• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the great comments! PreCode horror books are so much fun to collect. I find making these lists, organizing the collection and discussing it as much fun as reading the books themselves.

Fellow PreCode creeps and CGC boardies, I present my Terrible 25.......

105507.jpg

Great List! I can say I own one book from every tier and two from the top five! :cloud9:

There are some surprises in there but all in all nicely done! (thumbs u

It's great to hear you've got so many Jayman, though I'm not surprised! Still got that killer Startling 11?.... :shy:

Those are all great covers. I think I have one or two of them but most of them have been available. Don't know why I haven't purchased them. Only the Startling Terror and Venus is really overpriced.

I think a few more of those covers are commanding high prices now BB (I guess it's all relative though). I've seen Horrific 3, Mr Mystery 12 and Weird Mysteries, all in mid grades, going for big prices lately.

I really wanted that Mr. Mystery 12 5.0 that recently ended on CC but just missed out on it.

Thanks for all the great comments! PreCode horror books are so much fun to collect. I find making these lists, organizing the collection and discussing it as much fun as reading the books themselves.

Fellow PreCode creeps and CGC boardies, I present my Terrible 25.......

105507.jpg

Great List! I can say I own one book from every tier and two from the top five! :cloud9:

There are some surprises in there but all in all nicely done! (thumbs u

It's great to hear you've got so many Jayman, though I'm not surprised! Still got that killer Startling 11?.... :shy:

Those are all great covers. I think I have one or two of them but most of them have been available. Don't know why I haven't purchased them. Only the Startling Terror and Venus is really overpriced.

I think a few more of those covers are commanding high prices now BB (I guess it's all relative though). I've seen Horrific 3, Mr Mystery 12 and Weird Mysteries, all in mid grades, going for big prices lately.

I really wanted that Mr. Mystery 12 5.0 that recently ended on CC but just missed out on it.

Yeah, I remember that MM 12. Another 2.5 sold here on the boards a couple of weeks ago. They do turn up but when they do, expect to pony up the coin to get it. That said, I'm sure you'll get one. If you were able to acquire some of the impressive books in your sig line, a MM12 shouldn't be too far off in your future. Good luck! (thumbs u

One of our boardies asked to republish the Terrible 25 on his blog! :

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/31/the-terrible-25-of-pre-code-comic-book-horror/

After putting in a good chunk of time on it, I'm glad I can share it with more collectors.

Thanks again Mark!

-Christian

It's definitely an impressive group of books. I should try to put something like that together for my crime books. Congrats!

Great work and thanks for posting...except now I need to own every one! I could kick myself for passing up the WEIRD MYSTERIES last week though I just got this one at a local miscellanious auction for a few dollars:

weird.JPG
From Comics

Great work and thanks for posting...except now I need to own every one! I could kick myself for passing up the WEIRD MYSTERIES last week though I just got this one at a local miscellanious auction for a few dollars:

weird.JPG
From Comics

Not bad for a few bucks! I still need that one. Love the Wolverton art!

I recently picked up this Horror Tales. It's the first Eerie mag in my collection. I usually don't collect magazines but now we know who was pulling the brain out on the famous WM #5 cover!

Also, if you haven't heard yet, one of our boardie's, Mike H. recently published a book on these crazy Eerie magazines: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932595872/ref=pe_112610_17644660_snp_dp

Anybody get their copy yet?

106277.jpg.c4c638cb2298c98e53019af8e9d681e3.jpg

I recently picked up this Horror Tales. It's the first Eerie mag in my collection. I usually don't collect magazines but now we know who was pulling the brain out on the famous WM #5 cover!

Also, if you haven't heard yet, one of our boardie's, Mike H. recently published a book on these crazy Eerie magazines: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932595872/ref=pe_112610_17644660_snp_dp

Anybody get their copy yet?

Nice pick-up! That might be the only homage/swipe cover from the Eerie Pubs. line.

Still doesn't help figure out whether it's a man or gorilla who's geting the 'ol brain switcheroo! So did you find the stories "Spine-Snapping"! :insane:

Haven't posted a scan in about a year, hope I remember how to do this! lol

Welcome back Keith! This is an appropriate cover to post after coming out of hiding for a year. "What is this place?"....... :insane:

Some of these ACG covers really rock. I haven't seen this one yet.

Haven't posted a scan in about a year, hope I remember how to do this! lol

Welcome back Keith! This is an appropriate cover to post after coming out of hiding for a year. "What is this place?"....... :insane:

Some of these ACG covers really rock. I haven't seen this one yet.

Good to see ya posting again, Keith... been awhile :D