• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

[

...& what in the world is this "Ghost Clinic" thing?! confused-smiley-013.gif

884667-jf5a.jpg

Well, I just noticed that GHOST CLINIC is the ongoing name of the forum for all the TEXT stories that appear in each issue! Since I never pay attention to the text pieces it escaped my keen eye until now... tonofbricks.gif

Uh, ok Pov! If you say so! wink.gif

Did I mention that issue has the legendary pre-code schlock tale, "The Flat Man" ???893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK, now you know we really need to see a pic/panel of the "Flat Man" sumo.gif

Did I mention that issue has the legendary pre-code schlock tale, "The Flat Man" ???893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wasn't that reprinted in Mr. Monster's Hi-Shock Schlock? Pretty weird story if I recall.

Is there any relationship between Superior and Ajax/Farrell?

The fonts used for the cover titles (of the interior stories) are similar, but not exactly the same as the ones used on Farrell covers. However the Superior title logos are not nearly as inventive as the Farrell ones. How are the interiors? I've been enjoying the covers!

To my knowledge the main connection is that they both used the Iger Shop for their art. Any other business connection would be a new one on me, but I wouldn't rule it out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To my knowledge the main connection is that they both used the Iger Shop for their art. Any other business connection would be a new one on me, but I wouldn't rule it out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Journey into Fear btw was one of the titles published by another Canadian outfit, Superior Publications. Based in Toronto, Ontario, and headed by William Zimmerman, from 1947-1956 Superior (a.k.a. Dynamic), reprinted American comics for Canadian distribution while exporting its own titles to the USA. Superior's line of original comic books (mostly made up of horror and romance titles) was supervised by Robert Farrell and Jerry Iger, whose studio provided the scripts and artwork. In 1944, Farrell had started his own publishing house, Ajax/Farrell Publications (a.k.a. Excellent, Four Star, Steinway, and America's Best), with financial help from S. Lichtenbert. [...]"

Excerpt from Alberto Becattini's Baker of Cheesecake: An Appreciation of Matt Baker, Good Girl Artist Supreme in Alter Ego 47, April 2005.

So it seems Farrell worked for Superior before splitting off to create Farrell.

Wasn't that reprinted in Mr. Monster's Hi-Shock Schlock? Pretty weird story if I recall.

Indeed it was reprinted in that book!

Jayman, ask & ye shall recieve a taste.....

890440-jf18a.jpg

890440-jf18a.jpg.175611cd407df4fc0a86393f3ccac223.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

890440-jf18a.jpg

Is this going to be yet another "pressing" thread?

Since I am in the middle of planning a wedding right now, it almost gives me the creeps! crazy.gif

Let's hope your bride doesn't give tou the same look as in the JIM # 6! poke2.gif