• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Member, Old Collector.

51 posts in this topic

Howdy. My name is Nate and I have been collecting for over twenty-one years. I have about ten thousand books and they range from the Platinum Age (I have a hardback, "Bill Nye's Comic History of the U.S., illustrated by F. Opper, Thompson and Thomas, 1894, 1906) to Modern Age (last months current reads). I have been on CBR Forums (same name, noljoner) about seven months but find the talk about actual collecting to be very minimal. Lots of communal, political, and social, and all the comic talk is fan based, with next to no collecting discussion.

Well, I'm a collector. And since I'm new, I thought I would introduce myself. I hope this is appropriate; if not, someone let me know.

I'm a collector of runs, and I like having complete runs. I also consider myself a low/midgrade collector of the big money keys, a midgrade collector in the runs of Silver, and a mid/high grade in Bronze, and high grade in Copper forward. In that regard, I think I'm fairly normal, but I do see a lot of high grade collectors here.

My major runs:

Daredevil: complete run

Amazing Spider-Man: missing 13 issues, (2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 13, 101, 121, 122, annual 1)

Spectacular Spider-Man: complete, both volumes

Web of Spider-Man: complete

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: complete, but still need a first print #1

Fantastic Four: need about a hundred and fifty. Coming along.

Avengers: need less than a hundred, with nice grades in earliest books as well as Kree Skull War Smith run.

Lesser Runs complete: Spider-Man, Nexus, Usagi Yojimbo (need about ten), Groo (complete, all runs), and a bunch of other stuff.

I have a nice run of Strange Tales, Cap, and other Silver and Copper goodness. Lot's more big books.

My biggest 8 books are:

1. Amazing Spider-Man #1 (4.0)

2. X-Men #1 (3.0)

3. Avengers #1 (3.0)

4. Strange Tales #110 (6.5)

5. Avengers #4 (3.5)

6. Fantastic Four #48 (5.0)

7. Journey Into Mystery #83 (1.8, but looks much better)

8. Daredevil #1 (4.0)

And it's great having all the emoticons. cloud9.gifhi.gif

Thanks, Kiltman, Jim.

I bought a "gorilla" shelf, sold by Sam's wharehouse that houses 30 long boxes and the rest are stored in magazine boxes because I re-read them a lot.

And is there a typical collector on this board, and where do I stack up? Not looking to win, just understand the community.

Thanks, Kiltman, Jim.

I bought a "gorilla" shelf, sold by Sam's wharehouse that houses 30 long boxes and the rest are stored in magazine boxes because I re-read them a lot.

And is there a typical collector on this board, and where do I stack up? Not looking to win, just understand the community.

Woohoo....another completionist....and finally someone else who uses the glorious magazine boxes to store their comics thumbsup2.gif

I'm also a mid-grade collector, an avid completionist and a magazine box junkie...

use the "search" function of the boards and type "completionist"....you'll find a lot of threads about people and their obsessions about getting all comics from a certain title...

This is about 6000 comics stored in magazine boxes, I need to find a way of shooting the whole cabinet and not just 3/4 of the unit

cabinet1.jpg

Thanks, Kiltman, Jim.

Woohoo....another completionist....and finally someone else who uses the glorious magazine boxes to store their comics thumbsup2.gif

I'm also a mid-grade collector, an avid completionist and a magazine box junkie...

use the "search" function of the boards and type "completionist"....you'll find a lot of threads about people and their obsessions about getting all comics from a certain title...

This is about 6000 comics stored in magazine boxes, I need to find a way of shooting the whole cabinet and not just 3/4 of the unit

cabinet1.jpg

You able to store your slabs in those ok?

Thanks, Kiltman, Jim.

In terms of stacking up, I think you have a much wider focus than the majority of people on the boards. Most people who post here tend to focus on one to three eras, plus perhaps still reading Moderns. It is rare that someone here will collect (not to mention read!) all the way from Platinum Age to current books.

Your collection sounds very nice. Welcome! hi.gif Where are you from?

Well I liberate about 90% of the slabs I buy, I have about 50 left which I'm on no hurry to crack open (but I will someday) and they fit perfectly in the boxes...

Well I liberate about 90% of the slabs I buy, I have about 50 left which I'm on no hurry to crack open (but I will someday) and they fit perfectly in the boxes...

Is that direct or indirect sunlight on the spines of your books? 893whatthe.gif

The unit is directly under a sunroof.... wink.gif

Don't worry there's no sunlight ever near the books

I actually need to drag some high beams into my study whenever I want to take some pictures.

The unit is directly under a sunroof.... wink.gif

Don't worry there's no sunlight ever near the books

I actually need to drag some high beams into my study whenever I want to take some pictures.

WHEW!!!! grin.gif

That is an awesome setup, Chrome. I've seen you post those pictures before. It looks superb and makes me jealous. hail.gif

Thanks, everybody.

Chromium,

Nice set up. I'll try to show mine one of these days. I actually am backing off the magazine boxes somewhat, since the runs are easier to get to in long boxes, but my Groo, Nexus, Turtles, And Usagi are all still in magazine boxes as are my unique sets, like "The Masters", boxes devoted to Miller of Moore or Kirby. And of course, magazine boxes are great for limited series and trades.

FFB,

Mississippi.

WHEW!!!! grin.gif

That is an awesome setup, Chrome. I've seen you post those pictures before. It looks superb and makes me jealous. hail.gif

Thanks FBB.....I have no high grade keys to show off, just lots and lots of mid-grade Silver and Bronze, so in order to feel justified I need to show off my setup now and then blush.gif

When I'm off promoting Belgian chocolate and Beer, then you'll know I'm really jealous of some book someone just posted. tongue.gif

I need to take some better pics, the unit is curved and takes ip 1 1/2 walls, but I can never get the entire thing in one shot...plus I made new, better logos for each box, using the original -script that was in the comic's title....