• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The influence of writing on the cover

9 posts in this topic

Perhaps I'm the exception, but arrival dates don't bother me all that much. I object more to the plastic coffin the book is encased in.

However, if the book was a 9.0 with a subscription crease, I wouldn't touch it raw or cooked. Just my preferences.

I don't care how nice a book is otherwise, I would never put big money into a copy with writing on the cover or a subscription crease. To me, those are reading copies. Now, I wouldn't throw away a detective 27 or an AF 15 cuz of a cover date, but I would never ever pay 9.0 price for them (of course, I could never pay for them anyway, but that isn't the point)

...or maybe it's because there are so many high grade copies of this book floating around, a 9.0 is no longer good enough. I laugh at the fact that some people have such a hard time with such a small insignificant date on the cover of this book. Your collections must be very small....

I think it may be more the value of FF 48s in general - hell a very nice 9.2 sold last night for a mere $835! I think that is below the Overstreet high price. Almost went after it but too much else going on. But there may be lots of good deals on ebay in the next few weeks - I am betting on a real buyers market. But if a 9.2 with no writing etc goes for $835 that puts the 9.0 at about $500? A small date stamp or writing doesn't bother me a lot either - unless it's on the middle of the cover or on a characters face or something. I have seen people complain about dates on the first page and on the back cover!

From what I've seen, there isn't too much of a price spread between 9.0 and 9.2, but $835 for a 9.2 is quite low.

But, as has already been mentioned, there are so many slabbed copies available above 9.0 that anyone who really wants this book can afford to be picky.