• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why isnt there a platinum age comics thread?

31 posts in this topic

Got them for around the price they are worth. if they fit into slabs i'll get em done and sell all but one. i asked this in another forum but i may aswell ask here too. Do CGC slab comics sized at 10.5" x 7.5"? Ifnot then i'll be re-selling these to make a small profit i hope.

Im not sure if they are listed in overstreet or gerber. I just went for it on this one and then afterwards checked everything out. Each comics goes on avergae for around 8 to 9 $'s so i didnt make a loss. It depends on how much they go for again i guess.

They mix it up with Golden Age.

If they had a seperate Platinium Age forum Pov would be lonely posting to himself in there.

He's the only one old enough to have bought those off the rack!

blush.gif

If they had a seperate Platinium Age forum Pov would be lonely posting to himself in there.

blush.gif

well i can officially post there now! Maybe he can give me a bit more info on these Magnet comics. Billy Bunter. If you read this POV some info would be much appreciated!

These editions are from 1914. That would make POV older than me grandad gossip.gif

blush.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

blush.gif

well i can officially post there now! Maybe he can give me a bit more info on these Magnet comics. Billy Bunter. If you read this POV some info would be much appreciated!

These editions are from 1914. That would make POV older than me grandad gossip.gif

Easy lad,

Me gran had me over her knee plenty for nicking soda bottles

to buy funnies.

Some of us are old. But young at heart.

893naughty-thumb.gif

blush.gif

Easy lad,

Me gran had me over her knee plenty for nicking soda bottles

to buy funnies.

Some of us are old. But young at heart.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Exactly like my grandad then! He used to steal bottles of pop from the cupboard, drink it or drain it and get money for it to buy whatever comic he wanted at the time. He has some crackin stories cloud9.gif

Im not sure if they are listed in overstreet or gerber. I just went for it on this one and then afterwards checked everything out. Each comics goes on avergae for around 8 to 9 $'s so i didnt make a loss. It depends on how much they go for again i guess.

They aren't listed in OS or Gerber, because they're British comics that are historically and culturally exclusive from U.S. ones (certain British comics are listed in Overstreet because of their connection and obvious similarity to their U.S. counterparts, such as MiracleMan and Captain Britain - these two titles were reprinted by U.S. publishers anyway).

Technically speaking, therefore, they ain't really Platinum Age as they are not precursors or progenitors of the Golden Age of comics that occurred in the U.S. At all.

What's remarkable is how the character of Billy Bunter and nostalgia for this ancient title should remain so strong, yet the books should still be so cheap, even in the U.K. (there's never been any crossover appeal whatsoever in the U.S. for this title). It all boils down most obviously to supply and demand - they aren't as treasured as comics (that only featured strips, mind) such as Beano 1, Dandy 1 or Magic 1, etc.

Ahh cheers for the info Goldust. That helps answer alot of questions smile.gif

Well if they arnt classed as platinum/golden age comics what would they be? Old british age? confused-smiley-013.gif

I doubt there will ever be crossover i suppose, i mean from what i can gather the stories surround an english schoolboy?

Im looking to get a couple slabbed for keepsakes and shift the rest onwards but am a bit unsure as these comics differs from the size of american ones, so i emailed gemma asking if cgc slabbed 10.5" by 7.5" comics.. I won a second batch of the same series from the 30's for 99p. cloud9.gif

Billy Bunter was a grotesque English public schoolboy character that was from a very different milieu to anything that existed in America - I suppose his closest equivalent (and it's pretty tenuous) would be Ogden Whitney's Herbie. He is one of the few Edwardian characters that transcended his era.

As for the era that Magnet was in its' pomp, I'd stick with Edwardian onwards - there were Victorian British comics, or rather magazines that featured comic strips such as Scraps and Illustrated Chips, and the early ones are rare.

Curiously the Comic Book Price Guide For Great Britain (McCalpine, last published 8 years ago) doesn't list Magnet. Ironically the Golden Age for British comics (Beano, Dandy, Magic, etc.) does roughly coincide with the U.S. GA, as these titles (two of which are still going strong) began in 1939 / 40.

blush.gif

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gifsign-funnypost.gif

And it's true too !!!!

blush.gif

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gifsign-funnypost.gif

And it's true too !!!!

Nah! No Mutt and Jeff or Jiggs and Maggie for me. Give me Horror. Give me Crime. Give me Lurid Romance. And I am not the oldest member here! So nyah nyah nyah nyah! Beedy beedy BEEdy! tongue.gif