• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Beware #7

I'm catching up on some of these books and getting near the end of my PreCode starter collection. This one is special as it was a Father's Day gift from my wife, and 2 year old twins!!

A big ugly monster on the cover is what they knew I'd love about it. Have they got my number or what?!

That's an underrated Hollingsworth cover. (thumbs u

Great book! I've given that book the nickname "Zombie Kiss" cover for obvious reasons and the story Heartline is indeed pretty good.

You've been picking up some great books Darth, really like that Beware too! (thumbs u

Been off the boards for a bit since I got married and was on my honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. This was my last purchase just before that all happened...

We've all seen this cover before but this issue sports some nice interior art too. When I get a chance I'll take a few pics!

chamofchills19.jpg

Can't wait to get a copy of this book!

Congrats on the marriage Jayman! :applause:

Edited by Darth Corgi

"Journey Into Mystery" #5

I love this cover.

-The linework is just fantastic here.

-Aren't those guys in the background just too cool?! I think they were used in the later Venus covers as well! Years before old Goldilocks took over the book, we had this little gang of bones. Imagine if the title was handed over to them. Wouldn't it be cool to see them return for at least a one-shot?

-Green cover! :cloud9: Why are green covers so popular? For me, its always been my favorite color.

83789.jpg.4bf253dd63edc3a2c9ad63d9f44f8bb5.jpg

Beware #7

I'm catching up on some of these books and getting near the end of my PreCode starter collection. This one is special as it was a Father's Day gift from my wife, and 2 year old twins!!

A big ugly monster on the cover is what they knew I'd love about it. Have they got my number or what?!

That issue also had a Black Death story which I saved for my Comics and the Microbial World article. Art by Keifer I think.

3811058299_62b75face3_o.jpg

Beware #7

That issue also had a Black Death story which I saved for my Comics and the Microbial World article. Art by Keifer I think.

3811058299_62b75face3_o.jpg

Do you have the rest of the story scanned? If so...post it pretty please?

Great cover and comments!

Why are green covers so popular?
Green is the sweet spot of human vision. Visible light is made up of 7 colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) with green being the middle color . As a result, human eyes are able to see more graduations of the color green than any other color, the main reason why night vision goggles display their output in greens. My favorite comic color is red, which is the color that is most readily recognized by our brains (it's not an accident that Stop signs are red), but I would get bored if all my comics were red.

Great book! I've given that book the nickname "Zombie Kiss" cover for obvious reasons and the story Heartline is indeed pretty good.

You've been picking up some great books Darth, really like that Beware too! (thumbs u

Been off the boards for a bit since I got married and was on my honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. This was my last purchase just before that all happened...

We've all seen this cover before but this issue sports some nice interior art too. When I get a chance I'll take a few pics!

chamofchills19.jpg

Thanks DC! How odd that this issue and story deal with marriage!

Here are the begining and ending splashes from the cover story, hope you don't mind the spoiled spoiler! :insane:

83817.jpg.07e70d0018be795233119e24905f1b37.jpg

83818.jpg.ab73c25cefb6fead525c475b3b834279.jpg

83819.jpg.a6818b4d6c270072200983d65d81136c.jpg

Beware #7

Great book and you're lucky to have a family that would get you such a gift! You've got an eye for some nice books. BTW, my kids love Korgi!

Here are a couple I posted over in the Alphabet Soup thread. Please excuse cross-post - thought they'd go good here, too.

JIUW #37 (#2) - At first I was going to say it's not really a horror cover, but it doesn't get much more horrible than huge asteroids smashing into the earth. Bill Everett greatness.

Eerie Adventures - One of my fave pre-code covers.

83820.jpg.9f9276cdda632ab19f7b94a290bdf9d4.jpg

83821.jpg.c71d9d74874059826bb1dfb633ba838a.jpg

Great cover and comments!

Why are green covers so popular?
Green is the sweet spot of human vision. Visible light is made up of 7 colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) with green being the middle color . As a result, human eyes are able to see more graduations of the color green than any other color, the main reason why night vision goggles display their output in greens. My favorite comic color is red, which is the color that is most readily recognized by our brains (it's not an accident that Stop signs are red), but I would get bored if all my comics were red.

That'll explain it! (worship)

chamofchills19.jpg

Thanks DC! How odd that this issue and story deal with marriage!

Here are the begining and ending splashes from the cover story, hope you don't mind the spoiled spoiler! :insane:

Bob Powell draws like a demon!! His stuff is always so sharp and animated!! Thanks for posting this Jayman! It's going to the top of the wantlist!

Also, first time I noticed that cool cuffling on that cover! (thumbs u

Here are a couple I posted over in the Alphabet Soup thread. Please excuse cross-post - thought they'd go good here, too.

JIUW #37 (#2) - At first I was going to say it's not really a horror cover, but it doesn't get much more horrible than huge asteroids smashing into the earth. Bill Everett greatness.

Eerie Adventures - One of my fave pre-code covers.

Eerie Adventures....

Probably my favorite Ziff Davis cover!

I love this cover.

-Aren't those guys in the background just too cool?! I think they were used in the later Venus covers as well! Years before old Goldilocks took over the book, we had this little gang of bones. Imagine if the title was handed over to them. Wouldn't it be cool to see them return for at least a one-shot?

-Green cover! :cloud9: Why are green covers so popular? For me, its always been my favorite color.

Always been one of my absolute favorite PCH covers! Never had the chance to buy one though in many years.

I love this cover.

One of my favorites as well! Everett at his best!

chamofchills19.jpg

Congrats on getting married! :applause:

Hand Of Fate #14

My first ACE book and I thought it was pretty good! Most of these pre-codes form Ace seem to be underappreciated and maybe that's because of the less than stellar covers but this book at least was enjoyable. I really enjoyed the Fate "host" narrator/storyteller aspect to it. Similar to EC's 3 goulatics but a bit more original.

Got this from the boards a while ago for about the price of 2 fancy Starbucks drinks! :D Great deal!

84273.jpg.b9c0b8616022b9160b3d797ad85a28d0.jpg