• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

It starts tomorrow!

I made a list awhile ago featuring my favorite PreCode Horror covers. These were 25 of the craziest, weirdest, and most hideous PreCode Horror books I could find. The list was strictly set at 25 covers and even though there were a few additions and subtractions, the list remained the same.

Recently, I finished the task of assembling all of these books and I thought it would be appropriate for the week leading up to Halloween to share it with you, my fellow depraved newsprint-smelling PreCoders!

I'll start tomorrow with the first 5 and will continue to post 5 covers a day until the list is wrapped up on Friday!

"The Terrible 25" begins tomorrow! Stay tuned....

105265.jpg.59e73136f6b547cef85c309256f85053.jpg

Has anyone read this book? Any recommendations on how good it is?

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/10/21/the-horror-the-horro.html

Has anyone read this book? Any recommendations on how good it is?

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/10/21/the-horror-the-horro.html

Looks like another great resource for PreCode horror! I'd say the price is worth it for the DVD alone. Between this book and Four Color Fear, it might start another craze for these books! Hopefully it won't make the prices for these PreCodes explode. :P

Beginning today, I will be listing my personal favorite 25 PreCode Horror covers. One of the guidelines I set up is that each book has to truly be a "horror" comic to be considered. This excludes "Crime" PreCode Horror, so this means no LawBreakers 11 or CSS 22. Those will be on another list featuring PreCode Crime/Shock covers.

I will be listing 5 covers a day until it is finished on Friday. I will also be including my commentary. Hopefully you won't find it too annoying and corny. :P

I'd also like to add that this is a very subjective list and even though I have given it a good amount of study and stand by it, I'll admit that there is room for argument as to where each cover should fall and if they should of even been included. So hopefully you ghouls will chime in! This should be fun!

Starting soon.....

105322.jpg.bb7afbaa9ace4c049a39032cda7ff605.jpg

The Thing! - no.15

I think this is the best of Steve Ditko’s “The Thing!” covers. Issue 12 is a close second but this one has more excitement and chaos. The drooling worm is pretty sick. Fans of this book know the inside stories are all Ditko and his signature placement on this cover is great.

105323.jpg.b0ebe7860119ffc2864f3e2ab464bda5.jpg

Worlds Of Fear - no. 10

Norman Saunders painted a few horror covers for Fawcett and I find them all to be amazing. This one is a classic and very well known.

-I wonder what the eye sockets would look like painted dark or pouring blood?

-This cover reminds me of Indiana Jones getting chased by that big boulder in Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Can you imagine if that scene was shot with a speeding giant eyeball?......Hmmm..Ok, maybe not

-I got this copy from Shiverbones. Thanks again Matthew!

105324.jpg.fb7c610697d204ba1116d50aa6228747.jpg

Web Of Mystery - no.17

Over the last year, I have really gotten into ACE PreCode horror and the reason is because of the artist that drew this amazing cover right here. Lou Cameron has a real fresh approach to these stories. They are not usually over-the-top shock stories filled with gore. Cameron’s style is creative and executed with some solid traditional drawing skills. There is a nice 1950’s style to these. They sometimes feel like illustrations from a storybook.

When I first saw this cover, I was totally blown away by that witch face. My favorite part of the cover?.....the way the hair is drawn. That right there is an artist having fun!

105325.jpg.c527d0b81aca42d0bfa65c161c2975a3.jpg

Astonishing - no.30

Ok, this cover gets big points for concept. Giant eyeballs shooting out beams has been done a couple of times but in a dark graveyard and causing the victim’s flesh to melt away... Well, put it together and you’ve got one classic Atlas Horror cover!

Is it me or does that lady look like she’s screaming at the victim in anger? Jeesh. Let a guy melt in peace!

105326.jpg.a650a6ef41213cf94ad923bd871d4702.jpg

Witches Tales - no.25

In my opinion, THIS is how to draw a decapitated head! A lot of decap covers seem to cartoon the neck and head a bit for my taste. This creates a manikin-like effect. I mean if you have the guts to put a severed head on the cover, then make sure it looks as creepy and realistic as possible. Just my opinion.

This cover makes me sick if I look at it too long. I think it’s one of the best Harvey ever put out. I’m not a huge fan of additional type cluttering up the cover design, but I like how the text falls in an “S” curve above the swinging bell.

105327.jpg.0001eaf9c4528cc90276587c08c3cc2f.jpg