Growing up, my Mag horror diet consisted of 80% Warren, 20% Skywald but I had to give the vote to Skywald for their sheer unusual creepy take on the genre!

After reading all the praise for Skywalds in this Forum, I went to the LCS recently to buy some copies to check them out (of course, I had seen the garish covers before, but had never actually read any issues). I was about to buy a few copies when the LCS owner told me that I might want to open up the bagged copies and flip through the material before buying any, as they were, in his words, "some of the worst comics ever published."

You know, I think he was right. After flipping through a few issues, I realized that there was no way I would have the patience to sit through and read this dreck, especially considering how many unread Warren mags I have (which actually have good stories by some of the brightest talents to ever work in comics).

Needless to say, I passed on buying any Skywalds. I voted Warren in the poll - you just can't argue with quality.

Well to each their own as I’m not here to convert anyone but you are selling these mags short IMHO. While I can honestly say that some stories could be considered dreck, there are some absolute gems in the mix. The Skywald stories, to me, were more thought provoking than the Warrens and the Marvel mag fare. Tales such as “I, Slime” (Psycho # 9) where a legless postman is tortured by lunatics, and “Limb From Limb From Death” (Nightmare ’72 Annual) where a man loses his mind for not complying to a dire agreement, explored horror on a more psychological level which I believe was what the “Horror-Mood” was all about. The Skywalds of course also mixed in a lot of blood and guts but I have always thought that was secondary to the main topic of their stories.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW: Some of those "garish" covers were beautiful!

At least you came here and voted! thumbsup2.gif

I don't agree that Skywald are some of the worst comics ever published, has your LCS owner been reading many modern comics the last 20 years? There are plenty worse out there compared to Skywald.

Warren and Skywald were two polar opposites on their view of what horror was. I won't say which is better, because I like most all horror, but Skywald was taking a new path for that time period. Hewetson was more of a pioneer, while Warren and editorial staff were more of the same ol' same ol' take on the genre. Skywald had several heady, intellectual tales. Very psychological horror at times.

No disrespect Delekkerste, but are you positive you weren't looking at mags from Eerie pubs as opposed to Skywald? Don't flame me, I'm sure you know your stuff pretty well as I've seen some great posts from ya, but Warren and Skywald were almost on par for quality. So, when you say "garish" and "dreck" concerning magazines, I think more of Eerie pubs. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No disrespect Delekkerste, but are you positive you weren't looking at mags from Eerie pubs as opposed to Skywald? Don't flame me, I'm sure you know your stuff pretty well as I've seen some great posts from ya, but Warren and Skywald were almost on par for quality. So, when you say "garish" and "dreck" concerning magazines, I think more of Eerie pubs. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh 893censored-thumb.gif!! You're right - I got Skywald and Eerie confused. I was definitely referring to Eerie Pubs. - Terror Tales, Tales from the Tomb and the like. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif That was just some god-awful looking dreck that I couldn't see myself wasting my time on.

I guess now I have to go out and find some actual Skywalds! Though I'll still be surprised if the quality is better than Warren - I think Warren had better creative teams than even Marvel and DC in the 1970s. But, in any case, my apologies to the Skywald fans out there. sorry.gif Now, as for you Eerie Pubs. fans out there... wink.gif

Oh 893censored-thumb.gif!! You're right - I got Skywald and Eerie confused. I was definitely referring to Eerie Pubs. - Terror Tales, Tales from the Tomb and the like. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif That was just some god-awful looking dreck that I couldn't see myself wasting my time on.

I guess now I have to go out and find some actual Skywalds! Though I'll still be surprised if the quality is better than Warren - I think Warren had better creative teams than even Marvel and DC in the 1970s. But, in any case, my apologies to the Skywald fans out there. sorry.gif Now, as for you Eerie Pubs. fans out there... wink.gif

foreheadslap.gif Well at least the cloud is lifted! grin.gif

I wouldn't say that Skywalds were better than Warrens, just different approaches to horror stories. I think it takes reading a couple of issues till you see where they are coming from.

Dele Dele Dele... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Yer gudda wetch yer muth rund dees purts of duh Wuds, thur pilgrem flamed.gif

Haha...Yeah man Skywald was top stuff. Here is the deal. They were on par with Warren. You just have to look at the right books. When Skywald started out (1971-1972) issues I believe had a mix of Pre-code reprints and original stories. From the Time of Psycho #8 on (from this point on for all other Skywald titles as well) Hewetson developed the "Horror Mood" and this is where you fill find these superior stories (Hint: Psycho #8 is a landmark book because of this gossip.gif ). Issues following up to that were still good but maybe nothing to rant sign-rantpost.gif and rave about since they did have pre-code reprints mixed in.

Now as for Eerie Pub. Yes these are not quite for the intellectual reader. First off they are highly collectible because of thier rediculous covers. In addition to having a sparse distribution it makes them difficult to obtain in Higher Grades (VF 8.0 and up). These mostly contained all reprinted Pre-code material. So some of the stuff that you were reading in there was actually straight from books from the 50's. Now some of the Eerie Pub stuff had Ayers work in it, which is a treat when you find it.

Along the same lines Stanley Publications was as pretty "putrid". The stories were just as bad (with all reprints absolutely no new content that I know of) and thier covers were much more crude and elementary. But again, when talking about collectability, this is a whole different area. They as well had sparse distribution, and were just about printed on toilet paper (the pages were just about that thin) Making these extremely difficult to get in any type of Upper Mid grade or better.

Hope that gives a little bit to enlighten. :-) Glad to see you in the magazine thread... thumbsup2.gif

-bounty