• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Great list! I am pretty surprised that Horrific 1 was placed so high, I honestly doubt it would even be in my top 50, but your rationale was interesting. We had 5 of the same books in the top ten (with one in the identical position) and three more appeared lower on your list.

Here's mine:

1. Mister Mystery 12

2. Weird Mysteries 5

3. Black Cat 50

4. Venus 19

5. Tomb of Terror 15

6. Weird Tales of the Future 3

7. Horrific 3

8. Weird Tales of the Future 7

9. Thing 15

10. Chamber of Chills 19

My top 6 is pretty firm, the remainder of the top ten would change on a daily basis.

Fellow PreCode creeps and CGC boardies, I present my Terrible 25.......

105507.jpg

Great List! I can say I own one book from every tier and two from the top five! :cloud9:

There are some surprises in there but all in all nicely done! (thumbs u

I forgot all about the startling, just goes to show what a tough job this list was to put together. Forgot Venus too for cripesmsakes!

I know, right? That was the trouble with this list. I thought I had it all set and then I remembered a run of books or a particular book and had to make room.

Great job Christian. :applause: I don't agree with all of your choices, but then again, they are your personal faves, so how can they be wrong?

Still think you needed a Thing! 12 in there. :shy:

Scott, I agree. It's a crime that Thing 12 was left off but I assure you it was sooooooo close to being on there. So close!

Great list! I am pretty surprised that Horrific 1 was placed so high, I honestly doubt it would even be in my top 50, but your rationale was interesting. We had 5 of the same books in the top ten (with one in the identical position) and three more appeared lower on your list.

Here's mine:

1. Mister Mystery 12

2. Weird Mysteries 5

3. Black Cat 50

4. Venus 19

5. Tomb of Terror 15

6. Weird Tales of the Future 3

7. Horrific 3

8. Weird Tales of the Future 7

9. Thing 15

10. Chamber of Chills 19

My top 6 is pretty firm, the remainder of the top ten would change on a daily basis.

What I think is neat about these lists is that everyone is going to have different ones. There will be obvious anchor books, but when a list is 25, it forces some surprises!

Andy, I hear you about the last books changing on a daily basis...That was fun, but tough to do. It just goes to show how many great books there are out there.

Thanks for all the great comments! PreCode horror books are so much fun to collect. I find making these lists, organizing the collection and discussing it as much fun as reading the books themselves.

105507.jpg

Great List! I can say I own one book from every tier and two from the top five! :cloud9:

It's great to hear you've got so many Jayman, though I'm not surprised! Still got that killer Startling 11?.... :shy:

Thanks for all the great comments! PreCode horror books are so much fun to collect. I find making these lists, organizing the collection and discussing it as much fun as reading the books themselves.

105507.jpg

It's great to hear you've got so many Jayman, though I'm not surprised! Still got that killer Startling 11?.... :shy:

Those are all great covers. I think I have one or two of them but most of them have been available. Don't know why I haven't purchased them. Only the Startling Terror and Venus is really overpriced.

These are all wonderful covers. You can take any row or column and make a decent argument for it being the "5 best"

Your choices for Bailey track identical to mine and I think of him as the preeminent PCH cover artist for the quantity of high quality horror covers.

The one I like the least is the Horrific #1. When I've seen it in person it just has not had much shock value (the coloring lessens the impact though I can't explain why I think that). I much prefer any number of Don Heck covers for Comic Media.

Thanks for sharing your research and thoughts. And congratulations for completing your goal! :applause:

105507.jpg

Great show! Thanks for helping set the mood for Halloween!

I applaud your choices of the Fantastic Fears, Horrific, and Web Of Mystery.

You're right about pre-code horror being great to collect. I share your enthusiasm for the wild stories and art.

Another nice thing is that among the many great comics, there are many not considered "keys." So if you're not too picky about condition, you can still get some great reading for few bucks.

Here are five off the top of the stack, all got for cheap recently...

Happy Halloween

105536.jpg.a3f93337305c6810aba0bbb7c3f73a65.jpg

105537.jpg.117bb669c8454b0da4c3225543648a4f.jpg

105538.jpg.d389fadc52ec74da22cbeb5026648be2.jpg

105539.jpg.77e9b400df1e6ad65f1093bba8624903.jpg

105540.jpg.697e072105c71b6fdf504aaee8dd585f.jpg

Awesome books BOOT! I love that Voodoo cover.

I think the early AITU issues were pretty cool and they certainly have great covers. I know that the title eventually turned very tame by PreCode standards but I think there is some terrific stuff in the early issues....All I've read are 1 and 11... I think issue #3 has an Al Feldstein story. That would be great one to track down.

:whee:

The Terrible 25 list was a lot of fun. Maybe next year I'll expand it to my Terrible 50 or perhaps make top ten lists among the publishers.... Maybe a top 10 Atlas Horror covers? hm

Maybe a top 10 Atlas Horror covers? hm

I was thinking of this while you were doing your "Terrible 25"!

Great minds think alike! lol

(thumbs u

I also like Shiverbones idea of an "underrated comics" list...

Maybe a best skull covers list, etc...really there are so many possibilities....

I think my favorite day to get a book in the mail is on Friday. It's a great way to kick off the weekend.

Today a PreCode grail of mine arrived. I haven't been in a rush to get this book because I wanted a copy that was perfect for me, with flaws in the right places. Thanks to fellow boardie Cris who helped make it happen!

I love Black Cat 50, Weird Mysteries 5, Venus 19, and all the other shock rags, but something about TOT 15 is just so friggin over the top. I think its because of the action taking place, and all the red in the logo...it looks animated. Well, whatever the reason, I put this one up there with the best of them.....

yeah I really like this book... Trying to find a copy around this grade as well, that isn't priced over the top like the ones presently up on ebay now. Nice grab, congrats.

Edited by Twistty1