• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade revealed: JIM 83

14 posts in this topic

I picked this up from new boardie Deezy21. He found a nice OO collection and this was the only comic he was willing to part with. It was posted on this thread a couple weeks ago, but I thought I'd repost with new photos.

The colors REALLY pop on the cover and the gloss looks fantastic. Cover and cf are firmly attached. Spine is really nice. 1/4" split at the top. Water stain on back cover (does not touch the interior pages). Hint of a water stain on the front cover at the top. The lower left corner of the back cover has a slight sun shadow.

SO many JIM83s were originally trimmed right at the "83" box, so I like that there is a good 1/8" margin on the right side of the comic.

P1110887.JPG

P1110888.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

if there's bad water damage interior pages also: 4.5 post press.

If the interior doesn't have any then 5.5 post press.

Either way, I'm sure we will see it in a slab soon.

There is no water damage to the interior whatsoever.

I would be ecstatic to get a 5.5. It certainly looks at least that nice from the front.

3.5-4.0

+1

In the contest last month there was a single book [showcase 35] with the same water stain on back/front, and I guessed 4.0 (I'd kept guessing low prior to the round so I increased my guess from 3.5 to 4.)

Turned out CGC graded it 3.5, and most contestants got it right at 3.5. Which is usually what books with such a waterstain end up grading out at.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9513336&Board=50&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

Although 1) we don't know whether interior of the Showcase 35 had stained pages, and whether CGC will give higher than 3.5 if interior is clean like this Thor, and 2) such a key book as Thor's intro. might earn a "key bump".

3.5-4.0

+1

In the contest last month there was a single book [showcase 35] with the same water stain on back/front, and I guessed 4.0 (I'd kept guessing low prior to the round so I increased my guess from 3.5 to 4.)

Turned out CGC graded it 3.5, and most contestants got it right at 3.5. Which is usually what books with such a waterstain end up grading out at.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9513336&Board=50&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

Although 1) we don't know whether interior of the Showcase 35 had stained pages, and whether CGC will give higher than 3.5 if interior is clean like this Thor, and 2) such a key book as Thor's intro. might earn a "key bump".

Thanks for that link. When I compare that book to mine I believe mine is much nicer, however it does give me perspective about how much CGC slams waterstains. I'm now thinking 4.5 for my comic, but shouldn't be surprised at 4.0. I know for a fact that 3.5 would be much to low. You simply can't hold this JIM83 in your hands and think 3.5, it's simply too nice of a comic.

You simply can't hold this JIM83 in your hands and think 3.5, it's simply too nice of a comic.

That makes a big difference, I agree completely.

Before CGC the 'overall eye appeal' was basically the grade (absent a major crease or something). I think since collectors still regard eye appeal as very important CGC can't help but incorporate those standards beyond just counting ticks and applying rules.