• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Canadian White Collection Ever Assembled

53 posts in this topic

I think I know who they belong to but I need a couple of days to verify as I heard it was suppose to be Heritage and not Comiclink.

No biggie as I heard that Canada Post was on the verge of going out on strike and these books got lost in the mail and were simply redirected to the wrong auction house by mistake during all of this kerfuffle and confusion. :gossip::cloud9:

I have tracking bids on them all. I don't believe this was the best collection out there but it is very impressive. These books just don't come up for sale often.

The Better Comics group that you sold a couple of years ago is better than this.......

I have tracking bids on them all. I don't believe this was the best collection out there but it is very impressive. These books just don't come up for sale often.

The Better Comics group that you sold a couple of years ago is better than this.......

in a museum now,no?

was far better.

Very high grade books compared to these.

What do Canadian White collectors think of the prices being realized? They seem pretty reasonable for such scarce books in fairly nice shape, at least the ones I was tracking, especially compared to the insane prices those beater copies of many Canadian Whites got at auction a couple years ago.

was far better.

If I recall the better 1 from that collection graded a 7.0. Same kinda grade as here. Besides at the risk of stating the obvious, as awesome as Dave's books were, six books doesn't compare to 300.

Also, I can only speak for myself, but when I see these books I don't see mid grade, I see high grade. 8.0 and up is generally a pipe dream. 6.0 and up is what I consider, at least for myself, to be the start of high grade on these, similar to what you see on precode horror and such.

Remember, these books were in almost zero pedigree collections. Rockford had a few and Vancouver had a few. No Church, no Allentown, no... fill in the blank. A 'very good' condition copy is... a very good copy!

I suspect what would have been the only real pedigree collection of this stuff is the Bell publisher files that were donated to a museum decades ago. Unfortunately, that does not help the private collector any.

What do Canadian White collectors think of the prices being realized? They seem pretty reasonable for such scarce books in fairly nice shape, at least the ones I was tracking, especially compared to the insane prices those beater copies of many Canadian Whites got at auction a couple years ago.

I think we are seeing, both in the past auctions, and the current ones, that condition doesn't matter so much.

Not unlike the A-Man 26 where a 3.0 blue sold less than a low grade restored did before, when they are this scarce, people just want a copy and they will pay up even for low grade but not pay the normal amount of multipliers for higher grade.

was far better.

If I recall the better 1 from that collection graded a 7.0. Same kinda grade as here. Besides at the risk of stating the obvious, as awesome as Dave's books were, six books doesn't compare to 300.

Also, I can only speak for myself, but when I see these books I don't see mid grade, I see high grade. 8.0 and up is generally a pipe dream. 6.0 and up is what I consider, at least for myself, to be the start of high grade on these, similar to what you see on precode horror and such.

Remember, these books were in almost zero pedigree collections. Rockford had a few and Vancouver had a few. No Church, no Allentown, no... fill in the blank. A 'very good' condition copy is... a very good copy!

I suspect what would have been the only real pedigree collection of this stuff is the Bell publisher files that were donated to a museum decades ago. Unfortunately, that does not help the private collector any.

Consider the #1 was the "worst" condition of the lot, the rest being 8.0 or better grades.

While six books doesn't compare to 300 in quantity, the grades were fantastic, and that is what Kimik and I are referring to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there were any Whites in the Nova Scotia Pedigree either.

hehe, you're on the ball :foryou: I didn't mention Nova Scotia because I wasn't 100% sure, but I think you're right.

I can say this much, I've only ever seen Rockfords and Vancouvers, nothing else, out of all the dozens of pedigrees out there... and even then they were just a very small part of the total list of the books in those two pedigrees.

I'm not an expert on GA pedigrees to the same extent as certain others here, but still. Never seen or heard of any others.

From the description of the Nova Scotia pedigree however, it would not contain books of this era , (1941-1946), or at least not many:

There are two distinct portions that make up the Nova Scotia Collection. The first consists of mostly DC Golden Age from the late '30s to the early '40s. There are only around 70 issues in this portion, but they represent the best of the collection, as they contain the highest overall grades and best page quality. Included are such keys as Batman #1, Detective #31, #33, #35 and #38, and Superman #1-#3.

The second part of the collection is over 1900 comics dating from the early '50s to the late '60s. These copies are lower in grade (averaging VF) and exhibit lesser page quality than their earlier counterparts. Both sections were found together in the estate, but the varied periods and quality of the comics suggest they may have been acquired by different collectors within the same household, similar to the Big Apple pedigree.

I've read that synopsis of the NS Pedigree on the pedigrees website many times and it still perplexes me that the collection was where it was. I've done a bit of research into the pedigree and it came out of a house in Pictou County in the early 1990s, which is strange considering that most comic collections from the era that have come out of the woodwork in the province are almost always from Halifax or the province's South Shore. The auction house was a company called Pidgeon Auctions, which still exists and boasts about the collection on its website. Despite some petty dabbling, I have not been able to find out who the original owner(s) of the collection were.

What has always bothered me about the NS Pedigree is the large gap in years. The idea that the collection was actually collected by multiple people in the same household makes sense and this is the dominant theory. It is certainly possible that whoever collected the comics in the late-30s/early-40s was sent off to fight in WWII, which is probably the best explanation for the gap.

However, I have often wondered if there are NS Pedigree books out there from the gap years that ended up somewhere else. I like that idea more than the possibility that the collector went off to war (likely) or hated Canadian comics and stopped collecting altogether. There probably aren't any other books from the pedigree out there waiting to be found, but it's got to be more likely than the Oak Island Treasure (that's not saying much!)

I've read that synopsis of the NS Pedigree on the pedigrees website many times and it still perplexes me that the collection was where it was. I've done a bit of research into the pedigree and it came out of a house in Pictou County in the early 1990s, which is strange considering that most comic collections from the era that have come out of the woodwork in the province are almost always from Halifax or the province's South Shore. The auction house was a company called Pidgeon Auctions, which still exists and boasts about the collection on its website. Despite some petty dabbling, I have not been able to find out who the original owner(s) of the collection were.

What has always bothered me about the NS Pedigree is the large gap in years. The idea that the collection was actually collected by multiple people in the same household makes sense and this is the dominant theory. It is certainly possible that whoever collected the comics in the late-30s/early-40s was sent off to fight in WWII, which is probably the best explanation for the gap.

However, I have often wondered if there are NS Pedigree books out there from the gap years that ended up somewhere else. I like that idea more than the possibility that the collector went off to war (likely) or hated Canadian comics and stopped collecting altogether. There probably aren't any other books from the pedigree out there waiting to be found, but it's got to be more likely than the Oak Island Treasure (that's not saying much!)

I have to admit, I was wondering about that too, but I just don't know. Certainly its not hard to understand why there are no US books from 1941-1946 in the collection, anyways. The rest we are left to guess I suppose. Either some Cdn collector scooped up the 1941-1946 books, or they just weren't there.

But if there were originally Cdn books in the collection, I would have expected those 1900 US books to cover the mid/late 40s to late 60s, not just early 50s to late 60s.

I.e. either explanation leaves us with a gap in the timeline. So many questions :ohnoez:

Boom...won this one :cloud9:

VICTORY

ROCK THUNDER....1st Canadian Costumed superhero rendered by Ted Steele

This hero preceeded Nelvana, Johnny Canuck, Freelance, Thunderfist, et al

The only hero that preceeded Rock Thunder was the Iron Man in Better Comics of March 1941 and he was not costumed

notice the Canadian Ace Hi Action in the title

RAD84099201669_16116_zpskdc8zrz3.jpg

now look at the Speed Savage One-Shot with the cover rendered by Ted Steele

Canadian Ace of Action

RADA23A3201661_132050_zpso0lgzdsa.jpg