• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Thanks for the tip. thumbsup2.gif

I don't watch horror movies/TV shows (way too scary for me!), but anything I can get on the comics is all good to me.

but page 15 is a splash page of a giant orange monster consuming innocent town folk.

Yowsa! All the more reason to seek this one! Did it look anything like BOC? smile.gif

BOC is a TLA for?

You know. our own Bachelor Of Comics.

err - what is TLA?

TLA = Three Letter Acronym

Does BOC stand 30 feet tall covered in orange hair with a gaping maw?

news.gif

.....very pre-code horror related...

...I just picked up the "TALES FROM THE CRYPT: SEASON ONE" DVD, a two disk set. The second disk has a feature on it called "TFTC: From Comic Books to Television." This is a must have for PCH collectors. The focus is mainly on the comics and is very slickly produced. Lots of shots of more than just EC horror comics, plenty of the "other guys" on it as well. I can't suggest this one enough for any horror comic collector, especially those among us who are "video starved." thumbsup2.gif

Cool! I just checked this on Amazon and there is a stand-alone version of the documentary that has more footage than the one included in the Season One DVD set (don;t you HATE when they do that!).

Here is the official site for the documentary:

CryptDVD

Man, I just bought the Season One DVD Sunday & it's great! Loved HBO's TFTC! Guess I will have to get the "stand alone" version as well, dagnabit!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Welcome Dr. Carruthers! wink.gif

Hmmm - are you referring to the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Star Presentations that Fox did? Is the only thing I can think of that may qualify as a horror comic.

Hmmmm, I see you know something about the ol' Devil Bat. Fangs for the welcome! thumbsup2.gif

Indeed, the Jekyl/Hyde book was the one I had in mind. I didn't think they did any others until I read Adam's post. boo.gif

I must go for now, working on a new invention.....

Man, I just bought the Season One DVD Sunday & it's great! Loved HBO's TFTC! Guess I will have to get the "stand alone" version as well, dagnabit!!

Hey! You can't say "dagnabit"!!! I have the Board Copyright on that!

Dag-Freaking-Nabit!!!!!!!!!! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Here - rub this on the tender part of your neck. You will find it very soothing.

Don't be too surprised about STT #11 being a reprint! Almost everything that L.B. Cole published as Star Publications was reprints of some sort.

Speaking of Cole.... how I wish that he did at least one story using his primary "poster colors" that he used on many of his covers. Basically his books (with some exceptions... the Disbrow stories in particular) were junky reprints with fantastic covers.

Cool! I just checked this on Amazon and there is a stand-alone version of the documentary that has more footage than the one included in the Season One DVD set (don;t you HATE when they do that!).

Here is the official site for the documentary:

CryptDVD

That's what I get for impulse buying without doing any research! makepoint.gif

Suppose I'll have to drop more coin on this unedited version. tonofbricks.gif

My two cents: Overstreet needs to clarify the difference between "horror, supernatural, weird" whatever. They just arbitrarily change things with that guide to suit themselves, it would seem, without any reasoning stated to their readership. It's like their philosophy is "We change prices every year without detailed description as to why Book X went up, so why not change other things when we feel like it, especially if it behooves certain people affiliated with Overstreet." frustrated.gif

A good example, as Keith has pointed out, is the Eerie #1 from Avon. Just a couple years ago that book was NOT listed as scarce, but now mysteriously it is. If you follow PCH, you KNOW that book is NOT scarce. Seems to be one on eBay alone every other week! In reality I bet someone involved with the guide stockpiled a nice little stash before designating the change to "scarce" status. sign-rantpost.gif

Bottom line: there is no reason for any designation other than "1st horror this or that." Any other title is revisionist history in an ever continuing attempt to make EC look like the inventors of comic horror. 893naughty-thumb.gif

.....my disagreement with the way Overstreet uses the terms "horror", "supernatural", "wierd" etc to define books. OS has the 1950 Crypt of Terror and Vault of horror listed as being tied for the first horror comic, the 1947 Eerie #1 the first "supernatural" comic, the 1948 (pre-Vault/Crypt) Adventures Into The Unknown the first "supernatural Series", 1949 (pre-Vault/Crypt) Marvel Tales just "horror/Weird Stories Begin". In the midst of this they list the CI Frankenstein from 1945 as "2nd horror comic?". .....

So as a collector of horror, terror, supernatural, weird etc. I want to see an intelligent, reasoned and justified use of these terms as opposed to something that seems to make OS want EC to be the founder of horror.

Paull - The above Pov quote sums up many great points RE: Overstreet. The reason I care is that many people in the hobby rely heavily on the guide to ..well... guide their purchasing. So, it ought to at least be accurate. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Secondly, I feel they need to define a category if they are going to create one out of the blue. With no clear criteria, they may as well just keep creating new categories like "1st Boss Comic" or "First Groovy Issue" or "1st Put Your Adjective Here Story" in their efforts to keep creating new "key" issues. frown.gif

Secondly, I feel they need to define a category if they are going to create one out of the blue. With no clear criteria, they may as well just keep creating new categories like "1st Boss Comic" or "First Groovy Issue" or "1st Put Your Adjective Here Story" in their efforts to keep creating new "key" issues.

Devilish One! You really bit the neck in the jugular. I am now about 1/2 way through my "treatise" on this and will be sending it into Overstreet in another month or two. Certainly enough time for the next issue!

My plan is to post it here first and solicit folks who agree to add their names to it and also to add additional information, cfites etc. If this works out the piece can be sent with everyone's name who contributed. No longer just Pov's idea but a collective of pre-code horror fans speaking out against nebulous definitions that put certain books in Category Z while other books, perhaps less deserving, are put in Category A.

To paraphrase one of the greatest 50's sci-fi films: THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, "Keep Watching The Boards!!"