• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Marvel SA keys

Top 5 Marvel SA keys  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Top 5 Marvel SA keys

71 posts in this topic

yeah, the top four are pretty obvious. it's that fifth that's the bugger

I can't see how anyone could say that it's not ASM #1. Would anyone argue about whether Batman #1 is one of the top DC Golden Age keys simply because Batman first appeared in Detective 27? Spidey 1 blows away all of the other books on that list apart from AF#15, FF1, Hulk 1, and X-Men 1.

I can't see how anyone could say that it's not ASM #1. Would anyone argue about whether Batman #1 is one of the top DC Golden Age keys simply because Batman first appeared in Detective 27? Spidey 1 blows away all of the other books on that list apart from AF#15, FF1, Hulk 1, and X-Men 1.

I guess there's just so much happening, so many new characters all at once, characters that are all still in the thick of the Marvel universe, thats its hard to vote for a book like ASM 1 and ignore Daredevil entirely, or Iron Man.

I know jack about the Golden Age, but so few characters are still relevant, its a no brainer Batman #1 would be included. The book is still being published 65 years later when most of the Golden Age's characters are long since gone.

I can't see how anyone could say that it's not ASM #1. Would anyone argue about whether Batman #1 is one of the top DC Golden Age keys simply because Batman first appeared in Detective 27?

The comparison is flawed since you're forgetting two characters that made their first appearance in Batman #1- Catwoman and The Joker.

I can't see how anyone could say that it's not ASM #1. Would anyone argue about whether Batman #1 is one of the top DC Golden Age keys simply because Batman first appeared in Detective 27?

The comparison is flawed since you're forgetting two characters that made their first appearance in Batman #1- Catwoman and The Joker.

Quiet, you!!!! makepoint.gif

I disagree. It's about characters. Spider-man is already represented by AF #15. Therefore, I chose X-Men #1 as it is the debut of one of THE most popular comicbook teams.

Also chose AF #15, FF #1, Hulk #1, and TOS #39. I would rank Daredevil #1 as #6 and JIM #83 as #7.

can't see how anyone could say that it's not ASM #1.

Well, apparently you can't see, as most are not voting for ASM #1 as the fifth seed.

I almost don't include it in my TOP 20 as stated before, IT DOESN'T ADD ANYONE TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

I'm kind of dissappointed that you didn't include FF #5.

He is the most important Villian in the Marvel Universe. hail.gif

And he has his own ride at Islands of Adventure. (Along with Spidey, Hulk and X-Men). And FF has a cafe. So maybe that's how we should determine the TOP FIVE. acclaim.gif

I'm kind of dissappointed that you didn't include FF #5.

He is the most important Villian in the Marvel Universe. hail.gif

And he has his own ride at Islands of Adventure. (Along with Spidey, Hulk and X-Men). And FF has a cafe. So maybe that's how we should determine the TOP FIVE. acclaim.gif

Yeah, I believe that's the only legitimate top-5 book that was mentioned on the other thread that I didn't include in the poll..but there'll be plenty of room for it on the upcoming "Top 20" poll!! acclaim.gif

I voted for JIM #83 in the 5th spot, but it's not a strong #5 as ToS 39 is in the same league IMHO. However, value aside, I own all the books on the list and if I could only keep 5 of them, ASM 1 would replace both the JIM and ToS issue in the keeper pile... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like my Avengers 1 pick for 5th is just not very popular. But as important as Thor and Iron Man are, their solitary contribution to Marvel ia less than the Avengers to me,, and Avengers INCLUDES them, so I dont mind leaving out their first appearances. Course, if the Iron Man movie hits, #5 will be all but sewn up, as the list corresponds to Marvel's hit film library now. (Had Daredevil done better. I dont think we would be arguing about 5th place.

Looks like my Avengers 1 pick for 5th is just not very popular. But as important as Thor and Iron Man are, their solitary contribution to Marvel ia less than the Avengers to me,, and Avengers INCLUDES them, so I dont mind leaving out their first appearances. Course, if the Iron Man movie hits, #5 will be all but sewn up, as the list corresponds to Marvel's hit film library now. (Had Daredevil done better. I dont think we would be arguing about 5th place.

What did you expect? $170 mil box office. For a second tier Marvel character. FF should make $300 million by those standards.

Yup = shaping up as expected with JIM 83 and TOS 39 battling for the 5th spot.......and i do find it almost beyond comprehension that someone could leave off AF #15........ 893whatthe.gif

It wasn't me grin.gif As much as I love FF, I'm not that stupid. acclaim.gif

Easy. No new characters. 2nd appearance of Marvel's biggest character, even in his own title, doesn't trump first appearances of other major Marvel characters.

BTW, and not to hijack this thread, but Batman #1 would not be in my Top 5 GA keys:

1. Action 1

2. Dectective 27

3. All-Star 3 (I'm spacing out, this is the first JSA, right?)

4. Detective 38 (love them or hate them, boy sidekicks were a staple of GA books and Robin kicked it off)

5. Like the other top 5, this is the tricky one. Is it Superman 1? All American 16? Flash 1? All-Star 8 (1st appearance of Wonder Woman, who along with the Big 2 were the only characters to keep running continuously from GA to SA)? Regardless, I would definitely rank Superman 1 and All-Star 8 over Batman 1.

can't see how anyone could say that it's not ASM #1.

Well, apparently you can't see, as most are not voting for ASM #1 as the fifth seed.

I almost don't include it in my TOP 20 as stated before, IT DOES ADD ANYONE TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

Not only is that flat out wrong, but even if it were correct, who cares? As I understand the poll, the poll is asking what are the top five Marvel SA keys. In other words, which five would you most want to own?

Anyone who would take TOS 39 or JIM 83 over Spidey 1 is insane. I don't care whether Spidey 1 introduced new characters or not (even though it did). If that were the measure of what makes a key, the first appearance of Herbie in Fantastic Four would be more of a key than Spidey 1.

What makes a key is not just whose first appearance a book is. Spidey's first appearance in his own title and second appearance ever? First issue in what is perhaps the greatest single comic series ever? First appearance of J. Jonah Jameson (one of the most pivotal people in the history of the Marvel Universe), John Jameson, and Chameleon? First FF cross-over? Origin retold? Walk around a convention and try to convince someone that THAT is not a huge key issue. And it's a key that is more important than the first appearances of marginal characters like Thor and Iron Man who couldn't shine Spidey's shoes.

As I understand the poll, the poll is asking what are the top five Marvel SA keys.

You are correct! thumbsup2.gif

In other words, which five would you most want to own?

You are incorrect! makepoint.gif

A key book isn't necessarily the most expensive book (FF 2 is worth more than Avengers 1 or DD 1 but no one mentioned FF 2 in the original thread), it doesn't have to introduce a major character (Spidey 1 is definitely a major Marvel SA key even though it doesn't introduce any major character), and it doesn't have to be your favorite book (a Spidey fan may have no interest in owning FF 1). The list of key books encompasses all these things, but obviously it looks like the majority of posters place the highest value on the major 1st appearances, and rightfully so I do believe.

Anyhow, so far it looks like Pimpy was the 1st to get it right! yay.gif

As I understand the poll, the poll is asking what are the top five Marvel SA keys.

You are correct! thumbsup2.gif

In other words, which five would you most want to own?

You are incorrect! makepoint.gif

A key book isn't necessarily the most expensive book (FF 2 is worth more than Avengers 1 or DD 1 but no one mentioned FF 2 in the original thread), it doesn't have to introduce a major character (Spidey 1 is definitely a major Marvel SA key even though it doesn't introduce any major character), and it doesn't have to be your favorite book (a Spidey fan may have no interest in owning FF 1). The list of key books encompasses all these things, but obviously it looks like the majority of posters place the highest value on the major 1st appearances, and rightfully so I do believe.

Anyhow, so far it looks like Pimpy was the 1st to get it right! yay.gif

I don't see how anyone who has actually READ JIM 83 could bring themselves to vote for it. It would probably win my vote for Stupidest Marvel Silver Age Key.