• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,229 posts in this topic

Jayman -

It sorta just worked out that some are better grades than most of the stuff. MM was a title I started buying very early in my PCH days when prices were much cheaper than today, so in those days I was buying issues based on "I don't have this yet" as opposed to "how much is it?" Often in the early days (93-94) I was buying issues I was seeing for the very first time. These days I've seen most of the horror stuff, & the purchases are based more on affordability.

Here's MM 19. One big-time horror collector I've spoken with has stated that this is the hardest issue of the run to get, even having it in his top 10 hardest PCH books. I've seen it around a couple times, so I don't think I'd go that far. Any thoughts? confused-smiley-013.gif

927027-mm19.jpg

927027-mm19.jpg.c80784077b4c3e07c100e262a260e1e5.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

That's a cool book, though different from the others. Was this issue released right before the Code clamped down on horror?

It was cover dated October 1954, and it is the last issue of the run. It contains reprints, as does 18. Guess the writing was on the wall.

Today's MailBag. Here's a title we missed / skipped when going through the Fs. So I present to you some Chilling Tales of Terror because The Haunting Horror of this Magazine is Fantastic!

928002-Fantastic8s.jpg

The red eyes to the skeleton head are much creepier in person.

928002-Fantastic8s.jpg.f19317af4ff5dc9b60b65e3cb76b9c5e.jpg

Today's MailBag. Here's a title we missed / skipped when going through the Fs. So I present to you some Chilling Tales of Terror because The Haunting Horror of this Magazine is Fantastic!

928002-Fantastic8s.jpg

The red eyes to the skeleton head are much creepier in person.

I love the SciFi/Horror combo going on here! That Ghoul's got good taste in women!

thumbsup2.gif

Of them all #13 is my favorite Mister Mystery cover. The eyes get me. Infinite sorrow. Looked for ages for a copy and got a slabbed one on ebay. Deslabbed it upon receipt.

Ya know, I kinda started to think that all the MM covers that BB drew with a victim, that the victim always appeared to be the same guy, or at least similar. What say you all? confused-smiley-013.gif

Very nice copy! I think the story title "The Clutching Hand" is a hoot, not for anything it may imply, but because it was also used as a series title by another publisher. This "coincidence" happened quite frequently with PCH & it always brings a smile to my face when I notice it... yay.gif

Very nice copy! I think the story title "The Clutching Hand" is a hoot, not for anything it may imply, but because it was also used as a series title by another publisher. This "coincidence" happened quite frequently with PCH & it always brings a smile to my face when I notice it... yay.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Was it a series or was it a 1-shot? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifdevil.gif