• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New case and oil looking puddling??

38 posts in this topic

Really a sad commentary on slabbing. Not really sure why the "other" guys don't have these oily problems (shrug)

Guess it really doesn't pertain to me since I crack my books out anyway, but dang thats just not right

What makes you think "the other guys" do not have occasional issues with puddling?

They certainly do.

It is light reflecting through the inner and outer well.

A small amount of puddling on book like a squarebound silver age book, as can be seen in the reholdered Surfer 4, is unavoidable.

# physics

# its teh scienze

I think we can all agree CGC had this on some level in the past....but after seeing thousands of slabs this just looks MUCH more pronounced to me. Science or not, the product doesn't look appealing like this... It doesn't make my feelings about it abate....I may understand WHY it's happening, but I don't have to like it/agree with it.

I think we can all agree CGC had this on some level in the past....but after seeing thousands of slabs this just looks MUCH more pronounced to me. Science or not, the product doesn't look appealing like this... It doesn't make my feelings about it abate....I may understand WHY it's happening, but I don't have to like it/agree with it.

:think: if they put some micro-chamber paper on the ourtside of the covers, it would totally solve that problem. And probably absorb some of that unsightly oil too....,

:think: if they put some micro-chamber paper on the ourtside of the covers, it would totally solve that problem. And probably absorb some of that unsightly oil too....,

:takeit:

Another good solution is to simply not put the book in the case.

A small amount of puddling on book like a squarebound silver age book, as can be seen in the reholdered Surfer 4, is unavoidable.

Unavoidable ? I think not, otherwise every squarebound out there would have puddling. In the past it was an easy, in hand, fix. As pointed out, with the new holders, not so.

You can explain away at the science all you want but the bottom line is they look bad. So bad that the book is not even desirable to the owner anymore. That is very sad.

Unavoidable ? I think not, otherwise every squarebound out there would have puddling. In the past it was an easy, in hand, fix. As pointed out, with the new holders, not so.

You can explain away at the science all you want but the bottom line is they look bad. So bad that the book is not even desirable to the owner anymore. That is very sad.

I agree. And everyone here loves CGC (or we wouldn't be here)...but let's call it what it is...unattractive. I like the extra sealing but it does appear that it also removes a solution that has worked for others in the past.

I'd love Harsen and others be transparent and discuss what (if anything) can be done to help with this. I know I'm at a crossroads b/c eventually I'll need to make a decision to not purchase these books and/or not re-holder what I have.

I know I'm at a crossroads b/c eventually I'll need to make a decision to not purchase these books and/or not re-holder what I have.

Puddling or not, I think re-holdering all your books for the new holder style is questionable. It's not exactly a cheap endeavor. I also think there is a certain amount of risk for damage. May I ask why you would do this ?

:takeit:

Another good solution is to simply not put the book in the case.

:lol: you're preaching to the choir on that one!

Spectacular Spider-Man (1976 1st Series) #64 CGC 9.8 (0962606006)

Graded August 2nd, 2016.

Some of the worst 'Newton's Rings' I've ever seen. Purchased from MyComicShop store on eBay. Here is their response:

The "oil stains" and newton ring effect have been present to some degree in some CGC slabs well before the case change, and after the case was modified--it's just that they were even more common and severe in the new case before it was "fixed".

While it'd be great if no CGC slabs had any newton ring effect, that book does not appear to me to be particularly unusual--stuff like that can be found on many CGC slabs. And, like I said, that slab was graded well after CGC modified it's case to address known problems, so even if it was recased today it would be going into a new slab structurally similar to the one it's already in.

Best,

Conan

IMG_6281_zpsjw1ykoce.jpg

IMG_6282_zpsbrywapmz.jpg

IMG_6297_zpszhezkghc.jpg

I know I'm at a crossroads b/c eventually I'll need to make a decision to not purchase these books and/or not re-holder what I have.

Puddling or not, I think re-holdering all your books for the new holder style is questionable. It's not exactly a cheap endeavor. I also think there is a certain amount of risk for damage. May I ask why you would do this ?

Trust me, I don't treat it lightly. I've heard the inner well gets to get replaced (someone said it was very yellowed) and the micro chamber needs to be redone. At "some point" I'll also have mixed style holders. I had this same crossroads when I had v1 and v2 holders in my collection. It may not even need to be something I consider for a while, and where I am in my collecting is much further along than when I did this last time when I had much fewer books to tend to.

But that's all academic now anyway b/c what I have now would look better in the case than the new result--which was the purpose of my statement.

Looking at the Spidey book above made me think that SOMETHING in the product changed or something in their slabbing process changed that made these more pronounced. I couldn't stand a book that looked that bad in the slab. I guess I'm the vocal minority but it's clear to me something changed for the worse. Conan's comments are of course makes good sense, and why trying to get any of this addressed is all mental masturbation until CGC finds a better way to minimize it.

Freemason, sorry about those prism rings; they don't look good and aren't acceptable.

My last submission was only 4 books 'cause I was paranoid about what I would receive. My submissions, you have to hold at really weird angles under bright lights to see any semblace of the rainbow effect.

I was really happy with what I received and the new cases, honestly.

Looking at the Spidey book above made me think that SOMETHING in the product changed or something in their slabbing process changed that made these more pronounced.

The new holders are very snug and exert more pressure. Maybe it's just a matter of two surfaces touching each other more often with the pressure. (shrug)

Looking at the Spidey book above made me think that SOMETHING in the product changed or something in their slabbing process changed that made these more pronounced.

The new holders are very snug and exert more pressure. Maybe it's just a matter of two surfaces touching each other more often with the pressure. (shrug)

The original premise before they had to reintroduce the inner well was to do just that. Not sure if it's simply applying the failed pressure design with the inner well that's causing it, but it makes sense. I'm also wondering if the new Barex everyone is using is another contributor somehow.

The original premise before they had to reintroduce the inner well was to do just that. Not sure if it's simply applying the failed pressure design with the inner well that's causing it, but it makes sense. I'm also wondering if the new Barex everyone is using is another contributor somehow.

It isn't.

The newest version of the new holder doesn't apply any more pressure than the previous generation - the problem is that the slab itself is sealed on the sides which means that you can't insert a piece of paper to separate the inner well from the slab and thereby lessen the appearance of the newton rings.

With that said, I have about 45 books in the new case myself and none of them look anything like the spiderman book shown in this thread, whilst I have books in the previous generation holder that looks just as bad as that book.