• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my key golden age collection

42 posts in this topic

You should die a horrible, horrible death for selling your Action # 1

Fuelometer! I can think of many things I have done in my life that would be more deserving of a horrible death than my selling an Action #1. But I have reformed! crazy.gif

Fuelometer! I can think of many things I have done in my life that would be more deserving of a horrible death than my selling an Action #1.

You've sold two action #1s? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Boyo, I sure am given POV a rought nite. All in good fun! grin.gif

Fuelometer! I can think of many things I have done in my life that would be more deserving of a horrible death than my selling an Action #1. But I have reformed! crazy.gif

Reformed!!!... look at you now...buying ::::gulp::: Bronze Age Horror krap ... frown.giftongue.gif

Reformed!!!... look at you now...buying ::::gulp::: Bronze Age Horror krap ... frown.giftongue.gif

Yeah, I know. What to do? It is the well known "SoldAnActionOneItisReaction". What to do? I am natures plaything! frown.gif

my dream?/

the church copy!! if its totally unrestored.....i know everyone on this board thinks its unrestored,,but no dealer or collector has ever blue lighted it before,so no one on this board can tell me if its unrestored or not.......so,so many mile high keys have glue and color touch that theres a reasonible chance that action 1 has it too.

now a bunch of guys will come on and hit me with,,they know its unrestored and i say thats a bunch of x?/2.........that book hasnt been seen in 20 years plus and no one has ever blue lighted it before,,i understand that stephen .f. may have seen it,but i dought he went by invite from the dentist with a blue light in his hands,,wouldnt you agRee?

my dream?/

the church copy!! if its totally unrestored.....i know everyone on this board thinks its unrestored,,but no dealer or collector has ever blue lighted it before,so no one on this board can tell me if its unrestored or not.......so,so many mile high keys have glue and color touch that theres a reasonible chance that action 1 has it too.

now a bunch of guys will come on and hit me with,,they know its unrestored and i say thats a bunch of x?/2.........that book hasnt been seen in 20 years plus and no one has ever blue lighted it before,,i understand that stephen .f. may have seen it,but i dought he went by invite from the dentist with a blue light in his hands,,wouldnt you agRee?

Someone who knows what he's looking for doesn't need a blacklight to detect restoration. If you know what you're looking for you can see it without the blacklight. Also, not everything flouresces under blacklight (and many things that once flouresced will flouresce less with the passage of time), so if you're relying exclusively on blacklight for resto detection you're going to miss a lot of stuff.

im relying for blacklight to see what you and i cant......and again,i respectfully disagree...it has spoted many times what i could not see..and when im buying a book off the shelf,,i dont know what im going to find[[that is the point]...you said when someone knows what there looking for......predominantley that is not the situation..

have a nice evening

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

15042008021o.jpg

How's the view from your glass house there, ArAich? tongue.gif

how does that silly book appear in a therad about a collection of key GA books?

and how does it get slabbed, for that matter???

It's ArAich's most recent acquisition from Heritage. And he was berating Pov for buying BA horror.

893naughty-thumb.gif

how does that silly book appear in a therad about a collection of key GA books?

and how does it get slabbed, for that matter???

It's ArAich's most recent acquisition from Heritage. And he was berating Pov for buying BA horror.

893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif ..but it's from "The Collection of Chris Bell"... headbang.gif

im relying for blacklight to see what you and i cant......and again,i respectfully disagree...it has spoted many times what i could not see..and when im buying a book off the shelf,,i dont know what im going to find[[that is the point]...you said when someone knows what there looking for......predominantley that is not the situation..

have a nice evening

Be that as it may, my point was that just because you put the Church Action #1 or any other book under a blacklight doesn't necessarily mean that you've answered the question of whether it has been restored. A properly cleaned book is not going to give signs of cleaning just because you flash a blacklight on it -- the volatile organic solvents used to clean it will vaporize within minutes without leaving any trace behind. Certain kinds of color touch don't show up under UV (and certain kinds do). Glue, paste, and infilling usually does. Pressing obviously won't show up under UV. Neither does trimming.

My point is that a UV blacklight is not a panacea for undisclosed restoration and a "blacklight clean bill of health" does not mean that a book isn't restored.

My point is that a UV blacklight is not a panacea for undisclosed restoration and a "blacklight clean bill of health" does not mean that a book isn't restored.

I agree. And black light will show all manner of intriquing things that can be misinterpeted as color touch when they are anything from a stray stain to stray foreign matter. One had to practice, practice and practice. Ideally black light is either a confirmation of what the eye has already seen or a tool to target the eye to suspicious areas missed by ocular study (if I may paraphrase Poe).

I agree. And black light will show all manner of intriquing things that can be misinterpeted as color touch when they are anything from a stray stain to stray foreign matter. One had to practice, practice and practice. Ideally black light is either a confirmation of what the eye has already seen or a tool to target the eye to suspicious areas missed by ocular study (if I may paraphrase Poe).

POV, you are correct as per usual. I used to rely on a blacklight to determine if a book had restoration. Once, a spot glowed on a book and I assumed that it was colour-touched even though I didn't see anything with the naked eye. After a few years, I finally sent the book in to get the "restoration" removed but was advised that there was none. The book was forwarded to CGC which concurred.

Also, Steve B. told me that they only use the blacklight at CGC to confirm some suspicious areas. Most of their detection is done solely with their naked eyes! popcorn.gif