• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadrochs buy and sell service.

26 posts in this topic

Sorry shadroch, you can dress this up all you like, but KPR pretty much nailed it in showing that your service is essentially predatory lending. As a fellow capitalist I'm not going to dog you for offering it, since it's both legal and an industry that continues to thrive, but sadly the most desperate collectors are probably the only ones that will use it.

Not that anyone would care about my opinion, but I don't think it seems too bad.

Its a very specific service for a very specific person in a very specific circumstance. Comics are relatively fluid, so this type of 'loan' is VERY avoidable for nearly anyone who thinks its not right for them. Don't want 30% on the dollar? You could probably post most valuable comics here and sell them for 65-70 cents on the dollar immediately, 24hrs or less. But then you don't have the certainty of being able to buy it back in a few months at a reasonable price, especially if that specific copy means something to you and/or the book is pretty rare. Like I've said (and Shadroch too), its expensive, and its not for everyone, but it may be for someone.

What I would be concerned with are people going through a divorce or bankruptcy who 'sell' their books to Shadroch for the purpose of liquidating their assets (so as not to split them with spouses or debtors), then 'buying' them back after the divorce is final. Of course its the responsibility of the divorcer or bankruptee to report assets (including the contract for the 'buyback' option), but if I wouldn't want to keep getting my records subpoenaed by the courts or dragged in to testify. I don't know how often that might happen, but its something I'd think about, though probably something already thought about by Shadroch

Sorry shadroch, you can dress this up all you like, but KPR pretty much nailed it in showing that your service is essentially predatory lending. As a fellow capitalist I'm not going to dog you for offering it, since it's both legal and an industry that continues to thrive, but sadly the most desperate collectors are probably the only ones that will use it.

That's the only people that might use it. If most people have an unexpected expense, they have a rainy day fund or credit cards. Some folks have neither and are comic rich but cash poor.Rather than sell their books, this provides them an alternative. It is and should be a last resort.

It worked tried out well for the people who needed it when I was in NY and is there if someone needs it now.

Once again, - If anyone here wants to offer a similar service at less expense, go for it.