• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'll sell this to you on ONE condition........

62 posts in this topic

I'll pile on with more of the same advice.

If you have any interest in wanting the ability to re-sell, it's not worth it. It's free storage for the other guy.

If you're okay just looking at it and never have need of the liquidation opportunities in the future and you love it that much - then ownership doesn't matter - it's in your home so go for it.

100% with you on this. If you are buying this since it has always been something you have desired then is really anyone or anything going to deter you from it? I know that things can get passionate when one can finally purchase the piece they have wanted so they may agree to anything even if it's not in their best interest so they can seal the deal. I would also stipulate that if this condition really does bother you, you should then add the factor of I will resell it back to you at FMV. Of course with the discussion going on in the other thread the market could drop a bit down the road and selling it back to him at what you purchased it at could turn out to be a win then. Either way, you are the one who has to make the deal, not us, so if you can't sleep at night with that condition hanging over it every time you see the piece then it probably isn't worth it.

If the price drops it would not likely be a win for OP as the original seller can refuse to repurchase.

As much as I don’t like this offer and would work really hard to amend it to be more equitable on both sides, I can see a scenario where I would do it. A true grail and I might pull the trigger as such a piece of art, for me, would be all about owning it and selling would not be on the table. A piece that means that much would be the last to go in a sell off and would likely pass down to my son. No likely, but I could foresee a scenario.