• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20 Top Silver-Age Marvel Books

47 posts in this topic

Oh, and regarding FF #12 being the first CROSSOVER, didn't Spidey #1 come out the same month. Therefore, those who want the first CROSSOVER included, I'll use ASM #1 for that

Technically, FF # 12 appeared on the newstands several weeks before Amazing Spider-Man # 1, so I believe it is the bonafide 1st Marvel cross-over.

Actually, depending on how you want to define X-Over, neither FF # 12 or ASM # 1 are the first, but that's a seperate debate.

Are you counting FF 4? smirk.gif

I was actually thinking along the lines of a Strange Tales # 102...a cross-over appearance by the Invisible Girl in a title not her own.

893whatthe.gif

ST 101, 102, and 110 are the only Silver Age FF books I've never owned or read.

Well I've never owned a FF 2 as well, but I have a reprint.

tonofbricks.gif

Oh, and regarding FF #12 being the first CROSSOVER, didn't Spidey #1 come out the same month. Therefore, those who want the first CROSSOVER included, I'll use ASM #1 for that

Technically, FF # 12 appeared on the newstands several weeks before Amazing Spider-Man # 1, so I believe it is the bonafide 1st Marvel cross-over.

Actually, depending on how you want to define X-Over, neither FF # 12 or ASM # 1 are the first, but that's a seperate debate.

I was actually thinking along the lines of a Strange Tales # 102...a cross-over appearance by the Invisible Girl in a title not her own.

i'd never heard that particular reference before and find it rather intriguing - i suppose the question is whether it should be considered a cross-over or a cameo, since she didn't make the cover and i don't think she's featured in the story beyond an appearance.

can't check it out as my copy is slabbed and there are no early Torch ST issues of Marvel Masterworks........... frown.gif

i'd never heard that particular reference before and find it rather intriguing - i suppose the question is whether it should be considered a cross-over or a cameo, since she didn't make the cover and i don't think she's featured in the story beyond an appearance.

can't check it out as my copy is slabbed and there are no early Torch ST issues of Marvel Masterworks........... frown.gif

If memory serves, she is instrumental in defeating the Wizard in the story..so it's not a simple one panel cameo.

Most folks would argue that it isn't a true cross-over, in the sense that two characters from completely seperate titles converge in one. That's true.

Her appearance isn't promoted on the cover, and it's not like it's an extraordinary stretch for the Torch's sister to appear in his spin-off mag, but I think it qualifies as an interesting piece of Marvel lore and a precursor to the great cross-overs of Marvel characters that were soon to come.

If memory serves, she is instrumental in defeating the Wizard in the story..so it's not a simple one panel cameo.

Most folks would argue that it isn't a true cross-over, in the sense that two characters from completely seperate titles converge in one. That's true.

Her appearance isn't promoted on the cover, and it's not like it's an extraordinary stretch for the Torch's sister to appear in his spin-off mag, but I think it qualifies as an interesting piece of Marvel lore and a precursor to the great cross-overs of Marvel characters that were soon to come.

Her appearance isn't promoted on the cover because it was a surprise element to defeat the Wizard. Her apperance is definitely more than a cameo, although technically, I thinkk she only appears in a few panels.

That said, I agree that this is not a cross-over, since both the Torch and the Invisible Girl are from the same book.

Her appearance isn't promoted on the cover because it was a surprise element to defeat the Wizard. Her apperance is definitely more than a cameo, although technically, I thinkk she only appears in a few panels.

That said, I agree that this is not a cross-over, since both the Torch and the Invisible Girl are from the same book.

well, this new info makes it all a bit more intriguing. is this any less of a crossover than ST# 106 or 108??

i'm gonna have to go check out Old Guys guide to Marvel Crossovers for some expert advice................. grin.gif