• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
22 22

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,245 posts in this topic

My plan is to post it here first and solicit folks who agree to add their names to it and also to add additional information, cfites etc. If this works out the piece can be sent with everyone's name who contributed. No longer just Pov's idea but a collective of pre-code horror fans speaking out against nebulous definitions that put certain books in Category Z while other books, perhaps less deserving, are put in Category A.

Pov, sign me up already! Wonderful idea! thumbsup2.gif

The problem with designating a book as the "first horror comic" is that I believe that books such as Mask Comics and Suspense Comics (at least via the lurid covers), as an example, we're testing the boundaries of horror before Eerie #1 was released. Where do you draw the line?

My thoughts on your question: I draw the line with content. If the book has a horror cover and is the first to have nothing but original horror stories on the interior it is the first horror comic.

Most covers with an "invisible something" theme tend to be HO-HUM compared to the ghouls and monster covers. Even the "What's behind the door/in the locked box" covers churn up more dread and imagination than these covers!

I just wonder if the honchos at Atlas were trying to tame things down before the senate hearings. Rumor has it that the "other guys" who were serious besides EC were trying to get the code to basically neuter EC alone. There is "proof" for this theory, but it is all circumstantial..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This one is a little more creepy... I think mostly due to the sculptor, who looks somewhat sinister. Still pretty tame, in fact I think it may have been reprinted as a cover in the 70's, but I'm not positive. confused-smiley-013.gif

909280-ju31.jpg

909280-ju31.jpg.fd1c81a2f275f90793465f52b0fad3af.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

I just wonder if the honchos at Atlas were trying to tame things down before the senate hearings. Rumor has it that the "other guys" who were serious besides EC were trying to get the code to basically neuter EC alone. There is "proof" for this theory, but it is all circumstantial..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's the theory of Pat Calhoun, an Atlas/pre-code expert who wrote for COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE.

That's the theory of Pat Calhoun, an Atlas/pre-code expert who wrote for COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE.

I've read some of Pat's wonderful columns, but I've never heard his take on this. Got a link or paste? I'd love to read what he has to say. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hey Keith! Have some mopre undead pre-code horror but! BUT! They are all 1-shots. So will be posting in the One-Shot thread. Why? because I think one-shots (especially pre-code horror) are very special and very cool so...three titles knowcked off my pre-code type set and three titles added to the 1-shot thread.

But you must seek out the one-shot thread! Seek. Seeeeekkkk........and ye shall find! :crazy.gif:

Looking forward to it!

I've gone through several issues of CBM, and I can't find where Calhoun said this. I know he did, but except for a few cursory statements("already anticipating the Comics Code, the tame cover" etc.), there isn't anything meatier. Sorry. sorry.gif