• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Marc Lasry Collection

62 posts in this topic

There is just so much good stuff coming to the market. I think I will pass on all books unless the price is low. I kind of want to see if we are going to start to see a trend of books coming to the market.

Well, if everybody is going to follow this strategy, then I guess we all know which way the comic book marketplace is heading. :tonofbricks:

Actually, I believe there is some truth to what you are saying here. With well over 1,200 books posted so far and possibly more scans to come from his collection, I don't even have the time to scroll through them all, let alone open up each one to see if it's even worthwhile to take a shot at bidding on it. Of course, that's also because I am not really looking to purchase anything nowadays in this high priced marketplace.

With so many books out there, there should be some bargains out there that are overlooked or simply passed over as collectors have their eyes elsewhere since their wallets are only so big. A lot of work though to try to follow everything to see which books are going to be bargains in the end. :(

There is just so much good stuff coming to the market. I think I will pass on all books unless the price is low. I kind of want to see if we are going to start to see a trend of books coming to the market.

Well, if everybody is going to follow this strategy, then I guess we all know which way the comic book marketplace is heading. :tonofbricks:

Actually, I believe there is some truth to what you are saying here. With well over 1,200 books posted so far and possibly more scans to come from his collection, I don't even have the time to scroll through them all, let alone open up each one to see if it's even worthwhile to take a shot at bidding on it. Of course, that's also because I am not really looking to purchase anything nowadays in this high priced marketplace.

With so many books out there, there should be some bargains out there that are overlooked or simply passed over as collectors have their eyes elsewhere since their wallets are only so big. A lot of work though to try to follow everything to see which books are going to be bargains in the end. :(

If you just look at ComicConnect, HA, and CLINK, it is pretty overwhelming. Couple that with an assumption of about 500 more books to be posted by HA and probably 800 by CLINK and I think you have a real big group of nice books. Can the market absorb all of it at top dollar? I don't know, but I think I may go in to bottom feeder mode rather than 2x GPA mode.

Honestly, I don't see HA's offering grow much more. They're at 10 pages (at 72 results per page) and if you look at past auctions, that is about the sum of their offerings.

ComicLink offering so far has been lukewarm.

Larson bat 1...pretty cool

Back in the day I inquired with Joe Tricarchi about the book, but he said he was saving it for his daughter's college fund and I never followed-up.

Any idea when Lasry might have picked up this Larson copy of Bat 1? ???

Looks like he is a long term collector who has probably been in the marketplace for close to a few decades by now. Looks like a significant portion of his collection was purchased back in the days of raw comics collecting prior to the advent of graded comics. hm

Definitely no quickie flash in the pan big money collector like Jay Parrino or Gary Keller who didn't hold onto their books very long and lost big time money on them as a result. Looks like Lasry is going to do okay as he probably quietly brought most of his books early on in the game, without all of the flash and glam that Parrino and Keller experienced. (thumbs u

I can tell you, from personal knowledge, Marc has been a collector for many years.

When Schmell sold his SA collection years ago people said the same thing. There were still $4M in buyers waiting to scoop it up.

Many books went for record prices, many fell through the cracks, but as a whole the entire collection would probably sell for more now than it did 4 years ago.

It's the same discussion going on in other threads, on whether maximizing your dollar is worth the extra time and effort.

Sure some stuff falls through the cracks but over all the guy is going to make a killing as a long term collector. If someone is looking for a combination of liquidity and return this is probably the best way to do it.

As far as whether the collection can be absorbed, there are more millionaires and billionaires and therefore high profile buyers than ever before. You have Metro's billionaire owner of the 'impossible collection', we know certain celebrities and musicians are current buyers, and we know other high profile names who are either buying or at the very least bidding. I'm sure that it will do fine.

It appears Mr. Lasry may be in financial trouble and needs to liquidate.

"Amid a negative performance and a shift to funds with longer-term investor commitments, the distressed-investing firm Avenue Capital Group is closing its original hedge fund, Avenue Investments, and returning money to the fund's investors."

CNBC -- Nov. 11, 2015

That's not my take on what's going on here as I don't think this is distressed selling (pun fully intended) of his comic collection to cover redemptions in his under-performing hedge fund. As the article indicates, this is really a drop in the bucket for him and really more significant from a symbolic point of view since this was his original hedge fund which he is now closing down:

With just $350 million under management, Avenue Investments now accounts for less than 3 percent of the more than $13 billion managed by Avenue overall.

What I see is really more of an astute business move of selling when the comic book market is at a relative high, coupled with a tax planning move in terms of being able to offset all of his profits from the sale of his books with the losses incurred in his hedge fund. ;)

After all, sales of his comic book collection would only be a drop in the bucket as compared to the monies required for closing down a hedge fund in the hundreds of millions of dollars. hm

This collection is just mind blowing. No matter what Detective/Batman I search for, it's there. Even the two I need for my Joker collection :wishluck:

Yes, but no Fox or Centaur books no matter how hard I look. Or for that matter, not a single Spidey in there at all. :P

Ok, Fox and Centaurs I can certainly understand since they are not part of the Big 2, but not the Spidey's or Wonder Woman ending only at issue #2. I am now wondering if there is more to come in future CC auctions? hm

That WW #1 is shockingly nice in person. It looks like it's brand new (I didn't see the BC though).

Sharp corners and edges and nice and bright. A high collector recounted how Fishler acquired the two WW books. He said he was standing at the Metro booth in SD years ago and a guy walked up to Fishler with the books in two paper envelopes. Stephen's eyes lit up and he bought them on the spot.

They're basically DC file copies.

He said he was standing at the Metro booth in SD years ago and a guy walked up to Fishler with the books in two paper envelopes. Stephen's eyes lit up and he bought them on the spot.

So, I guess you are saying that Fishler initially acquired both the WW 1 and WW 2 which were eventually sold to Lasry and these are the 2 copies that are now available in the upcoming CC auction? hm

Must have been well over a decade ago as Fishler has not attended a SD Con since the early 2000's, as far as I know. (shrug)

That WW #1 is shockingly nice in person. It looks like it's brand new (I didn't see the BC though).

Sharp corners and edges and nice and bright.

I was the one who originally brought the other 9.0 copy to market, and I agree that the corners on this one are just a bit sharper- I think it presents slightly better than the other 9.0