• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should board members start an eBay secret code for our benefit?

57 posts in this topic

Plus there's the kudos thread that allows you to get a better idea of the buyers reliability and trustworthiness.

The kudos thread here only contains positive messages. No negatives are allowed, so everyone looks to be at 100% trustworthiness.

That's no different than eBay buyer feedback today, as only positive feedback is allowed on the purchase side of a transaction.

A buyer on the boards also gives up the protections that come with buying on ebay. We all know ebay is very forgiving on the buying side for refunds. So be default that is also a benefit to the seller. How much that matters to anyone I'm not really sure.

There is also another benefit to the seller in that there isn't much they can do about a terrible buyer on ebay. Here they can out them and make it hard for them to buy. Perhaps increasing the chances of a good transaction.

I'd like to offer two other perspectives here.

My "code" is my nic, the same here as on The Bay.

Secondly, I encountered a situation here that struck me raw. I purposely underpriced a group of crime and horror books, low grade but nevertheless salable merchandise, on this board as a sort of friendly gesture to fellow collectors.

So who snaps them up, but a flipper who immediately listed them on eBay at substantial markups, and who uses a different nic there, vs the one he uses here. Sort of a disincentive to offer a good deal here, wouldn't ya say?

Secondly, I encountered a situation here that struck me raw. I purposely underpriced a group of crime and horror books, low grade but nevertheless salable merchandise, on this board as a sort of friendly gesture to fellow collectors.

So who snaps them up, but a flipper who immediately listed them on eBay at substantial markups, and who uses a different nic there, vs the one he uses here. Sort of a disincentive to offer a good deal here, wouldn't ya say?

Not unless you were specifically selling to collectors with the stipulation of no resale. The boards are about 80% flippers. :shy:

I think it would be beneficial for eBay sellers who are board members to create a secret code. This would allow interested boardies to recognize the seller is on the forum and could be contacted. The seller would save eBay fees and board members might feel a little more secure in purchasing from a board member. What do you guys think?

If a seller wants to save on eBay fees then he should list the items for sale here on the Boards. There's no fees for selling here and he'll be instantly recognized as a board member.

If a seller is using eBay to attract attention to his items - even if it's another Board member - then eBay should get their cut.

eBay handle: Metropolis Comics - Website: Metropolis Comics

eBay handle: MyComicShop - Website: MyComicShop.com

eBay handle: greg_reece_comics - Website: GregReeceComics.com

Need I go on?

My eBay handle is also instantly recognizable as my board member name. I have had a few people PM me over here about things I have listed over there. I see no problem with it.

And again I will say this though. I offer books over here. Most times, no takers as the "prices were too high." I then list them on eBay for 10-20% more and they sell. The latest book I use as an example is a Fantastic Four 45 in a 6.0. I offered it HERE on the boards for $425 on July 4th Weekend. I had a couple of PMs and / or texts and then eventually threw in US shipping. No takers. I deleted the free shipping offer when I closed the thread. I moved it to eBay and it sold for $475 on August 10. GPA Account holders can verify that.

So I do recognize eBay as a very viable machine and have no problem giving them their due. However, if someone knows me here and sees me there. If they contact me HERE and not THERE. I have no problem reducing a book by it's eBay fees.

If this makes me an unethical and terrible human being ... ok

Not unless you were specifically selling to collectors with the stipulation of no resale. The boards are about 80% flippers. :shy:

Oh, NOW you tell me, eh eh! So what happens if that IS stipulated (BTW, I've never seen that condition in any of the sales threads I've read), and the buyer still tries to re-sell? Where are the teeth?

Oh, NOW you tell me, eh eh! So what happens if that IS stipulated (BTW, I've never seen that condition in any of the sales threads I've read), and the buyer still tries to re-sell? Where are the teeth?

There are no teeth - it is a concept you need to rid yourself of. You are basically swimming in a shark tank here - time to recognize it.

I've sat through many a sales thread where my computer is too slow to compete, and watched multiple books bought up by dirty-stinking flipper-dealers.

There are no teeth - it is a concept you need to rid yourself of. You are basically swimming in a shark tank here - time to recognize it.

I've sat through many a sales thread where my computer is too slow to compete, and watched multiple books bought up by dirty-stinking flipper-dealers.

:whee:

even though i rarely buy anymore if i find something on ebay and for some reason know the name on the boards.....i'd rather deal with the person here then through ebay. there is a peice of mind knowing you're dealing with a board member then someone who has a 50/50 shot of being a scammer

honestly if it does happen off ebay and i do/don't get that 10% discount doesn't matter to me (i do like getting it though) i'm after the book, personaly i do like to barter for the book and always try. it's funny but only on ebay will i try to lowball 1st then for the 2nd/3rd attempt i put a more serious amt (as long as the seller is willing to reasonably deal that is)

also speaking for myself i don't look at the selling area often and so might find it on ebay and never see it on the boards

when i'm doing the make offer on ebay i may ask if they are a board member (i never say cgc boards, bc if your on here i rarely see it called cgc boards so if they don't know what i'm talking about then they don't belong)

the problem is people on here at times are afraid to share their ebay id so it's not there is a list (it was tried once and died)

i know mine isn't the same bc of the time difference between my ebay id and board name

dirty-stinking flipper-dealers.

I thought of Charlton Heston in POTA when I read this.

I'm hoping most get my humorous intent here.

Yes, I'm primarily a collector, but I sell duplicates, and eventually I will have to sell my collection.

I do love the Charlton Heston imagery....,