• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2017 at 10:38 AM, Bronty said:

I love the way the boobs are hanging out over the text lol

Poster art from one of the funniest movies ever make and all you talk about are the hanging boobs........

I like the way you think.

17 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Poster art from one of the funniest movies ever make and all you talk about are the hanging boobs........

I like the way you think.

Brian, wonderful image for an incredibly funny movie I remember seeing at the time of its UK release.  I'm not convinced that your art was ever used for the UK advertising campaign (front-of-house movie poster display) as my country had moved away from the American one-sheet (portrait format) design some time earlier to go for the quad (landscape format) design.

Only two quad designs, likely to have been used in the UK, that I can find are the following (one of these is a re-release of the movie, teamed-up with the Australian sex-comedy Alvin Purple):

1256_l.jpg

blazing-saddles-alvin-purple-original-combo-uk-quad-poster-mel-brooks-74-1954-p.jpg

I should be having an art update towards the end of next week for three more movie poster paintings.

Originally, I was going to limit my selection to 12 originals, but my collecting approach has always been flexible and I thought, "What the heck, I really like this art-form . . ."

Currently, I'm in the process of going the route of shifting some high-end American covers from my collection to help consolidate my early-retirement funds (seeing as the exchange rate is very favourable for me at the moment).  The monthly allowance I've allocated for myself gives me spare cash to pursue more modestly-priced originals.  Fact is, quite a few of these movie poster paintings are very reasonably priced and I can afford them, so why not . . .

Sadly, British veteran poster artist Vic Fair passed away over this past weekend (I did make a short post about this earlier on in the thread).  He was an incredible talent, capable of creating unusual and provocative movie poster designs.

I'd actually enquired after two of Vic Fair originals from his UK agent just shortly before I'd learned of the artist's passing, which was purely co-incidental.

One of the originals I'm expecting is for one of Vic's (highly-finished) concept designs for the controversial 1974 movie, 'The Night Porter'.  The ensuing advertising campaign mostly went the route of photographic imagery, so this particular concept painting was never used.  You'll be able to see the image next week when I post my update . . .

Not movie poster art but used in the movie "The Wall". For those who have money burning a hole in their pocket original pieces from The Wall by Gerald Scarfe are for sale at the San Francisco Art Exchange. If you want to save your money they will be on exhibit in July.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/pink-floyds-wall-paintings-sale-171103682.html

Now added to my CAF gallery, the second of three movie poster painting updates.

Artwork for this one (a British sex-comedy) is by Sam Peffer, whose best known work was for the covers of the paperback James Bond novels published by Pan Books in the 1950s and 1960s, for which he created a consistent and distinctive style.

Here's a link to my CAF Galleries for those of you interested in such things:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Thanks for looking.

Terry Doyle

My third and final movie poster update has now been added to my CAF gallery.

Vic Fair's original conceptual movie poster painting for the 1974 controversial presentation, THE NIGHT PORTER, starring Dirk Bogarde and Charlotte Rampling.

I remember seeing this movie during the time of its release. A strangely compelling tale, but one that ultimately leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Here's a link to my CAF Galleries for those of you interested in such things:

Thanks for looking.

Terry Doyle

Never say never!

Originally, I was planning to limit my selection of Movie poster paintings to about 12 examples but I kept coming across more and more offerings that managed to excite my collecting impulses (at asking prices that don't exactly break the bank), so three more purchases are currently on the horizon for me (bringing the current total to 18, which is kinda neat for a full-page CAF gallery).

Due in tomorrow (assuming the postal services are on time) is a Vic Fair prototype painting for the UK quad poster design of REMO, UNARMED AND DANGEROUS (which I think was called, REMO WILLIAMS; THE ADVENTURE BEGINS, for its USA release in 1978).

The movie was based on THE DESTROYER series of pulp novels and was a disappointment at the box-office, also earning mixed reviews.  It was directed by Guy Hamilton, director of one of the best James Bond movies, GOLDFINGER (1964).

Two images are attached of the realised movie poster campaigns (the quad for the UK market and the one-sheet for the USA).

Vic Fair's prototype, for the UK quad poster release (renamed, REMO, UNARMED AND DANGEROUS) is pretty close to the final version, though I'm not entirely sure if Fair was responsible for the final product.  So, here's what the resulting American and UK posters looked like . . . and I'll be back soon with Vic Fair's prototype painting for you all to compare. . .

remo 1.jpg

remo 2.jpg

Edited by The Voord

2 hours ago, The Voord said:

Due in tomorrow (assuming the postal services are on time) is a Vic Fair prototype painting for the UK quad poster design of REMO, UNARMED AND DANGEROUS (which I think was called, REMO, THE ADVENTURE BEGINS, for its USA release in 1978).

Hey Terry - the film was called "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" in the U.S., and came out in 1985 over here.  Not a great film from what I recall - the poster was more memorable than the movie!

5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Hey Terry - the film was called "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" in the U.S., and came out in 1985 over here.  Not a great film from what I recall - the poster was more memorable than the movie!

Corrected!

58e4ec976cdb1_Remoa.thumb.jpg.91ee1bc095d997f1939202b55cd93b2b.jpgNew in today . . .

Vic Fair prototype quad movie poster design for the UK release of Remo Williams.  Image size is 24” x 18” with movie title, cast and production credits painted directly onto an acetate overlay applied over the main artwork..

Likely to be a rubbish movie, by all accounts, but I always was a sucker for moody cityscapes . . .

“Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, also released as Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous, was a 1985 American action-adventure-thriller film directed by Guy Hamilton. The film featured Fred Ward, Joel Grey, Wilford Brimley and Kate Mulgrew.

The character is based on The Destroyer pulp paperback series. The movie was the only adaptation featuring the character Remo Williams, and fared poorly in theaters. It received mixed reviews from critics, although it did earn Joel Grey a Golden Globe nomination. The film and a Remo Williams television pilot both credited Clark as executive producer. The film was supposed to be the first of a series based on The Destroyer series of novels.

A significant setpiece within the film takes place at the Statue of Liberty, which was surrounded by scaffolding for its restoration during this period.

Sam Makin is a tough Brooklyn, New York City street cop and Vietnam-era Marine Corps veteran. He is unwillingly recruited as an assassin for a secret United States organization, CURE. The recruitment is through a bizarre method: his death is faked and he is given a new face and a new name. Rechristened "Remo Williams" (after the name and location of the manufacturer of the bedpan in Makin's hospital room), his face is surgically altered and he is trained to be a human killing machine by his aged, derisive and impassive Korean martial arts master Chiun.

Though Remo's training is extremely rushed by Chiun's standards, Remo learns such skills as dodging bullets and running on water. Chiun teaches Remo the Korean martial art named "Sinanju". Remo's instruction is interrupted when he is sent by CURE to investigate a corrupt weapons procurement program within the US Army.”

Edited by The Voord

3 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid, it's a great, cheesy 80s B-movie.

A real trip to see this art here, nice pick up (thumbsu

I vaguely remember watching the movie at the time of its release, though I'll no doubt seek it out again in the near-future (sometimes these things improve with age, so who knows?).

The artwork, which is fully-painted, was an absolute steal at £165 (about $205).  Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the asking price!  What the heck can $205 buy you in comic-art???

8 minutes ago, The Voord said:

I vaguely remember watching the movie at the time of its release, though I'll no doubt seek it out again in the near-future (sometimes these things improve with age, so who knows?).

The artwork, which is fully-painted, was an absolute steal at £165 (about $205).  Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the asking price!  What the heck can $205 buy you in comic-art???

Wow on that price. 

And I doubt the movie is any better now than it was then lol

Here's Iron Man in one of his first movies :insane:

Rented Lips movie poster OA with Robert Downey Jr, Jen Tilly, Martin Mull. 

Excuse the poor photo

pPlRKQqp_1411141958121.jpg

New in today . . .

Tom Chantrell's key component artwork for 'The Idol'

"The Idol is a 1966 British drama film directed by Daniel Petrie and starring Jennifer Jones, Michael Parks, Jennifer Hilary and Guy Doleman.

A rebellious student embarks on an affair with the mother of his best friend, leading to disastrous consequences."

Chantrell's artwork was painted in full colour, though some of the resulting movie posters opted for tinted versions.  For example:

58e4ee09add8f_Idol2.jpg.8f5d155403bb7b12a3a1c832fdac204c.jpg

For Chantrells' full-colour original art, and other poster versions, feel free to peruse my CAF update at:

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, SquareChaos said:

Wow on that price. 

And I doubt the movie is any better now than it was then lol

The DVD arrived this morning . . . no great expectations (I just want to see the bit where Remo, "runs on water"!).

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, SquareChaos said:

. . . I doubt the movie is any better now than it was then lol

Just finished watching the movie.  The three Doberman Pinschers stole the show!  Hopefully, since Remo's first and only adventure, he managed to progress from running on wet cement to running on water (just like his Korean mentor)!  Quite watchable and fun in places . . . bit like one of the later seasons of Man from UNCLE when the show had gone the route of camp . . .

I liked the way they changed Remo's appearance and identity by shaving off his moustache!

Edited by The Voord