• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #1 Found in Trash-was cgc 2.0 Now on ebay as 4.5?

160 posts in this topic

Just a note to folks buying up all these FF#1 before the movie.

As recommended by you guys, sold the book slabbed as a 2.0 for

$1100. Pretty good deal. No complaints. I did notice The same book unslabbed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32731&item=6524771291&rd=1

(Same stains on cover) by a "respected dealer and grader" as a VG+ 4.5?

Seems fishy to me from a respected seller and collector.

What do you folks think? just wondering.

Booooooo for Harley. boo.gif

Another respected dealer trying to pull a fast one. The only good thing is that he gives big scans some people can make there own mind up. juggle.gif

Would have had no problem if he bumped it up one notch (as clearly CGC books can get a different grade on a different day), but that's WAY TOO MUCH of a BUMP. Christo_pull_hair.gif893whatthe.gif

Just a note to folks buying up all these FF#1 before the movie.

As recommended by you guys, sold the book slabbed as a 2.0 for

$1100. Pretty good deal. No complaints. I did notice The same book unslabbed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32731&item=6524771291&rd=1

(Same stains on cover) by a "respected dealer and grader" as a VG+ 4.5?

Seems fishy to me from a respected seller and collector.

What do you folks think? just wondering.

I think that's kinda scummy for Harley to do that. foreheadslap.gif

I thought he was pulling a fast one too-my partner noted "It's his...If he wants to take it out of the slab and let others decide-thats his business.

I thought since he noted all his professional associations as proof of being an honest and reputable trader-it seemed kinda crappy-

well-tell your friends!

Booooooo for Harley. boo.gif

Another respected dealer trying to pull a fast one. The only good thing is that he gives big scans some people can make there own mind up. juggle.gif

Would have had no problem if he bumped it up one notch (as clearly CGC books can get a different grade on a different day), but that's WAY TOO MUCH of a BUMP. Christo_pull_hair.gif893whatthe.gif

Given the very distinctive water stain patterns on the front and back cover in three places, i think we can assume that lucky has recognized the book correctly.

further, as steve states, there are big scans upon which any prospective buyer can abse their decision.

HOWEVER, given the deep and distinctive stain patterns, i would opine that the entire interior well may be inflicted with those same stains on every page.

IMHO, i cannot see how a professional could possibly call this book a VG+. AND, to possibly be doing so after knowing what CGC thought of the book, only exacerbates the issue.

call me crazy, but i find this to be unprofessional........someone might buy this book and pay 2.5 - 4.0 grade money based on the sellers reputation. There would seem to be little reason to break this book out other than to inflate the grade and try to better the original selling price............. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Actually-there we're NO stains on the interior-at all

I think it was graded cream to off white

now THAT's a big surprise to me given the fact that both covers are so deeply stained in multiple places. (good thing i hedged my statement).

nevertheless, with 6 distinct BIG waterstains among it's other multiple defects, that book ain't no 4.5................. sumo.gif

I find this to be a reminder that even "reputable" dealers often do things extremely ethically questionable all to turn more $ for themselves.

I can't say I'll be buying books from harley anymore, just another dealer to cross off the list, assuming of course, this is true that it's the same book, but it looks that way to me.

My opinion is that it's the same book. Perhaps Harley has a severe disagreement with CGC compared to his grading standards for water stains on a book that is otherwise structurally sound? 2.0 to 4.5 a pretty big jump, however.

My opinion is that it's the same book. Perhaps Harley has a severe disagreement with CGC compared to his grading standards for water stains on a book that is otherwise structurally sound? 2.0 to 4.5 a pretty big jump, however.

It is possible that someone broke it out of the slab and sold it to him at said grade.

confused-smiley-013.gif

It is possible that someone broke it out of the slab and sold it to him at said grade.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Very true, maybe Luckystiff will share who he sold it to originally.

Ok, CGC graded this book a 2.0. A Good. Harley if he bought it raw graded it a VG+.

Basically what you guys are saying is that CGC grades better than Harley.

All this says is that the CGC "army" should be asking that their beloved Overstreet advisors get grading training or ask for CGC standards to be published. And CGC does have published grading standards.

It depends on how the transaction went down:

If the book was bought inside of the slab as a 2.0, breaking it out and selling it as a 4.5 is a huge bump up. Harley is using his reputation and "experience" to say, trust me, I know the grade and this book is a 4.5 -- knowing that if the person gets it slabbed, it will come back a 2.0.

That's not a small disparity in opinion. Most better dealers are usually not that off in the grading unless there's something they missed.

Now, if Harley bought it raw, that's a different story. Then he's entitled to his opinion of course, and it's not deceitful. It doesn't inspire confidence in his grading though -- 2.5 points off -- that's a big loss if you're the customer, buy the book, get it slabbed, and take a several thousand dollar loss.