• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Canadian White Collection Ever Assembled

53 posts in this topic

I have tracking bids on them all. I don't believe this was the best collection out there but it is very impressive. These books just don't come up for sale often.

The Better Comics group that you sold a couple of years ago is better than this.......

was far better.

Very high grade books compared to these.

If I recall the better 1 from that collection graded a 7.0. Same kinda grade as here. Besides at the risk of stating the obvious, as awesome as Dave's books were, six books doesn't compare to 300.

Also, I can only speak for myself, but when I see these books I don't see mid grade, I see high grade. 8.0 and up is generally a pipe dream. 6.0 and up is what I consider, at least for myself, to be the start of high grade on these, similar to what you see on precode horror and such.

Remember, these books were in almost zero pedigree collections. Rockford had a few and Vancouver had a few. No Church, no Allentown, no... fill in the blank. A 'very good' condition copy is... a very good copy!

I suspect what would have been the only real pedigree collection of this stuff is the Bell publisher files that were donated to a museum decades ago. Unfortunately, that does not help the private collector any.

Agreed, the Betters were lovely but can't hold a candle to what's selling on Comiclink.

And when books are this rare and this rare in nice grade a fine is high grade. It's all in comparison to what actually exists. It's really rather jaw dropping to think about just how rare and historic these books are.

I have tracking bids on them all. I don't believe this was the best collection out there but it is very impressive. These books just don't come up for sale often.

The Better Comics group that you sold a couple of years ago is better than this.......

was far better.

If I recall the better 1 from that collection graded a 7.0. Same kinda grade as here. Besides at the risk of stating the obvious, as awesome as Dave's books were, six books doesn't compare to 300.

Also, I can only speak for myself, but when I see these books I don't see mid grade, I see high grade. 8.0 and up is generally a pipe dream. 6.0 and up is what I consider, at least for myself, to be the start of high grade on these, similar to what you see on precode horror and such.

Remember, these books were in almost zero pedigree collections. Rockford had a few and Vancouver had a few. No Church, no Allentown, no... fill in the blank. A 'very good' condition copy is... a very good copy!

I suspect what would have been the only real pedigree collection of this stuff is the Bell publisher files that were donated to a museum decades ago. Unfortunately, that does not help the private collector any.

Agreed, the Betters were lovely but can't hold a candle to what's selling on Comiclink.

And when books are this rare and this rare in nice grade a fine is high grade. It's all in comparison to what actually exists. It's really rather jaw dropping to think about just how rare and historic these books are.

Tell you what - obviously I'd never seen any copy of the vast majority of these books. And as a collector of Golden Age, if I'd been in a position to acquire some (I can't bid in our auctions) I'd crack those buggers out of the cases PDQ. Just too cool to only be able to see the covers!

was far better.

Tell you what - obviously I'd never seen any copy of the vast majority of these books. And as a collector of Golden Age, if I'd been in a position to acquire some (I can't bid in our auctions) I'd crack those buggers out of the cases PDQ. Just too cool to only be able to see the covers!

Yes, the interiors on the early issues are pretty cool. They're just so different from US GA

commando%209cgc.jpeg

Coming up in the November Auction.

The beauty of GA grading - detached centerfolds do not matter as much, just like glue and other issues that would otherwise get nailed on SA or newer books......

Well, I hear you on the glue, 100%, but I also understand not docking too much for loose centrefolds. They are thick and single staple so the CFs pop out really easy and it just relates to the way they were made much like production creases or off centering on BA and SA . The way cgc handles loose cf's on GA doesn't personally bother me, esp on single staple books

commando%209cgc.jpeg

Coming up in the November Auction.

The beauty of GA grading - detached centerfolds do not matter as much, just like glue and other issues that would otherwise get nailed on SA or newer books......

Actually the centerfold did bring it down. When I got that book, it was unread, just beautiful. The detached cf was a production issue, the prong wasn't long enough. Otherwise this would be 9.2/9.4.

That Victory looks pretty nice in the top left corner. I'm glad that it ended up in your collection.

I'm curious, Stephen. I suspect you have all of the key books from the WECA period (minus Robin Hood # 1). That said, (and monetary value aside), which book is your favourite?

That Victory looks pretty nice in the top left corner. I'm glad that it ended up in your collection.

I'm curious, Stephen. I suspect you have all of the key books from the WECA period (minus Robin Hood # 1). That said, (and monetary value aside), which book is your favourite?

Triumph-Adventure Comics # 2 with the iconic first Nelvana cover. This book resonates with me and would be the last book standing if I was to divest. (thumbs u