• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

I guess I'll share a couple movie pieces too.

I don't have a lot of proper movie poster pieces, but I have some home video stuff. Here's the Human Duplicators with Richard Kiel (Jaws for you Bond types):

HumanDuplicators_zpsf254674e.jpg

My favorite pieces really are the cartoon related ones, like this large vintage 1985 thundercats which I just love:

IMG_3278_zpstmfyw7ff.jpg

I can't find it right this minute and have to go but for movie posters proper I get a chuckle out of Rented Lips starring a very young Iron Man (Downey Jr), a very young Jen Tilly, and Martin Mull.

I'll post that original a little later.

I don't have a lot of proper movie poster pieces, but I have some home video stuff. Here's the Human Duplicators with Richard Kiel (Jaws for you Bond types)

Very cool. :applause:

Just saw this article: E.T. Movie Poster OA Expected to Fetch $150,000+

It'll be interesting to watch - hopefully it does well.

Never was a fan of E.T. was expecting a much different movie. Came out at the same time as The Thing, which is one of my favorite films. Would love the original to the Thing, Drew Struzan has it up on his site but last time it had a price was way too high for me.

As far as the Bond posters go, I was always a fan of this one myself. Not the most historic or well known, but such a cool image... even if no ladies in it... ;)

https://paddle8.com/work/frank-mccarthy/88873-thunderball-look-down/

That ET poster is an unabashed icon.

Really curious to see how that plays out. $150K seems hella low to me, so I'm assuming that's to spur interest.

I don't have a lot of proper movie poster pieces, but I have some home video stuff. Here's the Human Duplicators with Richard Kiel (Jaws for you Bond types)

Very cool. :applause:

I saw that as well. I'll have the popcorn out for sure. I can see it doing very well 2c

The article says Bob Bendetson (the owner and not the artist) "picked up the original art direct from Universal Studios decades ago"

You could replace "Universal Studios" with "the Marvel office" and there you go...

I wonder if the John Alvin's heirs are following the auction.

A similar example may be Roger Kastel's art to Jaws. It is a rare (if not the only example) of the same art being featured on the book and movie poster. However, the original Jaws book cover by a different artist had the same composition except the shark and swimmer were more abstract. Apparently Roger IS the owner of the painting but he's not in possession of it. And they do not know where it is.

(thumbs u for Human Duplicators & Nosferatu.

"What Happened to Movie Posters?" by GoodBadFlicks:

Here's a profile of one movie poster featured in the brief video: https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/movie-poster-of-the-week-wes-craven-s-a-nightmare-on-elm-street-and-the-posters-of-matthew-peak

Edited by The Shoveler

Never was a fan of E.T. was expecting a much different movie. Came out at the same time as The Thing, which is one of my favorite films. Would love the original to the Thing, Drew Struzan has it up on his site but last time it had a price was way too high for me.

Struzan removed all prices on his pieces his website awhile back. Previously he had inexplicably raised prices on many pieces by almost double. I think the only vintage pieces I had seen sold on his website in a little under a decade was the First Blood movie poster painting.

Struzan removed all prices on his pieces his website awhile back. Previously he had inexplicably raised prices on many pieces by almost double. I think the only vintage pieces I had seen sold on his website in a little under a decade was the First Blood movie poster painting.

Some of the Struzan album covers are for sale here.

http://originalalbumcoverart.com/

Struzan's prices are a little insane. I finally got a response from what I assume is his agent and the prices start at $90K. $200K for the Muppet paintings and Adventures in Babysitting.

I don't blame him asking a lot for the good stuff. Some of those pieces deserve to be six figures and more. The trouble is, some don't, but I wouldn't be in a rush in his position either.

I don't blame him either, he obviously doesn't want/need the money. He's just not gonna sell much at those prices, and it wouldn't surprise me if the market ever caught up to those valuations that he would raise his prices again to stay above market.

Yeah. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the way his site used to be but he used to list them all with prices and there was a master list with sold dots on maybe 1/3 ? Of the pieces. So... when Josh says one piece sold in 10 years, well, I don't know if that's not updating, or no sales, or what but at some point in time he clearly sold some good pieces.

Since muppets was brought up maybe you find a buyer at 200k for that - those aren't the prices I felt were off so much as stuff like cutthroat island for 125,000. That one, you never find a buyer at that price 2c

Yeah. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the way his site used to be but he used to list them all with prices and there was a master list with sold dots on maybe 1/3 ? Of the pieces. So... when Josh says one piece sold in 10 years, well, I don't know if that's not updating, or no sales, or what but at some point in time he clearly sold some good pieces.

Since muppets was brought up maybe you find a buyer at 200k for that - those aren't the prices I felt were off so much as stuff like cutthroat island for 125,000. That one, you never find a buyer at that price 2c

A good portions of the one's marked as sold were obviously sold many years ago...many obviously to Lucas/Speilberg.