• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,238 posts in this topic

I'll second that thumbs-up!

Switching gears for a moment to some images that will make everyone's specimens appear high grade.

Several years back, I ran across a rather large (well over 1000-issue) hoard of pristine coverless comics that came out of the estate of a gentleman who owned a small five-and-dime shop in the 1950s. The most interesting thing about this find was that the books were still in their original retail display boxes (reproduced below).

th_Box-2.jpg

Clearly, someone had gone through some trouble to have boxes fabricated and printed (which suggests that the remaindered book market was closer to a gray market than a black market, if not a practice that was totally open and accepted by all involved).

TOO SWEET! Thanks for sharing! I love info like this. (thumbs u

There was an ebay auction in the last year where a guy was selling remaindered books (mid 1960s) that had not had the covers cut off and that had been placed in similar books. Several board members commented on having seen these as kids so it evidently went on for quite a while, though it was clearly not counter to the contracts between the publisher and distributor.

I seem to recall that the issue had excellent horror stories in addition to the beautiful "Atlas Green" cover (calling Jayman!). :applause:

I seem to recall that the issue had excellent horror stories in addition to the beautiful "Atlas Green" cover (calling Jayman!). :applause:

Hey I got green eyes, I can't help it! lol

Atlas greens, Mmmmmm.....

MensAdventures22Copy2.jpg

I suppose that an arguement could be made that this Heck cover features more "close-ups" than any of the others, but still falls into one of the weaker covers of the run, IMO. hm

Cover-wise, true, but what are the stories like?

I suppose that an arguement could be made that this Heck cover features more "close-ups" than any of the others, but still falls into one of the weaker covers of the run, IMO. hm

hm Slobbering guys with bad teeth can be pretty scary. And there's the whole black mascara thing.

Edited by adamstrange

Cover-wise, true, but what are the stories like?

Pretty average story-wise, but the last story drawn is by Rudy Palais, and his art pretty much rocks IMO. :headbang: