• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Con sellers seem to be in the wrong business. SMH

305 posts in this topic

Do you even deal with books that are under $500 anymore?

To a high rolling rock star I wouldn't think a $130 dollar book would cause a arm hair to flutter.

lol

I do, when I have time. I can't set up at US shows without a green card or a work visa and I'm often on the road when there are local shows going on but I have boxes of under $500 books that are waiting for me to get to.

Immigration reform.

Hope Trump ends up building the northern wall next! :jokealert:

To a high rolling rock star I wouldn't think a $130 dollar book would cause a arm hair to flutter.

lol

I do, when I have time. I can't set up at US shows without a green card or a work visa and I'm often on the road when there are local shows going on but I have boxes of under $500 books that are waiting for me to get to.

Immigration reform.

:wishluck:

lol

Immigration reform.

And then Canucks will have a good laugh at Americans do what Mexicans do. Digging tunnels ... :whistle:

:jokealert:

lol

Simple, just sell them to me :whee:

lol

Immigration reform.

And then Canucks will have a good laugh at Americans do what Mexicans do. Digging tunnels ... :whistle:

Wow that's racist

lol

Immigration reform.

Wow that's racist

Racist_zpsvbnoya28.jpg

lol

Immigration reform.

Wow that's racist

I didn't know Canada and Mexico were races. I just thought they were countries.

I've learned quite a bit from this thread

1 - don't buy any more books from 1Cool

Crud that means those two last issues of Darkhawk I sold you for $1 would have been left unclaimed. I don't know if I can remember another board purchase meh

I've learned something also.

There are some guys who leave money on the bone.

Then there are guys who determine the discount based on what size bone it is.

I've put 1Cool in the quail bone category.

Big%20Bone_zpsteeobpj8.png

Seriously - I'm happy the discussion went so well and it was a pleasure discussing comics with people who have way more experience then I have on the topic.

My 2 cents-

Attended Fan expo canada again this year.

I couldn't find a single book I wanted that wasnt priced about 20% above GPA

Everything was overpriced. I see the comments about getting it cheaper on ebay vs the getting it in your hands without shipping and I feel its better to get it off ebay then. Most dealers I talked to weren't willing to budge on prices.

I understand that as a dealer you're there to make money, but you won't if you bring books you won't at least talk about a deal. Seems most dealers are content with selling the one or 2 books at above gpa and hauling the rest of their product back home.

I know for a fact if i ever had a booth id want to move everything. Im there to make money so i want sales. Sunday should be a firesale man. everything must go! haha

I look forward to your upcoming sales thread where you will be blowing out key books in a firesale! I'll definitely be there with cash in hand!

You missed my point. You go thru all the trouble to pay for a booth, lug all those books and toys across country unload and set up only to sell maybe 20 books above gpa then but your butt to load up and haul everything home again? no thanks. If it were me. IF. I would def firesale everything on sunday

As you just said, you're there to make money. Unless you got your inventory for free, I'm not sure a "firesale" would produce that result. 2c

Holding inventory costs money.

That's a great point about prejudging a potential customer. At one show I did a guy came to the booth about a half hour before show close. Looked like he couldn't afford the price of admission let alone comic books. He pulled at least 20 books from my boxes and asked to see a wall book. 15 minutes later he spent $700 with me. Young me might've said sorry I'm shutting down as he rolled up. Glad it was old me that day

I used to be that way with little kids, until the one day a kid who looked to be about 6 took $25 out of his pocket to buy one of my more modest wall books.

my best story about a younger buyer was at con a few years ago...he was fairly sharp, probably 14-15, came to our booth (by himself) and wanted to look at af15's...at the time, I had at least a half dozen copies on the racks and he wanted to see the best I had (6.0 at time)... it was a $18K copy at the time... he proceeded to compare to the 15K 5.0 and the 10K 4.0, etc...commenting on various comparative flaws, etc...he asked what my best price was, and I Think I said 17,500, but that I really didn't discount af15s (even then)... he said that was fair and would be back shortly to buy it... wasn't sure if he was serious or not, but did appreciate his enthusiasm and knowledge....

about 20 minutes later, he returns with his dad...his dad goes on to explain that a couple of dealers wouldn't even give his son the time of day when he inquired about af15's, but appreciated that I had not only engaged with him, but treated him as a "real" buyer....

father handed me 180 $100 bills (didn't even want the $500 discount)... that was a pretty cool dealio

That's a great point about prejudging a potential customer. At one show I did a guy came to the booth about a half hour before show close. Looked like he couldn't afford the price of admission let alone comic books. He pulled at least 20 books from my boxes and asked to see a wall book. 15 minutes later he spent $700 with me. Young me might've said sorry I'm shutting down as he rolled up. Glad it was old me that day

I used to be that way with little kids, until the one day a kid who looked to be about 6 took $25 out of his pocket to buy one of my more modest wall books.

my best story about a younger buyer was at con a few years ago...he was fairly sharp, probably 14-15, came to our booth (by himself) and wanted to look at af15's...at the time, I had at least a half dozen copies on the racks and he wanted to see the best I had (6.0 at time)... it was a $18K copy at the time... he proceeded to compare to the 15K 5.0 and the 10K 4.0, etc...commenting on various comparative flaws, etc...he asked what my best price was, and I Think I said 17,500, but that I really didn't discount af15s (even then)... he said that was fair and would be back shortly to buy it... wasn't sure if he was serious or not, but did appreciate his enthusiasm and knowledge....

about 20 minutes later, he returns with his dad...his dad goes on to explain that a couple of dealers wouldn't even give his son the time of day when he inquired about af15's, but appreciated that I had not only engaged with him, but treated him as a "real" buyer....

father handed me 180 $100 bills (didn't even want the $500 discount)... that was a pretty cool dealio

Yeah, you win. lol

I have a friend who runs an ebay store and sets up at cons, some small and some large. He says that he makes most of his money of pop culture merchandise, graphic novels, and tpbs.

Myself, I haven't been to enough cons to make any particularly salient observations. I've been two a couple of local ones, in Nashville and then in my hometown, where there were some good books at good prices, but invariably I have seen sellers whose books are priced so high that I wasn't persuaded to even bother haggling. Their starting point was so high that I couldn't imagine a way to find a meeting point. That experience was with a seller who occasionally runs large sales threads here with overgraded books, so go figure.

But again, I plan to go to more cons than I actually do...nowhere near the experience that many of you have.