• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creepy Crawlies!

25 posts in this topic

That's obscene pun-ography, guys! sign-funnypost.gif

The little sidebar pictures on Atlas covers were totally made up by the artist. All Stan Lee gave them was the text and they had to think up some image to illustrate it without knowing anything about the story.

I have more, but Pov has already made chase down all those wolfie covers that I'm too tired to find 'em. This was previously posted.

786331-WebMys8sm.jpg

786331-WebMys8sm.jpg.e2830d18c758007146ad1de377e57ff8.jpg

I have more, but Pov has already made chase down all those wolfie covers that I'm too tired to find 'em. This was previously posted.

786331-WebMys8sm.jpg

Did'nt realize there were so many covers with the same "human caught in a spider-web image". Needless to say, a pretty eye-catching and classic cover image.

Was the Suspense Comics #8 the original for this image concept or did it show up on an even earlier comic book cover?

Did'nt realize there were so many covers with the same "human caught in a spider-web image". Needless to say, a pretty eye-catching and classic cover image.

Was the Suspense Comics #8 the original for this image concept or did it show up on an even earlier comic book cover?

"There is nothing new under the sun."

Here's a steal, uh link to GCD for a Planet 19 from 1942. But even earlier than this you had pulp covers. The Spider pulps, naturally, would feature people trapped in webs, but there are others.

In the horror genre there are quite a few themes that you see repeated such as the obvious mummy, vampire, werewolf but also rats, spiders, skeletons etc. I guess these are fairly universal fears or unpleasant creatures.

162_4_19.jpg

I recently posted this on another thread but it fits pretty nice here.

oos10.jpg

It fits perfectly. Thanks for posting! thumbsup2.gif

Looks like you're able to reduce the size of the scans.

gossip.gif I didn't mind them when they were big but I guess that depends on the size of you monitor. I think you are safe if you make them a little bigger than this one.

He's not very crawly, but definitely creepy!

There is a story to match the cover and it describes a villain disguised as a spider who uses nets to ensare his victims -- until he meets up with the Lemondrop kid.

788000-BobbyBenson4.jpg

788000-BobbyBenson4.jpg.519943622e44b011328999c88a145f3a.jpg

Witchcraft-3(Nothford)-550.jpg

wanted33.jpg

How about a little title change pow? Maybe "people caught in spider-web" covers or something

Waiting for good scans of Suspense 8 and Startling Terror 11...

Man... that Witchcraft #3 is a stunner. Love that cover. thumbsup2.gif

And Pov.. sorry if this has been said 100 times before. But did Neal Adams rip off that skull head/spider from Adventures Into the Unknown #33 , for his BA WH #13 classic cover?

They sure look an awful lot alike.

Ze-

( gossip.gif..this is my first GA post ever. I am doomed...)

Man... that Witchcraft #3 is a stunner. Love that cover. thumbsup2.gif

And Pov.. sorry if this has been said 100 times before. But did Neal Adams rip off that skull head/spider from Adventures Into the Unknown #33 , for his BA WH #13 classic cover?

They sure look an awful lot alike.

Ze-

( gossip.gif..this is my first GA post ever. I am doomed...)

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

acg-dc-spidy.jpg

I think this arachnid thread needs Joe Maneely to untangle a sticky mess! This was the last issue of this title that I acquired to complete the run, and I had to settle for a lower grade copy; note the horizontal crease across the middle of the book. Judging from my experience, this is a TOUGH issue to find...PERIOD!

ait15.jpg

Povertyrow - Thanks for the kind words. As you might surmise from my posts, I have an abiding affection for Atlas books in general, and Everrett in particular. I've also been known to break a sweat over Wolverton, Heath and Ditko, to name just a few.

I have been collecting long enough to wax nostalgic this time of year, and fondly recall when the Chicago ComiCon provided me the opportunity, once a year, to add a pile of books, maybe a foot deep, to my collection for $1k or so, with the majority being mid-to-high grade Atlas books.

The first Chicago Con I attended was held in the Pick-Congress Hotel, and the cost of my pile was substantially less.

Ah! the good old days!

mt119.jpg

Hey Atlas! It is a pleasure meeting you. Back in the 80's and early 90's I was not only a pre-code nut but also an Atlas nut and had most of their precode horror sci-fi outout. Long gone now and now am reclaiming old times. But dang the prices are ridiculous. Hoping to find some deals at San Diego Con next week. Regardless I will give a pre-code horror report upon my return.

I have to say, Atlas had some of the absolute best covers in pre-code. Often the stories were tame by comparison but those covers? Thinks of beauty!