• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

Bidding has begun for the HA illustration art auction and the E.T. painting has an opening bid of $100,000 and the footnote states "[l]ots bearing estimates and without Consignor Reserve shall open at Auctioneer's discretion (usually 25% to 60% of the low estimate)". I don't usually track fine art auctions so this is the first time I see such a notation but I assume it's commonplace? And it means that if the opening bid is not met before the live session, the auctioneer can take bids as low as $25,000?

Bidding has begun for the HA illustration art auction and the E.T. painting has an opening bid of $100,000 and the footnote states "[l]ots bearing estimates and without Consignor Reserve shall open at Auctioneer's discretion (usually 25% to 60% of the low estimate)". I don't usually track fine art auctions so this is the first time I see such a notation but I assume it's commonplace? And it means that if the opening bid is not met before the live session, the auctioneer can take bids as low as $25,000?

No, it means that the opening bid/de facto reserve has already been set at 25-60% of the low estimate. In this case, $100K (50% of the low estimate). If the opening bid is not met before the live session, the first bid in the live session will have to be $100K or else the lot will pass.

No, it means that the opening bid/de facto reserve has already been set at 25-60% of the low estimate. In this case, $100K (50% of the low estimate). If the opening bid is not met before the live session, the first bid in the live session will have to be $100K or else the lot will pass.

Then why does it also say that reserve, if any, will post on 10/5/2016? Just boiler plate language?

Then why does it also say that reserve, if any, will post on 10/5/2016? Just boiler plate language?

Yes.

Here's my lone SDCC 2016 pick-up - the Enrico De Seta original art for the 1966 spy thriller "OSS 117: Mission to Tokyo". As a huge fan of '60s-era spy series (007, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Mission: Impossible, etc.), this one was right up my alley, and it's a striking example to boot, especially in person. Enjoy!

photo Enrico De Seta OSS 117 A Tokyo Si Muore Movie Poster Painting 1966.jpg

Found an image online of the published poster:

photo Enrico De Seta OSS 117 A Tokyo Si Muore Movie Poster Painting Published 1966.jpg

Mitch Itkowitz has recently updated his CAF to include a couple of movie poster originals that are not currently displayed on his web-site, Graphic Collectibles.

One of these is an Italian one-sheet version for the 1967 (non-Horror) Hammer Films production of 'Viking Queen'.

Worth a look.

Very cool!

As an aside, the Italian title for the film is more alluring...

(I'm no translator but basically):

"OSS 117: In Tokyo, You Die" lol

Outstanding, Gene. (thumbs u

Thanks, gents! As well as those of you who commented on CAF. It's hard to believe that you can get a fully rendered movie poster painting like this for the same price as a third-tier Bronze Age panel page. :ohnoez:

"Never Say Never" James Bond art by Tom Chantrell at £3,750 (likely to have been commissioned for a video sleeve tand may not have been used):

(Sorry, link I had doesn't work . . . just use the search facility on the previous link).

Edited by Terry Doyle

"Never Say Never" James Bond art by Tom Chantrell at £3,750 (likely to have been commissioned for a video sleeve tand may not have been used):

(Sorry, link I had doesn't work . . . just use the search facility on the previous link).

The real question is whether Gene bought it on a hot tip ;)

The real question is whether Gene bought it on a hot tip ;)

:popcorn:

It's hard to believe that you can get a fully rendered movie poster painting like this for the same price as a third-tier Bronze Age panel page. :ohnoez:

Definitely! If I knew then what I know now, I would have ventured into movie poster art a long time ago . . .

Instead of having a Man Cave filled with comic-book art, how about a Cinema Room (sufficing with a large-scale flat-screen TV) adorned with movie poster original paintings? Would look cool and be guaranteed to impress all your friends!

And don't forget to stock up on the popcorn . . .