• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Con sellers seem to be in the wrong business. SMH

305 posts in this topic

My prices are on the back of the book.

Frankly I find post it notes unprofessional and not very appealing to look at. If I wanted my booth to look like a flea market I would set up at one.

I don't have big stickers that don't come off,

Most customers can't even read the post it notes from 6 feet away.

I will gladly quote you a price or show you the book.

Why are buyers so afraid to ask and see the book? If one book is priced high you assume the guy is a crook? What? I have 35K books in inventory, do you think I update my prices daily?

Bob

Hey Bob,

it is nice to know you have prices on the back of your books. But, that does nothing for me. You can have professional prices on your book and not look like a flea market vendor. if I see a price on a book, then to me it means you know what your asking. Therefore, I can ask to check it out instead of no price, I show interest and you make up a magical number.

As for finding a price to high...are you a crook...nope not at all and I would wish you the best in making a sale.

Frankly I find post it notes unprofessional and not very appealing to look at. If I wanted my booth to look like a flea market I would set up at one.

Why are buyers so afraid to ask and see the book? If one book is priced high you assume the guy is a crook? What? I have 35K books in inventory, do you think I update my prices daily?

Bob

What's different about updating the price on the back of the book or on the front?

The price is the conversation starter, not the book itself. If wall books aren't clearly priced I generally move right along.

I price the book the day it is posted on the website. I am very rarely pricing a book while at a show. And the same price on the sticker would be the same price it is going up on the website. I don't have convention prices.

So I'm clear.

My raw books have the grade/price on the front of the mylar.

I use a small sticker so that I'm not "hiding anything".

My CGC books are priced on the back, again, not to hide anything.

Much clearer ;)

Hey Bob,

last post was too late for the above. This does make it clearer and I appreciate this business model.

X-Men #141 and SS #3 are hard to replace?

Are you sure you see the big picture?

When sellers are treated fairly and a buyer spends a lot of money relationships are made and future deals come along. If you consistently chew a guy down because of "your profit margin" you aren't going to be the first guy to see my stock when new stuff comes in that I could have given you 20-30% off.

I wish I had an easy time replacing books like X-Men 141 and SS 3 at wholesale prices - it sure would make life easier. I do not mind (and have quite frequently) given great deals to people on the boards since my overhead is pretty much paypal for purchases here. But when the casual person walks up and wants 20-30% off books like X-Men 141 and I'm already giving 15% to the house to set up then I typically wonder what the heck I am doing there.

This one time a Toronto Fanexpo...I attended a booth and they had a comic on their wall that I was interested. The comic had no price I asked an individual working at the booth what the price was before looking at it. The guy says I think it's $40.00

I ask to look at it, then another guy walks over and say's oh that's $80.00 I walk away.

When sellers are treated fairly and a buyer spends a lot of money relationships are made and future deals come along. If you consistently chew a guy down because of "your profit margin" you aren't going to be the first guy to see my stock when new stuff comes in that I could have given you 20-30% off.

I wish I had an easy time replacing books like X-Men 141 and SS 3 at wholesale prices - it sure would make life easier. I do not mind (and have quite frequently) given great deals to people on the boards since my overhead is pretty much paypal for purchases here. But when the casual person walks up and wants 20-30% off books like X-Men 141 and I'm already giving 15% to the house to set up then I typically wonder what the heck I am doing there.

It sounds like your best course of action is to simply BUY at conventions, and do your selling online. 2c

Well if your only source is buying from other dealers then you have a very limited business model.

Why aren't you buying collections?

Do you Advertise?

Why aren't collectors selling you books?

Are you capitalized to write big checks if the opportunity presents itself?

This one time a Toronto Fanexpo...I attended a booth and they had a comic on their wall that I was interested. The comic had no price I asked an individual working at the booth what the price was before looking at it. The guy says I think it's $40.00

I ask to look at it, then another guy walks over and say's oh that's $80.00 I walk away.

Yes, the no price at all scenario never works out. I also hate buying "new collections" that are not priced because the seller always assumes that if Bob wants it the book must be high grade.

Bob

If I can quickly see what the price range is for a dealer I will know whether or not it's worth my time at that booth. I like to really hunt and go through as many boxes as I can while I'm there.

Price tags are great for flippers but I'd think from a collectors standpoint you would not mind asking for a price on a book since it's a book you need. Of course when even the collectors are pricing out 8 copies of a book before buying I can see why asking for prices of each one would be a drag.

I don't like not seeing prices because I just don't like to talk to people. I don't like dealing with sales people anywhere I go. I go, I shop. I find what I want & I like to consider prices without some dude hovering over me while I'm deciding. And then, when I've decided if I'm interested in it enough to crack open my wallet, I'll engage. But for the most part, I like to shop in peace. Doesn't matter if it's for comics or a new TV or a car or a video game or something.

Bob

If I can quickly see what the price range is for a dealer I will know whether or not it's worth my time at that booth. I like to really hunt and go through as many boxes as I can while I'm there.

Price tags are great for flippers but I'd think from a collectors standpoint you would not mind asking for a price on a book since it's a book you need. Of course when even the collectors are pricing out 8 copies of a book before buying I can see why asking for prices of each one would be a drag.

I buy to sell to buy for my collection. You'll never know if I want it for the PC or to sell. :ohnoez:

For a professional dealer, most silver or bronze age books should be fairly easy to find at margin....especially high print run issues like XM 141 or 266. If you can't find books like that at favorable prices fairly often (like daily/weekly) you are probably doing something wrong.

Sounds like you may need to devote more time to networking and finding collections.

Bob's point about capitalization is a good one. Its importance can't be overstated.

We just finished the Edmonton Expo this week and it was interesting to hear how other dealers did. The general consensus from them was that it was a bad show, with some not making their costs back by the end of Saturday, which was the big sales day.

However, if you talk to the buyers the two complaints we consistently heard about other dealers as they bought the same books from us was that 1) their prices are too high and/or 2) the books are overgraded. It is funny how accurately graded books and realistic pricing will attract buyers.............

Well if your only source is buying from other dealers then you have a very limited business model.

Do you Advertise?

I tend to only buy from Dealers if the books is way under priced or a ultra hot book that they may have not adjusted yet - typical flipper situation. I've bought 2 collections this year and concentrated on setting up at a bunch more Cons to sell off the collections. Based on my limited experience I do much better being patient and selling online while in the mean time getting high grade books graded. I'm scaling down to just three smaller Cons next year and see how that goes. Always living and learning.

Bob

This +1 I'm often the guy that is still digging through the boxes while dealers are packing up. I just don't have the time to be asking prices on every book I might be interested in. Especially at one day shows.

Do you Advertise?

That's my problem - I need more collectors to sell me wholesale books! I've got 7K burning a hole in my pocket right now so you horders hit me up :luhv:

I tend to only buy from Dealers if the books is way under priced or a ultra hot book that they may have not adjusted yet - typical flipper situation. I've bought 2 collections this year and concentrated on setting up at a bunch more Cons to sell off the collections. Based on my limited experience I do much better being patient and selling online while in the mean time getting high grade books graded. I'm scaling down to just three smaller Cons next year and see how that goes. Always living and learning.

So your business model is "flipper" and your source is other dealers.

Nothing more exciting to dealers then seeing flippers at the booth looking to make money off their mistake or to have their Hot books sold to a guy wanting 20-30% off.

Not sure if you see this but you are NOT exactly the guy I would give first shot to.

I have no problem with guys making money off me but picking me off is not exactly a warm business relationship.

Do you Advertise?

That's my problem - I need more collectors to sell me wholesale books! I've got 7K burning a hole in my pocket right now so you horders hit me up :luhv:

buy my drek too?