• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

I understand your point about calling Franky sci-fi, but this is really the first I've heard of anyone espouse that. I could go with it being a mix of sci-fi and horror (isn't it still considered a classic example of gothic horror?), but not that it's only sci-fi.

As I did say, Frankenstein is a mix. But the core of it is science-fiction. It is also social commentary with horror and hothic elements. The whole idea of classifying something as horror or science fiction is, ultimately, a subjective thing. However, the writing and film community in general actually DO consider Frankenstein to be, first, science fiction. It has often been cited as the first science fiction novel. Even the film itself, with added horror elements, is usually classified as science fiction, if such classifications are adhered to. But I do not want to give away too much of my "treatise" at this point.

Beyond the sci-fi aspect, a real issue with them calling Frankenstein "second horror comic?" is that it is five years BEFORE the EC Vaulkt/Tales "1st horror comic". I mean - what the screwy.gif is up with THAT? grin.gif

It does seem that O's distinctions regarding horror comic evolution are little out of whack, but then I don't look for him to explain comics to me. I still haven't bought this year's guide and, unless I find it cheap, I don't intend to.

Obviously I don;t look to them to explain comics to me, or I would not be disputing this whole thing! grin.gif But as horror is something I hold very dear, especially in collecting comics and film posters, when I see something like this I feel compelled to correct it. It would be nice to give the TRUE firsts their due in the most widely read comic book book. thumbsup2.gif

The problem with designating a book as the "first horror comic" is that I believe that books such as Mask Comics and Suspense Comics (at least via the lurid covers), as an example, we're testing the boundaries of horror before Eerie #1 was released. Where do you draw the line?

The problem with designating a book as the "first horror comic" is that I believe that books such as Mask Comics and Suspense Comics (at least via the lurid covers), as an example, we're testing the boundaries of horror before Eerie #1 was released. Where do you draw the line?

I draw the line at content. If there is a mix of genres, say a mix of horror and crime stories or horror and superhero stories, I don't consider the BOOK a horror comic, although I would certainly consider a horror story in such books to be horror. But not the book itself.

I also think it would be pretty danged interesting to try to determine the first horror story in comics, especially one that is not an adaptation of a previously written work (such as Frankenstein or Jekyll and Hyde).

They have the art to Front Page up for sale in Heritage and that's definitely a horror cover. In addition, YellowJacket contains horror stories with a host, no less -- they just weren't on the cover which was still monopolized by the eponymous superhero. There's quite a bit to the evolution of horror comics, and, as you can see in the Frankenstein discussion, a gray area or two.

Wanted to continue the discussion earlier but we had a tremendous sunset here on the east coast and was summoned to go for a kayak ride.

POV, I believe I see your point, you're asking that Overstreet designate more accurately the distinctions between horror and science fiction books including notes.

Are you looking for examples like this?

XXX Comics # 12

Horror cover

Contents: Jungle and crime reprints

Journey into YYY Worlds # 34

Scince Fiction cover

Contents: werewolf story

Wanted to continue the discussion earlier but we had a tremendous sunset here on the east coast and was summoned to go for a kayak ride.

POV, I believe I see your point, you're asking that Overstreet designate more accurately the distinctions between horror and science fiction books including notes.

Are you looking for examples like this?

XXX Comics # 12

Horror cover

Contents: Jungle and crime reprints

Journey into YYY Worlds # 34

Scince Fiction cover

Contents: werewolf story

If OS would do that, that would be pretty sweet. My main thrust, though, is trying to figure out why OS has come up with such terms as "weird", "supernatural" and "horror" and broken specifics books out based on such terms. I want to know the experts in the genre that contributed to the definitions OS is currently using, and the criteria used to determine these definitions. To me it is a rather shoddy approach with no real basis beyond, possibly, some dealers and advisors giving a stab at these definitions.

OS has the 1950 Crypt of Terror and Vault of horror listed as being tied for the first horror comic

OS got into comics bigtime as a kid with EC Comics. There may be a bit of nostalgia coloring his views.

OS has the 1950 Crypt of Terror and Vault of horror listed as being tied for the first horror comic

OS got into comics bigtime as a kid with EC Comics. There may be a bit of nostalgia coloring his views.

May be. I wish I had some of my old OS guides, though. I could semi-swear going back 20 years or so that Eerie 1 from 1947 was listed as 1st horror comic and Adventures Into The Unknown was the first continuing horror series.

Can anyone go back in time with their old overstreets and check these out? thumbsup2.gif

May be. I wish I had some of my old OS guides, though. I could semi-swear going back 20 years or so that Eerie 1 from 1947 was listed as 1st horror comic and Adventures Into The Unknown was the first continuing horror series.

Can anyone go back in time with their old overstreets and check these out? thumbsup2.gif

I'll look it up for you tomorrow,.....I've got my Beer-Goggles on right now. thumbsup2.gif

insane.gif

As of 1998 (OS 28), Eerie #1 was the "1st Horror Comic" and Adv Into Unknown was the "1st continuous horror series".

But by 2001 (OS 31), they are both demoted to "supernatural". I don't have OS 29 or 30.

As of 1998 (OS 28), Eerie #1 was the "1st Horror Comic" and Adv Into Unknown was the "1st continuous horror series".

But by 2001 (OS 31), they are both demoted to "supernatural". I don't have OS 29 or 30.

Sweet Norrin! The clock ticks. The whatever whatevers!

Can you please check Classics Illustrated #26. Would be interesting to see if it was listed back then as "2nd horror comic?"???

Dang! I leave for a birthday party & return to find the Undead Horror Thread in the midst of quite possibly the best discussion we have ever had to date! blush.gif With great restraint I will withold further posting until later.... too much beer. crazy.gif

Dang! I leave for a birthday party & return to find the Undead Horror Thread in the midst of quite possibly the best discussion we have ever had to date! blush.gif With great restraint I will withold further posting until later.... too much beer. crazy.gif

Aw, come on! Some of your best posts have been when you've had too much beer. wink.gif

Aw, come on! Some of your best posts have been when you've had too much beer. wink.gif

Yesssssss. Beer Post! Beer Post!