• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do people really mean when they say "pet-free home"?

27 posts in this topic

It does seem like a pretty pointless distinction. I can say in all the years I've been selling comics that have been (properly) stored in the vicinity of dogs, ferrets, and/or a cat who is pretty adept at breaking into closets, I've never once gotten a pet related complaint.

Maybe the pets were not picky about what comics they use?

I know enough to stay away from the holo-foil covers - those will tear you a new one. :P

It does seem like a pretty pointless distinction. I can say in all the years I've been selling comics that have been (properly) stored in the vicinity of dogs, ferrets, and/or a cat who is pretty adept at breaking into closets, I've never once gotten a pet related complaint.

Maybe the pets were not picky about what comics they use?

I know enough to stay away from the holo-foil covers - those will tear you a new one. :P

You're missing out. Holo-foil are the most baller thing ever.

da03a76449e4e853cf24b2696f8ebd99.gif

I too get annoyed by "pet-free" comments in sales posts.

to write that implies that people with pets leave their comic books laying around for their dog/cat to walk across them or sleep on.

Or perhaps they line the litter box with SA books.

Not really. Some people just have allergy issues or don't like the idea of animals living in a home. Everyone is different.

In much the same vein, some people refuse to buy comics with certain defects (like bug or animal chew) while others have no problem with the same defects or even find them desirable (like water stains, the make comics inexpensive while still looking nice IMO).

Every listing I ever make on eBay is the same...

Comes from a smoke free, pet free, air-conditioned home.

Nowadays with SOME items I have to add this: (which is sad)

"Comes from a smoke free, pet free, bed bug free, air conditioned home."

I said it before and Roy echoed it. To most it is meaningless salesmanship. Having actually seen someone go into anaphylactic shock just from peanut oil in food, I am sensitive to possible allergic reactions in others. The last thing I would ever want to do is sell a jacket to someone that is allergic to animal dander and NOT disclose that I have a cat or a dog.