• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about a Weird War Tales #1

31 posts in this topic

I have an opportunity to get a Weird War Tales #1 in VF-NM condition. Is this a very respectable grade for the Bronze Age book?

Should I hold out for a higher grade?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

John

Tough call as they do pop up from time to time. How's the QP? Are there any production creases that you can see as this issue is known to frequently have some? I guess it would also come down to how important it is to your collection. If you are just thinking of flipping it, I would forget it.

Thanks for your insight Jayman-

As far as production creases, I don't see any.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by QP?

It is the last major Bronze Age DC #1 that I need and let me tell you, this but is a pain in the you know what to get at 9 or above. I've been watching for this book for the past year and have seen it come up on EBAY approximately 3 times (2X at CGC 9.2 and 1X at PGX 9.0). The last CGC 9.2 went last week for approximately $488.00! Forget the price of a 9.4 or above if and when they pop up. There is a CGC 9.0 on ComicLink right now--I think the asking price is $325.00 and it has Cream-OW pages.

I have a hunch that this book is going to be the next big Bronze DC Book to really hit the stratosphere. I had this same hunch 4 years ago when I bought my GL 76.

I have no intentions of flipping the book.

Again thanks Jayman.

get it! great price at guide, in my opinion...

i'm very happy to find those in VF, let alone higher !!!

good reading too!!!

i have never seen a 9.4, mainly in the 5.0-7.0 range--and not all that often (in my areas anyway).

I think I'll pick it up.

Does anyone have a copy of WWT #1 at 9.2 or above that they can scan?

I would like to see one at that grade.

Thanks Fellow Forumites!!

John

It's sometimes good to get another opinion before making a decision. Weird War Tales is an interesting book. It is one of the longest DC Bronze Age runs; it is what I call a "synthetic" book for its combining horror and war; has a black cover; the artist is Kubert; and I just don't see much interest among collectors concerning this book.

It has all the ingrediants to be one of the great Bronze Age books, yet no one talks about it. Interesting, is it not?

Sincerely,

John

I think I'll pick it up.

Does anyone have a copy of WWT #1 at 9.2 or above that they can scan?

I would like to see one at that grade.

Thanks Fellow Forumites!!

John

Here's a 9.4

786490-WWT1cgc.JPG

786490-WWT1cgc.JPG.12c1b97c82d2f5cfd5475c8496563a15.JPG

It's sometimes good to get another opinion before making a decision. Weird War Tales is an interesting book. It is one of the longest DC Bronze Age runs; it is what I call a "synthetic" book for its combining horror and war;

I think I'd call it "cross-genre" rather than synthetic, as synthetic implies fake or imitation.

Good luck on picking up the WW # 1! thumbsup2.gif

I had a chance to buy the etire Monterey collection 1-124 of this series all in NM/M white for $125 in 1990. Think I regret that decision? foreheadslap.gif

1990 - happy days, when the Bronze Age collector had no competition as there really wasn't a market for BA then, except for a handful of key Marvels.

So what made you decide against buying this fantastic set??